HRV-Guided Training

Usually they refer to a 3 zone model, where zone 1 is low intensity up to aerobic threshold, zone 2 is tempo up to anaerobic threshold and zone 3 everything above anaerobic threshold (VO2max).

Everything in zone 1 is considered low, zone 2 + 3 form high intensity. So sweet spot workout would, under this definition, already fall into high intensity since it should be above the aerobic threshold.

Great, thanks. So by this logic I can just do whatever workout is on the TrainerRoad plan on green/high yellow days, swap endurance rides on yellow/high red days and full rest or active recovery on solid red.

Found the complete study. It’s been done on runners and the intended intensity distribution was 50-50 High-Low. That’s why the original flowchart was modified.

3 Likes

Yes I am keen to look at that as well. Still trying to find out if a Polar H10 strap will record HRV on a Garmin Edge 130+. I don’t want to buy one if I also have to get a new cycle computer.

1 Like

I get HRV on an Edge520. I thought the Edge130+ had a similar feature set so I think the odds are good.

This could be helpfull if your Edge 130 does not record HRV out of the box:

Under the picture of the watch there is a link to github with a fit file that is supposed to activate HRV on older watches. May also work on your Edge 130.

1 Like

Tx guys. I think I will get a Polar H10 and see.

1 Like

Awesome, I really like my Oura ring. Also nice to be able to wear a non-sports watch every once in a while without going through data withdrawal!!

How thick does the Oura feel on your finger? My wedding band is on the thicker side and I haven’t worn it since our wedding day; Enso silicon instead.

Would consider an Oura but don’t know if I deal with the thickness.

I still know it’s there but its not bugging me much. Before this I didn’t wear any ring. If you can get the sizing kit from someone you can try that. The plastic rings in the kit are the same size as the real thing.

2 Likes

Tx. I copied this file into my NEWFILES folder on my Garmin Edge 130+, synced with GC on my phone, restarted the Garmin and it worked.

I have an easy 2h ride today so will look at that data.

2 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

Wahoo Roam can record HRV???

1 Like

I’ve been measuring my HRV using three different apps (Android HRV4, Elite and Kubios of late: I never enter any “how do you feel today” info) as well as the amazing Kubios PC program for several years. Unfortunately I was out of things for a year due to a shoulder injury but I do use my HRV measurements to guide my training/ life intensity. If numbers are low, I go easy - a brisk walk, not jog (zone 2 stuff). For my bike, similar. And that’s my health/ training plan. The chart makes a lot of sense: though the ‘low’ and ‘high’ intensities may be better represented by ‘higher’ and ‘lower’.
*kubios app is fast becoming my favourite
**Decathlon store hr monitor works well, despite what some app-owners say, and is very cost effective.

1 Like

I did the sam with my forerunner 735 and it worked too. I just need to get a decent HR strap now as the data quality from my old garmin one is shocking!

Intervals.icu now pulls HRV data out of .fit files if it is present. It doesn’t do anything with it yet but you can download it via the “Ride CSV” link on the activity data page. It’s not the same as the other streams in that it isn’t tied to the time stream. Its just a long list of “milliseconds between beats”.

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 16.16.35

5 Likes

Hi David

Is that the RR data stream from a fit file? If so I’ve done a bit of work on understanding this I can share with you.

Cheers

John

2 Likes

Thanks! Yes it is exactly that just in milliseconds. I have been looking at some of the DFA alpha 1 stuff. I will definitely ping you when I can get back to it. Right now this whole Garmin thing has pushed Dropbox to the top of the heap. But that shouldn’t take too long.

7 Likes

DFA a1 to get an accurate AT could really push intervals ahead of the competition and open up some great analysis opportunities. It doesn’t look like it should be too complex, although the hardware is still lacking somewhat.

3 Likes

Looking at that stream in Golden Cheetah, the timeline is made-up by adding all RR intervals. Which after all is logical but I don’t know how to handle missed beats. A missed beat would give a high RR interval and should be filtered out.