Respiratory rate

In fitfileviewer I don’t see the field

Golden Cheetah

I found it. Doesn’t have a name but is number 108. I have added support and will deploy Sat AM (GMT+2).

2 Likes

Thanks

It is live now. You need to do Action → Reprocess File to see respiration for existing activities. I did this on one of yours to test: Intervals.icu

1 Like

I also added “Avg Respiration” as an interval field.

1 Like

There is a quite evident relationship between these metrics, in an incremental test we could try to see if there is an evident respiratory change in the first threshold and look for that personal dfa value for each athlete, all of this we will validate with lactate. Stephen Seiler is currently working with respiration rate.

5 Likes

How do you record the Respiration on a Garmin (Edge 1030)???

I think it requires the Record HRV option to be active, because resp rate is derived from HRV

ok… but my HRV is still recorded

This might help:

You have to add a new data field, it is in heart rate.

What’s the name of the datafield? Respiration? I don’t find it!?

Respiration Rate

Ok, what if i don’t have this in heartrate or anywhere :neutral_face: (Garmin Edge 1030)

Google search:
https://support.garmin.com/en-NZ/marine/faq/2yEgS0Pax53UDqUH7q4WC6/

1 Like

On Edge 830 it is under HR.
If you have 1030 and not 1030+, try the fit file that enables HRV. You can find it in the HRV guided training thread.

1 Like

This is a screenshot from Garmin Connect for my last ride with the new Alpha HRV IQ field.

I have two traces for Resp Rate, one from Garmin Firstbeat itself and one from the Alpha HRV IQ.
How can i configure which one is shown in Intervals?
I’m pretty sure the one that is now visible is the one from Garmin, field 108. But I would prefer the one from Alpha HRV since it has been tested as more accurate. I can’t find anything to show the resp rate from the IQ field.

Correction: the one displayed in Intervals is the resp rate from AlphaHRV! Did some point by point comparisons.

2 Likes

alphaHRV measures quite well, we have to be clear that just as kubios does not but the measurements are perfectly logical. When Bruce did the tests he told us that it could be launched for use, not everyone has scientific kubios, hexoskin or movesense. At RR level, which is how the IQ does it, it works quite well, at ECG level nothing can be done, remember that it is a Garmin with no processing capacity.

Is there a way to set up RespirationRate-zones?

RR seems a very interesting measurement, even if the data garmin collects isn’t that accurate.
Like power and heartrate I think working with zones would make working with RR a lot easier, especially because it’s highly individual.

You cannot establish work zones by respiratory frequency, nor by dfa alpha 1 (as some do) nor by rr/a1. You would have to look at the same sessions that trends you have, both dfa and rr are values that depend on many things and can vary quite a bit from one day to the next.

1 Like