BreakAway: Indoor Training App Now with Intervals.icu Calendar integration (Workout Of The Day)

Thank you both David and app4g.

Alessandro

1 Like

@david need your expertise here. could you take a look at the TCX file (dropbox link below) which i’ve created using BreakAway to have the TCX file support Each Interval as a Lap (I just recently found out that intervals can also utilise an option called “use Laps”) so I’m trying to see if I can utilise that feature as well.

Here is how it looks like when uploaded to Garmin Connect.

The laps show up on the map and on the individual lap summary.

I also uploaded the TCX to runanalyze and it too was able to process the laps.

Perhaps I’m doing something wrong on intervals, but when I upload the TCX here, and then I use “use Laps”

The graph/chart does not change.

When I compare the TCX data from my app vs that from a Garmin Uploaded activity, it looks to be the same except that i don’t have a maximum speed tag. Is this the reason, I wonder?

Note : I did Upload to Garmin Connect, then exported that file as TCX (Garmin did put in the Maximum speed tag) and reuploaded to Intervals and still the same. No Laps.

Thanks!!

I uploaded that on my laptop and the laps came out ok. The trick is to tick the “Keep all laps” box as well as “Use laps”. Otherwise Intervals.icu still processes the laps and gets rid of ones with low power which is all of them in this case.

Thank you For the confirmation and the guidance. I’ve wrote up a “howto” of sorts for others in the thread where I found out about this feature.

@David, it seems to me there is a general “bug” here in i.icu: The first level “use laps” never really works, you always have to go to “Analyze” and then check the necessary checkboxes.
Maybe the top-level “use laps” should really be removed?

1 Like

For those that are using this app, firstly - TQ for your support.

I’ve uploaded a new version which would be ready for release soon as I’ve done more testing on it. In the meantime, if anyone is interested in testing it, the public link is below.

Join the BreakAway: Indoor Training beta public link

Changes:

• PowerRamp now supported on workouts eg: 10m 40-50% (tested based on workouts generated from intervals.icu workout builder specifically)

• PowerMatch w/ on workouts that has PowerRamps

• IdleTimer (when workouts not started, app will honor phone settings on when to do auto lock)

• HRV and LR Power Balance is now supported and will be written to the output file. (ONLY when user selects to Save As Fit file - option in “Advanced Options”. Current iteration will save both FIT and TCX(as backup) for the time being with FIT being the file that gets uploaded to Strava and Intervals if enabled. Future release will eventually migrate over to FIT only). Both FIT and TCX will also support LAPs, hence you can use interval.icu’s “use laps” feature to align the intervals based on the prescribed workout you’re doing.

• within advanced option there’s also an automatic “Screenshot Workout” option which will automatically save a copy of your completed workout as a 4:3 format photo. You can also add some workout details such as Name/Total Time / Distance / Speed of the workout as well as any “canned” custom text. (Take note that there’s no Auto-Upload to Strava - API for that is only available for the big Players such as TR / Zwift / Rouvy etc)

• 3rd row of telemetry is now available showing Speed / Distance and LR Balance if any of these days are available. (Speed/Distance only available if user enables Virtual GPS and LR Balance only if power meter supports it). Also, 3rd row available only in Portrait Mode due to space availability.

• Split Screen View on iPads that supports it (Youtube - How Split Screen Works). This way you can run BreakAway alongside watching a video on Netflix for instance. Or, if your trainer supports it, you can execute a structured workout, with the app controlling the trainer and have it alongside Zwift where you can enjoy the virtual scenery)

• Fixed a bug w/ Strava Login (alongside some other small fixes)

Thanks!! And Let me know feedback / bugs / improvement etc.

1 Like

This looks amazing. Congratulations. I wish I had an apple phone.

Any thoughts on a future android app with ant+ support?

1 Like

It also works on my iPad Mini 2 (circa 2013, running IOS 12)
I wish i had an android phone/tablet to play around with as well :-p

Yes. Actually, BUT (and it’s a big BUT) given that it’s taken me 1+ yr to get to this stage (from zero swift knowledge), it will take me similar if not longer for Android. (I also don’t have an android phone, my dad had a huawei P50, but can’t find where he misplaced it). The other thing is also the thought of the many variations of android + phone hardware just frightens me lolz.

3 Likes

Just uploaded a new BETA (Same link as above) Changes includes the addition of W’ Bal(kJ) in similar fashion as what you see on intervals.icu. You can turn ON/OFF this field within “Advanced Options” (in future, this will likely pull the WPrime values directly from intervals.icu and auto-populate/update but for now it’s manual)

Also fixed Workout Cues Support to also include MRC/ERG files from DropBox. Thanks for the feedback from one of the testers.

1 Like

Just tried using the app

Unlike bundled workouts, intervals icu workout requires 130 medals for each workout. Is this really intended? it needs like 10 views of ads and actually rums out of ads before I can run a workout

Hi, It is one medal per minute of workout. Yes it’s annoying! to get the medal I have to open the app every now and then and launch the adv.
Hope that the developer can find another way

Hi @111 , thanks for trying out the app and providing feedback. The calculation for workout time to medals is like what @Alessandro_Cella mentioned, 1medal per 1min. Hence, 1hr workout = 60medals. (The ~100 Bundled workouts does not require medals.)

I agree, It’s not ideal to be watching so many ads for 1hr of uninterrupted workout (I’ve considered showing an ad every 20min or so similar to FB/Youtube but i myself hate it, and I believe users won’t like it to).

I’ve tweaked the calculations once per @Alessandro_Cella’s feedback (in the BETA), but I think the situation is also that I only considered that all indoor workouts are 1hr long, hence on average, ~3ads. Your workout is ~1.5hours so i’ve tweaked the calculations again to account for longer workout times for future release.

But, i think the fact is, I really need to finish implementing in-app-purchases (for medals) such that there’s a choice between watching an ad or buying the “medals”.

Thus far, I’ve paid Apple USD198 (USD99/yr) to list this app on the Apple Store (>2000hrs spent developing) and to keep this app low/no cost, I’m using Ads to offset the cost paid to Apple. (for over 1+yr, Ad revenue has been < USD30)

@Alessandro_Cella would you mind letting me know how the newest Beta for “spiral of death” fix has performed? Does it automatically go back to target power once you resumed pedaling? If Yes, then I’ll see if Apple will let me release that version without going thru another review.

I’m finishing up another new feature (user selectable data fields, I have like ~30+ fields that can be changed across 3 data screens). hopefully can release for BETA for this feature soon.

Thanks guys for supporting the app. The more users use it, the more motivated I am to continue developing it.

Can I use BreakAway for running workouts? If i just pair with stryd as powermeter?

I haven’t found any other app (than the strydapp itself) to do running workouts by power.

1 Like

@Knut_Petter_Svendsen I “guess” you can… BUT, I’ve actually specifically ignore the stryd (as it mimics a bike power meter) such that it doesn’t interfere with the automatic connection. (For this app, I made it such that there’s no need for user to intervene w/ connections, there’s no setup, it’s auto based on what it detects)

I think Its possible for me to have an option for it to be enabled under “advanced settings”. I also currently do not have “pace” as one of the data fields. (But, as I’m working on DataScreens & DataFields selections), it’s possible that I can just add it in. Although there won’t be any sort of ability to control the power.

let me explore the possibility. (But honest question, Stryd itself just announced their mobile app is now “treadmill” capable, hence I’m thinking along the lines of “why”? Would love to hear more about this from you as another perspective)

Lately I’ve been thinking: Do I really need a stryd subscription?

I plan my workouts in intervals.icu. Made my own power based workouts, and don’t use their training plans. Don’t know if I need a membership to do workouts in the new “treadmill experience” or to use the “stryd workout app” on my watch.

So if it is feasible to get support for running in BreakAway without too much hassle I’ll give it a try :slight_smile:

Hi,

I wonder about the split screen option. Doesn’t seem to work on my iPad pro when I want to use Breakaway and Zwift/RGT. Does it work only with certain app?

Cheers,
r.

Are you going to sync the data to their platform I think is a key pertinent question. Because, when you use a Stryd, the only way data is going INTO Stryd PowerCenter is to use their (watch) datafield or their workout app (and Now their mobile app too i think).

They have some “checks” to see if the data is valid and contains STRYD data before being permitted to be uploaded there. (They, unlike Garmin, for now, does not allow any data that doesn’t use their device to be uploaded there)

So… if you plan on using any other app, chances are you Will not be able to upload to their platform and do X or Y.

From what I read, their mobile app has 12 free workouts you can peruse. Any Others will need a membership. (USD9.99 IIRC)

In terms of hassle, I can upload a beta which removes the “Stryd” check and you can check it out. But, there won’t be pace data. Just Power, and Interval countdown and etc just like a typical Indoor cycling app. Let me know if you’re interested.

Thanks for your question @Raphael. There are a few caveats in doing that.

First - you need to have a compatible Smart Trainer. (from the video i’ve linked above, seems like not many trainers have multiple Bluetooth Connections - Mine for sure don’t) and you need to have one of those for this to work.

Second - This new feature is only in the BETA app (public link in previous posting) and not the one released on the Apple App Store. You will need to have the TestFlight App installed as well. Are you using this version?

Finally - I do not have a compatible trainer nor a compatible iPad (my ipad mini is circa 2013 and still works for this app. yay!) to actually test this out. I’ve been using the simulator.

I’ll be happy to work w/ you to see what’s happening tho.

Thanks for trying out / supporting the app!!

Ok thanks, Normally my Elite Zumo can have multiple BLE connection (I have used both phone and iPad with different app). But I don’t use the beta version. I will wait that the feature is released on the normal version.

ps: what are the Medals for? and any way to pay a fixed price to get rid off the google ad?

Actually, the sooner I have confirmation of the BETA working, the sooner I can release it. Your confirmation would also help immensely.

I’m still working on the “In-App-Purchase” portion of it. Also kind of hesitant as I feel there’s many ppl who are looking at low/no cost training apps and even the hint of seeing “in app purchase” available on the App Store is a turn off. Having said that, I think it’s also evident that there are those that prefers not to deal w/ the medals portion of it.

Have a read at this post which I’ve explained what the “medals are”