New AlphaHRV version

New AlphaHRV version

A new version of the IQ for Garmin AlphaHRV has been released, this version includes the calculation of the respiratory rate (not Garmin’s), according to Bruce Rogers we are on par with Movesense Medical, this parameter will be visible in the fit file and will be graphable in Garmin Connect, Wko5 and Intervals if David enables it. We have seen that Garmin’s calculation is not up to reality, AlphaHRV has created an algorithm that improves on Garmin. The graphical interface has also been redesigned.

8 Likes

The “respiration” field itself has been around for several beta versions 0.39/0.40/0.41/0.42. - Today, after updating to 0.50, it already saves data and is presented in GC:

regards

1 Like

It also shows up in Intervals.icu.

4 Likes

Look this I believe that with further evidence we can arrive at extracting an individual and personal DFA for physiological thresholds.

2 Likes

Is this a step or a ramp protocol?
About 10% FTP/4min starting from 55%?
Can you show us a screenshot of the dfa and resp rate graphs?

Here you can see every 8 steps of this test (power, HR, a1, RR, shown in the chart)

2 Likes

Right. After some iterations for internal tests (where no mention to this featured has been included in the changelog), 0.9.50 is the final release in this process that provides full support for RespirationRate for any user. I hope no one has been confused due to receiving several updates in a short time without detailed information

1 Like

do I have to install a separate CIQ app?

the only charts I see are:

Do you have the current version of “AlphaHRV”?
At least it must be v0.9.50, although the current one is v0.9.54.
Then you will have a respiration chart (because you already have HRV).

regards
Artur

Something is getting wrong with the update.
No matter what I try it shows v0.9.54 but Connect IQ says there is an update to v0.9.55.
Not to mention the error message when trying to save the configs.

(edit to v0.9.55)

Update directly from the Edge/smartwatch and CIQ app in it.

Is it possible to see the installed version in the watch?
is yours v0.9.55 dated of today?

tks

An update has been uploaded today

1 Like

What is new in alphaHRV is the respiratory frequency, the frequency is measuring practically the same as Movesense Medical, the tests were done by Bruce Rogers and the algorithm was adjusted until these measurements were reached. Why has the respiratory frequency been added? There is a similarity between lactate and sinus respiratory rate, so seeing changes in trends it is entirely possible to estimate the first threshold, I personally along with Iñigo have been doing tests with lactate and the truth is that everything we are seeing is very encouraging. Attached are the tests we did yesterday, I usually tweet all the results. The table shows in this order:
Lactate-Heartrate-DFA-SMO2 (humon hex)-Respiration rate-Power.

Respiration rate estimation 147 ppm

The following day we repeated the test again (without lactate) only with the respiratory frequency and the result was practically the same. The same protocol was used, 15 minutes very gentle (40% FTP) to “clean” lactate and then ramps of 6 minutes increasing 10% with respect to the 15 minutes, lactate measurements were taken the last 30 seconds of each ramp.

The AeT calculation is created through an algorithm created by my colleague and friend Iñigo, after I analyzed many tests, we saw that there is a change of trend in all metrics and thanks to that change we have created this that I have written above.

3 Likes

In my case, the results are completely wrong. During this workout I had a respiratory rate of around 17-20 and not 30-35 as your app indicates. The garmin estimate is already closer but still overestimated. Polar H10 heart rate monitor. Anyway, the AlphaHRV in general miscalculates my oxygen threshold. According to AlphaHRV I have an oxygen threshold of about 230W, and this is closer to my LT2 than LT1 :slight_smile:

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

The measurements are fully validated by Bruce Rogers’ team, Garmin grossly underestimates the measurement.
I don’t know how you have estimated the aerobic threshold with the respiratory rate but it is a data that has not come out yet, we use a software that is being created to do it, I doubt that you can do it manually. The aerobic threshold is calculated with heartrate and then we associate some watts in the change of tendency, all this we have with several lactate tests.
You also have a lot of artifacts (not normal), you should look with Fatmaxxer if there is a deviation in the respiratory axis and you have to move the heart rate monitor somewhere.

I didn’t estimate any threshold, I counted my breaths for a minute and came up with 17, AlphaHRV showed 33 and the garmin showed 22.
Alpha DFA1 0.75 I have at 230-240w and my FTP is something around 240w.

have you used a controlled ramp ?

1 Like

I think we are talking about totally different things, the respiratory rate we calculate has nothing to do with counting breaths, we calculate the sinus respiratory rate, which is a different concept and is calculated through rr intervals.
Thresholds are not calculated through Dfa-alpha-1 and even less with standard values of 0.75 and 0.5, just as nobody calculates lactate thresholds in 2 mmol and 4 mmol, the sinus respiratory rate has a high correlation with the behaviour of lactate, so we can detect two inflection points or two trend changes, through multivariable calculations we can detect the first threshold, assign a heartrate value, watts and a customised Dfa-alpha-1 value.
Breath-counting is not validation of this data.
We will start a validation with more than 1000 laboratory tests.

4 Likes

It is a test very similar to the lactate test, we do 15 minutes very soft (40% FTP) to “clean” lactate, then we do ramps of 6 minutes with an increase of 10% compared to the first ramp.
40%-50%-60%…

3 Likes