Distanced based workouts supported

These are now supported with upload to Suunto and Garmin. The add step dialog has been updated:

The units are km or mi (miles) depending on the pace units selected for the sport (min/km or min/mile etc.).

Note that unlike other workouts using % of FTP or HR or whatever the time and training load depends on which athlete is doing the workout. When you are editing one of these the settings from the currently selected athlete are used for pace and hence duration and load. If you add the workout to your library or create one there it is saved with duration and load from the athlete you had selected. When you drop it onto an athletes calendar then it is updated.

21 Likes

Thank you, David!

It is unfortunate that from the day 1 the minutes are denoted a m's in Intervals. Now it is impossible to use meters as a unit. But km's will do nicely!

Yeah I know that’s unfortunate :slight_smile: Cycling background at fault.

2 Likes

Swimmers will suffer the most :smiley: 0.025km in every workout

3 Likes

Maybe ‘mt’ or ‘mtr’ could be a shortcut for meters instead of 0.00x0km, i.e. 50mt = 0.0050km??

@david, to be clear, I’m super stoked for the distance based workout. I’m not trying to rain on the party, just thinking out loud for development.

Maybe in the steps builder the option could be for metres or km’s. If the former then, as an example, 50mtr is shown instead of 0.0050km. That would help run workouts with intervals <1km and, as pointed out, be much better for swimming. FTM, selecting yards vs miles would have the same effect so that swim workouts showd 50yrd, etc. I can’t even fathom what 50yrd is in miles fraction. :crazy_face:

Thanks David - this is great news - and as usual, shockingly fast.

I added some more distance units:

• miles
  • mile
  • mtr
  • meters
  • yrd
  • yards
  • y

You can also have a space between the number and units now “1km” “1 km” etc… You can also enter units in the distance box in the “Add Step” dialog.

9 Likes

So bloody awesome!! :call_me_hand:

THANK YOU. Today I swam and the workout worked perfectly! GREAT

One small thing: In the calendar view, the swim WO, rearranged with distance, does not show the wo graphic any more (only name, load and other text, but no graphic).

Confirming @Alessandro_Cella’s observation for Swim: no graphic in Calendar.

For Run, I’m not getting any graphic or estimated Load, only Duration.

@Howie You need to have pace setup for the sport in /settings, then it should work.

@Alessandro_Cella I fixed that bug a little while ago. Tx.

2 Likes

So cool, thanks a lot for this David.

One question: will the Press lap function still work with this?

Some people who do not have track mode (everyone with Suunto, I believe) may want to see their scheduled workout and every step in their lap, but be able to end each lap manually pressing the lap button.

Nice :smile: , been waiting for that! Thanks, looks really well.
Perhaps can you also add ‘min’ for ‘m’ and allow also allow a white space there? (As a swimmer, I way too often automatically write ‘min’ instead of ‘m’ and wonder why it’s not working :sweat_smile: )

Hi David,

Currently repeats are not working - i am unable to add them to workout plan ?

Ack that was a stupid error. Its fixed now. You can also create reps just by adding text “Blah 8x” or whatever:

Blah 8x
- 3km 80% Pace
- 1km 65% Pace
1 Like

Yes press lap does work. When it is used the step ends when the duration or distance is reached or the lap button is pressed.

1 Like

thanks, its fixed indeed now.

Okay, so just to make sure I understand:
If I have a training session that tells me to do 2 km reps on the track, the step will end either when I press the lap button OR when the watch “reads” 2 km, whichever comes first?

The issue with this is that the watch may read 2 km before I complete 5 laps on the track, which would end the step too early. If that’s the case, should I maybe prescribe in the workout builder:
-2.2 km press lap , but actually run 2000 meters
So the person (or myself) knows that they have to press lap only after 2 km?

That is correct. If you use the “Press lap” option. Otherwise the step will end when the duration is reached.

So yes you should probably make them a little longer for track work.

3 Likes