Strava sync to become a paid feature (paused)

I didn’t think that worked anymore. I thought Garmin stopped “pushing” activities that it “pulled” from Strava. Easy to confirm one way or the other I guess.

1 Like

For Zwift, I have the workout file folder open in one window and dropbox in another window and then manually copy over when I am done. It is not hard but not automatica. If I was less lazy I would replace that with a script but I would rather ride my bike than code these days :slight_smile:

1 Like

For TR, I save to Dropbox automatically and then intervals syncs to that. Works fine with zero issues.

1 Like

I was thinking the same, and did exactly that this morning. So, I currently have completed Zwift rides going to Garmin. But I just finished a Zwift ride, and it went to Garmin, but it didn’t get pushed to Intervals.

There’s a better way. Automatic.
Just symbolic link the folder.

If on Mac it’s “ln -s”.
On windows j think u have to install a 3rd party app?

2 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s possible, but it already works for the workout upload to Zwift via Dropbox. So you should be able to link the activity folder as well. I will give it a try next days.

3 Likes

@Nathan_S_Cuka you could just make a symlink of the Zwift folder to your Dropbox folder or use a file sync program (for example FolderSync)

No you don’t need third party app for windows to create symbolic link aka symlink. Just look it up, I don’t have the command at hand, but you just need command line.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing to this. I’ve implemented for both Workouts and Activities and it works perfectly (just need to change “Workouts” to “Activities” in the instructions). Now I can turn off the Strava connection, I’m only ever using Strava as a conduit to transfer activities to other apps anyway.

I’m not quite shure what happens with the “inProgressActivity.fit” from Zwift.
Have you checked this? Is it imported as well or is it ignored?

When it is imported perhaps @david could implement a ignore-files-list?

I (very, very stupidly) revoked the Strava access in a hurry without reading about the repercussions, nuking my whole account thinking I would just use Garmin import moving forward. When re-importing my activities from Strava it seems like it parses the best effort in a wrong way so I end up with having every activity marked with a new best effort.

Does anyone know of a way that I could either trigger a re-parse of my best efforts or if that is not possible, can I disable the feature all-together?

It looks like only one activity for that day is pulled through. The in progress file is identical to the final activity file for that day just missing the last couple of minutes (see comparison chart attached) so I suspect David’s code for handling duplicate activities already deals with this.

1 Like

You activities are still loading from Strava. When they are all done you can use the activity list view to re-analyze a years worth of activities at a time, starting from the oldest year. That should sort it out. You should wait until tomorrow to do that.

1 Like

Slightly off topic but it was never overly clear what being a supporter meant. I am a supporter although I just cancelled to try and work out what the paid features were but I couldn’t really see anything apart from feature requests getting more attention. I will re-support but it would probably be useful to everyone to have a clear understanding of the differences.

It’s not much more than E3 a month. You’re getting a service that exceeds anything any other analysis software provides, including Training Peaks. @David cannot run this facility for free. If users don’t support this and provide running costs and a decent salary then Intervals.icu will cease to operate. That for me anyway is reason enough, even if being a supporter provided nothing extra over a free account. It’s literally less than the cost of a coffee a month

8 Likes

One of the biggest reasons is not necessarily a feature, but rather to help David cover costs to host the awesome application.

Some features:

• full integration with 3rd party apps
  • quicker escalation of requests

€10/quarter is well worth it.

6 Likes

People need to earn a living!

4 Likes

Trust me, I am fully supportive of David and what he has built but these days people are used to the subscription model and having to pay for extra features. I became a supported because I liked what I saw and to help David cover costs but I didn’t really know what other features it unlocked. For others coming to the site with a different mindset they will want it to be very clear.

I get the sense that @david didn’t want to be pushy for getting people to subscribe or put features behind a paywall and this was as much a passion project vs a business. My main comment was around making it perfectly clear what being a supporter ultimately meant and making this easy to see when people first hit the site.

8 Likes

I thought the last couple of weeks about starting to support Intervals.icu as @david does an incredibly fantastic job here. So here we go, it just pushed me off the edge of being too lazy to do that :slight_smile:
10€ per 3 months it’s not a big deal for all the goodies we can see & analyze here.

Keep excellent work, David!

5 Likes

@david maybe Garmin is the better choice, a lot of activities are not splitted like most Zwift rides in Strava (warmup/race/cooldown).

But… When connecting Garmin we have a lot of additional activities, because Strava/Zwift and Garmin Indoor ride is not the same and intervals does not recognize as the same.

Do we have the possibility only to upload new Garmin activities, beginning from an individual date?