BreakAway: Indoor Training App Now with Intervals.icu Calendar integration (Workout Of The Day)

Hi all,

I’m so excited in seeing this work after some days of putting this together. I’ve been using and testing this on and off over the last couple of days and I think I’m finally happy with the way it’s performing.

I wanna thanks @david for the API Access in advance for some things he’s helping to sort out at his server end but it should be minimally impacting. (The app is currently configured to only pull WOD (workout of the day). Eg: Today but some server side challenges is making it such that workouts for the next day is also pulled as well)

I’ve made a short 17sec video showing it in action.

ps: I’m the developer for the app & this is slated for the next release.

9 Likes

Apple just approved the next revision of BreakAway: Indoor Training app w/ the changes that enables Syncing of intervals.icu calendar directly into the app. (still working on weekly summary, but figured i’ll release what I have first rather than waiting)

Go to Settings, and flick on the Connect to Intervals.icu switch. Once you’ve login, then you’re good to go.
Screenshot 2021-11-16 at 6.48.25 AM

By default, the app will only download the WOD (Workout Of the Day), but you can change that by enabling the “Download Entire Week” option.

The other options there is for

• don’t mess with the recovery intervals when you press the +/- buttons
  • processing of outdoor rides as Power based Indoor rides and it will convert your outdoor ride coasting to a min % of FTP.

Do a “pull to refresh” within the Library Tab, within the PLAN segment at the top and it will sync the workouts from intervals calendar directly into the app.

Here’s a short video of how to activate this feature and doing the “pull to refresh” within the Library Tab of the App. (in the PLAN segment at the top)

Link to App:

6 Likes

Used the BreakAway app for the first time last night after a clarification on usage from the developer. Nice companion app for Intervals. I’ve struggled to find a slick solution for riding my indoor sessions from Intervals without doing a lot of copying.

Suggest an interval forward and backward button in addition to the power controls.

1 Like

Hi -

Thank you for your suggestion. This feature has now been coded and undergoing testing. (let me know if you wish to participate in beta testing. I can send a invite link via to your email, but you would need to download the TestFlight App)

Take note that skipping the current Interval will only be enabled during Structured Workouts mode (not Slope Simulation Mode). In addition to that, when an interval has been skipped(by pressing the Skip Button - highlighted in Red Box in above screenshot), any future workout cues present in the workout will not be shown anymore.

Workout Cues are based on specific timestamps within the WorkoutFile and Fast Forwarding to next interval messes up the timestamps in relation to the workout file.

I’d happily beta test the feature. Thanks

Does this have power match?

Hi -

Thanks for your question.

Power Matching is available via 2 options within the Settings Tab.

Here are 2 FB Posts about this feature:
PowerMatch Post #1
PowerMatch Post #2

2 Likes

Here is the public link for this. Take note that you will need to download testflight App.
You will be notified (by apple) when the new beta is ready to download. (just submitted it, it might take a 24hrs or it might take few days to get approved for beta release to testers)

Edit : Apple Approved the beta. This beta enables the “skip current interval” function.

I’ve downloaded the app to try and can’t get past screen asking for Peleton, Zwift, or Garmin connection. I don’t use any of these. Wahoo, Trainerroad, and Intervals.

Hi,

I do not understand. The app does not connect or asks for any Peloton / Zwift or Garmin connections. If you want to connect to any external services, the only suported ones are Strava / Dropbox and Intervals.

Screenshot 2021-11-16 at 6.48.25 AM

Would you mind uploading a screenshot?

Ah, wrong Breakaway cycling app! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:Sorry! `

How workout cues are shown within the app. This is applicable for both workouts uploaded via Dropbox or via intervals.icu

(The below video workout cues are via integration with Intervals.icu)
Note : Default setup of cues

1. If there are workout cues present, cues will be displayed 5seconds before the start of the next interval and proceed to be displayed for until 5 seconds after the interval starts. (This is based on the default of 10s interval cue duration per intervals.icu. You can manually change that and reupload the workout back to intervals.icu)
  2. cues are only shown if the (current) interval length is > 30seconds (otherwise, the cue duration and the cues to be shown will overlap to next interval or be garbled up sequence wise)
  3. default cues, if there are no workout cues present are to show
  • “Prepare For Next Interval”
  • Next interval Length
  • Next interval target power

Finally, you can also put in cues at any time within your interval by downloading the MRC file from intervavls.icu and editing it manually and re-uploading it back to intervals.icu

eg:
0 warmup 10
30 good progress 10 (this will show a workout cue starting at 25s into the interval and show for 10s)
60 1st interval 10

3 Likes

The Skip Current Workout Interval Function (in video)

I used the App synced with interval. At the end of the workout the app did not synced back to interval. It keeps telling me that I need more medals (I.e. to see more ads) but next message is that no add are available. Tcx file is available in Dropbox but when I try importing in interval, it gives an error.
To be an “easy-no fuss-just work” app, this is too much to withstand!

Thanks

Can you please mail me (david@intervals.icu) that tcx file. That part might be an Intervals.icu bug. Tx.

Hi David,

Thanks. I sent you an e-mail w/ tcx file

Ale

Hi There,

Sorry for the trouble.

Once workouts are completed, files are directly sync’ed to Strava / Dropbox / Intervals depending on what options are selected by the user. If you see the TCX in Dropbox, that means that the sync code is executing. What about strava? Not sure if you’re connected to Strava tho.

There is an option to do a re-sync (I had to put this in mainly because of Strava API limit, something which even david is having issues with) within the library tab.

Oops: I just found that I neglected to add in the code to also retry sync to intervals.icu again which I just Fixed - will send to apple for next release)

With regard to the message that you’re seeing about in-sufficient medal, i think this is probably because you are trying to re-start another workout? (we check prior to another workout being started to ensure that your workout don’t stop midway, which would make for a terrible experience) This message should not appear otherwise. Can you please confirm?

Can you also send me the TCX? (app4g.devel@gmail.com) and if the error persists, it would greatly help if you can enable debugging mode (input “loglevel10” into the developer text field within Settings) and this would generate a DebugLog.txt txt file in the History tab)

Again - apologies for the issues you’re facing. I’m sure we can sort it out these teething issues.

1 Like

Tx. The file wouldn’t upload due to a bug in Intervals.icu not BreakAway. I have fixed it and will deploy Sunday AM (GMT+2). Sorry about that!

1 Like

Err… @david i just tried a dummy upload directly from BreakAway and it went in easily. (See the “~BreakAway” text)

Anyways, good to know. But looks like I’m gonna be busy releasing a BugFix release update to Apple tonight. (to add re-sync option to intervals.icu)

Thanks!

The file in question had HeartRateBpm records with zero and my code to toss those was buggy. Anyway it’s fixed now.