Breakaway Workout names integration with Garmin

AFAIK, there’s not “name” in a completed activity FIT file per se, it’s supposed to be embedded if it’s a workout file. I tried that, Garmin just didn’t want to use that (but intervals.icu was ok to accept that name)

So, that’s why the workaround is needed. It’s like if you do an actual outdoor workout w/ a garmin device, what gets uploaded to GC is the FIT file devoid of any naming and Garmin will auto populate the name based on GPS location, GPS Location + Device name etc (there’s a setting within GC)

which is also why when outdoor workouts are uploaded to GC and then fed to Intervals.icu, it gets the “default” name and any other edits on the orginal name is not fwd from Garmin anymore.

1 Like

GoToes has an option to change/add the activity name. I’ll give it a shot this evening by trying to rename an activity from GC and reuploading the modified FIT.
If that works as expected, you could try to contact the dev of GoToes. He’s quite open-minded.

Site down? Or my issue?

Here it is working correctly

Working for me too.
You need a license for writing FIT files, without license you can only do tcx.

site is working now for me.
Let me know if your experiment works…

Tx

But if I don’t directly sync between Garmin & your app, it won’t be considered for challenges/badges.

I’m not sure i understand.

Do this then the name will sync. Enable Direct Upload to Both Intervals/Garmin/RideWithGPS/Strava and you’re all set. (and w/ badges too)

BreakAway → Intervals.icu = Tempo/Progressive Build
BreakAway → Garmin = Tempo/Progressive Build

Currently I’m syncing
Breakaway > Garmin/Intervals both and as a result the activity is considered for Garmin badges/challenges.

but if I do breakaway > Intervals > Garmin; it will only save the activity but won’t considers its stats for badges/challenges. Correct me if I’m wrong though. I tried this Zwift/MyWhoosh and they only got saved as an activity.

this is the way… (The Mandalorian)

1 Like

There might also be a limitation when using the wkt_name in an activity file, when I tested using some workouts created within Garmin Connect w/ a LONG name, it gets truncated to I think max 16 characters.

I wonder if this is due to the Garmin Device I’m using (Fenix) or otherwise…

@app4g left a review for you on iOS also purchased 1 bundle of medals.

However I noticed that we don’t get medals for kms covered during any workout…. But on app it was mentioned that for every km we get 2 medals!!

Unfortunately, that option isn’t doing what I was expecting/hoping. It is just a way to name the exported FIT file and doesn’t change the activity name.
Looks like the activity name is done on the device itself, following the setting, and is hardcoded.

1 Like

Tx for your support! Every user counts!

Yes. You do get medals for completing workouts. You also get “Breaks” (My attempt at a version of “Drops” like zwift) But currently it does nothing.

I’ve put a MedalsFAQ in Settings but yeah the medals (needed) calc is 1min = 1medal or 1km = 2medals.

2 Likes

It’s actually not a random name. It’s a name that Garmin automatically put on any activity (uploaded by a Garmin device or manually) based on the user’s preference that he/she/they listed down at the preference section within Garmin Connect.

I think there’s like option for

1. GPS location
  2. GPS location + device name
  3. workout name (if it’s a planned workout)
  4. some other options
1 Like

@app4g which all workouts are not supported on your app? I got a pop-up stating
“Some Unsupported Workouts Not Sync’ed”

This has been clarified in the new release sent to Apple today.

Workouts that has no Intervals with Power / HR etc specifically.

eg: This…
Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 8.46.25 PM

But these will still be visible in the “Week In Review” pop up

1 Like

cool. Thanks for quick response

1 Like

@app4g It looks like “maxeffort” interval is not supported in the app and as a result the whole workout doesn’t sync. This makes it hard to have an ‘all out’ efforts during any workout. Any suggestions for this? How can i include all-out/maxefforts in current workouts that works on Breakaway?

I’m not sure what that means.

some search on intervals.icu forums

Seems like MaxEffort is a Zwift construct and is only techncally recognised by Zwift. Not sure what Zwift sends to the trainer.

For Max Efforts, I would suggest that you run the workouts in ERG+SLOPE mode.

Use a High Slope % for the max effort intervals and you should be good to go.