Respiratory rate

The English language, I guess. Not as expressive as other languages. Fortunately it’s not my words but a copy and paste from the good Doctor’s podcast.

Yes of course i was deliberately taking the words out of context for fun. Hope I didn’t offend.

1 Like

Life is so much easier with a sense of humour.

3 Likes

Breathing, like heartbeat, is controlled by the autonomic nervous system, so there is a relationship, at first threshold intensities, Polar H10, which does not generate artefacts. It would be interesting to be able to implement this metric at intervals. It is an option that we are starting to investigate with dfa, we are having some clarifying results.

Hello @david

This metric can be seen in intervals? It is really interesting. Thanks

If it is something that ends up in a fit file then yes. If you send me a fit file (or point me at an activity with breathing rate on Intervals.icu) I can have a look.

This activity have Respiration Rate Intervals.icu

Thanks @david

I don’t see anything in the fit file with fitfileviewer.com?

No, I noticed that too. Golden Cheetah does show those 2 extra fields…

In fitfileviewer I don’t see the field

Golden Cheetah

I found it. Doesn’t have a name but is number 108. I have added support and will deploy Sat AM (GMT+2).

2 Likes

Thanks

It is live now. You need to do Action → Reprocess File to see respiration for existing activities. I did this on one of yours to test: Intervals.icu

1 Like

I also added “Avg Respiration” as an interval field.

1 Like

There is a quite evident relationship between these metrics, in an incremental test we could try to see if there is an evident respiratory change in the first threshold and look for that personal dfa value for each athlete, all of this we will validate with lactate. Stephen Seiler is currently working with respiration rate.

5 Likes

How do you record the Respiration on a Garmin (Edge 1030)???

I think it requires the Record HRV option to be active, because resp rate is derived from HRV

ok… but my HRV is still recorded

This might help:

You have to add a new data field, it is in heart rate.