Garmin v Strava for feed upload

I see that my intervals.icu data is feed via my Strava feed. Is there any benefit in changing it to Garmin Connect or is the Strava data exactly the same as GC data due to the fact that GC feeds my workout data to Strava anyway? Cheers Adam

GC > Strava

1. Strava is rate limited. (API calls.)
  2. Strava doesn’t send all the data (LR Balance / HRV)
1 Like

Thanks, so you recommend I cut off the Strava feed to intervals.icu and connect it to GC?

The short answer is - It Depends.
Long Answer - What works for me, may not be what works for you.

eg: For me, I use Strava instead of GC due to my workflow

Outdoor rides
Garmin → Strava → Intervals (Outdoor PM is 1sided anyways)
Garmin → TrainingPeaks (TP - Free) [ I honestly only use it for the weekly (daily) TSS chart it has on the mobile app. Once I replicate that on BreakAway, taking the data from intervals, I’m likely ditching it altogether.]

Indoor Rides
Garmin->Strava->Intervals
Garmin → TP
BreakAway → Strava + Intervals (LR Balance / HRV / Elevation / Speed / Dist etc from BreakAway direct upload to both Strava and Intervals)
Both Strava and Intervals does the dup filtering. (and Garmin uploads to Strava gets filtered)

But if you’re using Strava, you might want to search the forums to see what item #1 beings (rate limited due to API Calls)

cheers.

Many thanks for your comprehensive response. Final question - can I connect Int.icu to both GC & Strava or will that duplicate & corrupt the data feed as its coming from two data sources?

intervals has it’s own dup filtering.
but if you’re using GC, just disconnect Strava to save on the API calls and possibly save yourself from some headache.

Ok thanks. I’ll connect GC as well as Strava and see what happens. Thanks for all your help.

I have mine configured to both, but switched back to strava for now. Would it be possible to sync from Garmin, and then have an option to reload from Strava or vise versa for individual activities?

The reason I ask is I like to see the strava segments in intervals.icu, If I load it from Garmin I get additional features like the power meter battery status, but then I loose the Strava intervals showing at the bottom of the graphs, which I can then turn into a work interval of my favourite climbs etc.

It would be good if you could toggle an option on the activity to sync from alternate source you have configured. It already has the ability to recognise the Garmin and Strava activity ID in my case

but only the option to reload from the primary source.

I have keeping the Strava segment data when a Strava activity is replaced by a Garmin (or Suunto etc.) one on the todo list. I should just get that done!

2 Likes

Hello. I coach an athlete who’s manual uploads aren’t coming across from strava. They always did up until 4 weeks ago, but noticed its only sending watch recorded activities now.

Is it because of something we’ve done when also connecting GC to intervals, or because she’s not paid member, or something else?

ETA: sorry for basic post. I’ve clicked download activities any they’ve pulled through.
But any reason they’ve stopped coming across automatically?

There’s changes to Strava connections to save on API Calls (v limited)

There’s also the option that you can get your athlete to manually upload to Intervals, otherwise visit intervals.icu every so often.

Alternative is to use a Training App that direct uploads to Intervals.icu & Strava

BTW - activities from Garmin should transfer automatically to strava & intervals.icu if connected. Shouldn’t need manual uploads.

Please post a link to one of her activities (on Intervals.icu) so I can have a look. As far as I am aware manual activities should come accross.

Thanks both.

All activities she uses garmin watch for automatically upload. It’s just the last 4 weeks of manual uploads to strava (pool swimming without watch).
Eg Intervals.icu

If it’s just as simple as me or her pressing upload like I have done today that’s fine, but given it used to do it automatically thought I’d check.

not sure if you read the linked thread… but for strava activities to come thru, your athlete needs to visit intervals.icu once every 28days (min IIRC) otherwise it will stop syncing.

and you said 4 week of manual upload…