Slope Based Structured Workouts Now Supported (BreakAway: Indoor Training iOS)

Been Testing this for a while. Now it’s released and live on the App Store (‎BreakAway: Indoor Training on the App Store)

You can now create and execute Slope based Structured workouts created using Intervals.icu (using its Workout Builder) to automatically trigger between ERG Mode and SLOPE Mode without user intervention for workouts synced from Intervals.icu into BreakAway: Indoor Training App (No meddling, no need to change anything. Just ride)

You can create a FULL SLOPE based structured workout. (with or w/o ramps)

eg:
-1m 1%
-10m ramp 2 - 5%
-1m 1%

or even a mix ERG & SLOPE Mode
-1m 50% ← ERG
-10m 2% ← SLOPE
-1m 50% ← ERG

essentially, anything <= 10% Power will be SLOPE mode w/ the % value being sent to the trainer.

Because in slope mode, you’re sending the desired SLOPE to the trainer (along w/ your user weight), the graphical look of the Structured workout will look weird as you can see above but it will execute those <= 10% Power as Slopes.

Feedback / comments welcomed.
Happy Training.

3 Likes

Someone just asked this, so I’ll put the answer here as well.

For slope based workouts, it’s good to have the User Weight input as well. This will be used for the trainer to calculate the resistance/power needed based on that weight.

Note that the Bike Weight is currently fixed at 10kg, hence if you would like to better improve it’s accuracy, you can offset that weight via your user weight.

eg:
User Weight = 80kg, bike weight = 8kg; total weight = 88kg

Hence, User weight to input into App = 78kg (after minus out the 2kg from the Bike weight difference)

Thanks

Note : If you’re executing workouts that are sync’ed directly from intervals.icu, then the userweight is taken directly from your intervals.icu weight settings.

1 Like

I just tested with my Zwift hub and it works flawlessly

i set up a test of mixing 20s 5% slope sprints with 20s (FTP% based) recovey repeats and I could ride it on my zwifthub.

gear used:

breakaway on ipad - bluetooth control over the smart hub and separate power pedals
zwifthub & assioma - setup in powermatching in breakaway
edge 530 - recording the assioma power
workout read with intervals.icu integration

1 Like

I forgot to update this thread w/ the new method to do SLOPE/RESIST Based Structured Workouts.

While the previous method can still be used, it’s a bit counterintuitive and what’s worst is that one can’t see the target power for that particular intervals.

This has now been changed such that an automated ERG+RESIST workout will show the correct Workout Graphic and also change from ERG to RESIST mode automatically.

This is how the workout graphic is shown in the app

This is the corresponding workout in the workout builder.

Here, I have coded this feature (Hack) to use the Interval Cues/Comments for users to input the desired SLOPE % for that particular interval.

This would be in the form like below. Note that you would need to use the “#” as delimiters.

#x.x% SLOPE#

Once you have this workout in intervals.icu, it would sync to the BreakAway: Indoor Training App.

Note: You can also (manually) specifically change from ERG Mode to RESIST Mode or vice versa anytime during your workout.

1 Like

@app4g How can I use 2% slope for a Z2 workout (let’s say at 115w) for 60mins? I’m not sure how to edit the workout for the above setting, can the slope and ERG work together?

For Slope of 2% (resistance mode) something like this would work

- 10m ramp 40-60% (67-100w)
- #2.0% SLOPE# 60m 80% (134w)
- 10m ramp 60-40% (100-67w)

The initial 10m + 10m (warmup / cooldown) will be based on ERG.
the 60m will be at 2% Resistance/Slope, the 134w is just there for the workout graphic to show where you should be hitting. (modify it per your 115w = x% of FTP)

1 Like

Thanks @app4g
and what mode should I be using during the workout? any manual changes required to the mode during the workout?

If synced from Intervals.icu calendar, it will auto switch (to RESIST mode). No manual switching needed.

But, if during the workout, you want to switch to another mode, you can do that also (Manually)

eg:

1. Workout in Progress (RESIST Mode)
  2. Go To SETTINGS
  3. Change to ERG (smart trainer mode)
  4. Go Back to TRAIN
  5. It will switch off RESIST Mode and use ERG mode at 115w (in your case)
  6. if you press +/- button, it will change the ERG mode target eg: 115w → 110w (and graphic)
  7. midway, you decide to go back to RESIST Mode
  8. go to SETTINGS (and tap RESIST)
  9. It will go back to the last RESIST setting used
  10. if you press the +/- button, it will change the RESIST from 2% → 2.5% (you can set it via SETTINGS on what increment you want)

You only need to manually change the modes if you would like to go from ERG->RESIST or RESIST->ERG or RESIST–>HR etc. The +/- button would react based on the current mode the workout is running at.

Hope it makes sense.

Let me know…

Tx

1 Like

got it thanks. I was looking for something like an ERG effect + slope. Not sure if it is possible to have the trainer set at let’s say 120W for a 60-minute ride with a consistent gradient of 2%. But the way you described it, it looks like the gradient will remain constant and the power input will fluctuate.

AFAIK ,smart trainers don’t work that way for SLOPE/RESIST modes. Only in ERG mode will the trainer (try to) keep at constant power you set.

For SLOPE/RESIST modes, this is like riding outdoors where you have to use your gearings and control your effort to ride to the prescribed / desired power output.

Outdoors, if the hill is a constant 2%, you can ride up the 2% at 100w or at 1000w, it’s up to you.

ERG mode is also something some people / coaches do not like as it takes away the Athlete’s ability to “feel” their effort / power etc.

I think you’re describing ERG mode.

Tx

1 Like

ohh okay… no worries… thanks for your help.

1 Like

if you do find out that there is such an option, let me know and i will research it.
tx

I tried to build a slope-based workout based on these threads and then import it into ZWIFT.
However, the intervals with values below 10% are also interpreted as FTP-based intervals on ZWIFT. An slope simulation does not work with this.
Has anyone ever gotten this to work with Zwift and can provide me with their workout?
Note: Neither ERG-mode (nor would I expect this), nor ERG-mode “off”, work here.

Hi -
This thread is actually talking about hacking the intervals.icu workout builder to support slope based workouts for my App (BreakAway: Indoor Training). I have edited the first post for clarity.

I do not know if it would work on ZWIFT.

Sorry about the misunderstanding.

1 Like

I create a Workout, of Power than HR based - THis works? (because i cant see on LIbrary/Plan) , its possible re-ride a Workout ? (i tried “pair workout” , but nothing happen)

HR Based workouts are supported yes. Mixed mode workouts are also supported (Power + HR based)

You can see more here.

To do that, you need to have the outside ride loaded and synced to the app via DropBox

The “pair workout” feature will pair the workouts planned (for the day on intervals.icu) if you have multiple planned workouts that did not get paired automatically.

When you pair within the BreakAway app, what happens is, it will pair the planned workout with the actual workout, remove the planned workout from the calendar and merge it with the actual workout. Same as what intervals.icu does when you do the drag and drop.

1 Like

THnaks ! I tried to find some workouts in the library i planned in INtervals.icu , but dindt appear. I send to dropbox and work. But i got the message i win Free ride , dont have Medals , so - i ride by myself.

i tried to set some HR based workout, but i realize i cant manual enter the Bpm Value , i need to hit the button until get in desire Bpm (i make some mistake?)

1- Its possible to count each interval as a Lap (for analyze after)?
2 - i can build the workout , and ride in some MAP/Stage i choose?
3 - You have plans for add Moxy/Nirs in the features.?

Did you refresh the library? When you plan a new workout in intervals.icu, you can refresh the App by “pulling down”.

In Free Ride Mode, there is currently no way to do manual Laps. Best is to execute it in structured workout mode

App supports FIT/TCX/GPX files, you can choose to ride by Power or Ride by Slope. (you can change modes using the SETTINGS → Smart Trainer mode). You can use GPX files of previous rides or even download GPX from Strava and use that)

I know about Moxy, but I do not know what is Nirs (is it Near-infrared spectroscopy - Wikipedia)?

Support can be added if there are demand and if i have someone willing to provide data/testing etc as I do not have those hardware. (This is how I managed to support the CORE sensor among others)