Workout builder

Garmin uses the intensity description in a summary of the upcoming workout step
Garmin shows “Active” and “Interval” intensity as “Run”, so with “Interval” being set as the intensity for a recovery step it gets confusing where you’re at in the intervals when working hard.

Also, the intensity is shown in the native Garmin workout screen

and I’m working on a workout data view that uses the intensity as feedback to the user

1 Like

One possible way to explicitly set the intensity without affecting the current behaviour would be to add a qualifier something like i:rest, i:interval, ect., where no qualifier (current default) would set ‘active’ intensity (or equivalent on non-garmin platforms)

Eg:
'Warmup
'- 5m 60-70% power=1s

'- 10m 70-80% power=1s i:warmup

'- Steady 10m 75-82% power=1s

'4x
'- 1m 98-104% power=1s i:interval
'- 2m 65-75% power=1s i:recovery

'- 2m 101-106% power=1s
'- 3m 65-75% power=1s i:rest

'- 6m 60-80% power=1s i:cooldown

Tx for all the info and screenshots.

I will see what I can do. Maybe just “intensity=interval” or similar (just “i:xx” is a little short) . Not likely to cause problems with existing workouts.

2 Likes

totally sideways but let me ask you: I wish (at least optionally) that Garmin’s workout timer could be “moving time”. Is that possible in your app?

tks

Is there something like a workout library where I can choose workouts I created in the past to place in my calendar again?

There is. Click the “Book” icon:

You can now specify “intensity=active” etc… The “Add Step” dialog has a drop down at the bottom with all the values for a fit file.

- 60m Z2 intensity=active

The Garmin API has less “active” and “interval” both map to INTERVAL and other is the same as auto.

If no intensity is specified (Auto) Intervals.icu will use INTERVAL if the power is >= half min Z2 power, or HR is >= 80% of top of Z1 HR or pace >= 80% of top of Z1 pace.

1 Like

Great stuff David. Tested and works perfectly :smile:
FYI “active”, “interval” and default pwr > 0.5xZ2 all mapped to intensity value 0 (active) when synced to Fenix 7, not sure if it would be device specific? Previously, the default pwr > 0.5xZ2 mapped to intensity value 5 (interval).

Interestingly Garmin Connect doesn’t even give the option of setting the intensity to Interval (other intensity settings are available). It also has an ‘Other’ intensity setting which maps to intensity value 0 (active) (on Fenix 7).

Training Peaks has 4 intensity options ‘Warm up’, ‘Work’, ‘Recover’, and ‘Cooldown’ which map to intensity value 2 (warmup), 0 (active), 1 (rest), and 3 (cooldown) respectively.

Final Surge also has 4 intensity options ‘Warm up’, ‘Run’, ‘Rest’, and ‘Cool down’ which map to intensity value 2 (warmup), 0 (active), 1 (rest), and 3 (cooldown) respectively.

Is there an option within the workout builder to have Intervals drive the training itself? Meaning right now I download a .zwo file and load it to my training app (or zwift itself) and then the app controls my trainer in ERG mode…any option or plans for intervals to do the same?

Likely not. It’s quite a business to control an indoor trainer and there are lots of apps that do that already (e.g. TrainerDay, BreakAway and icTrainer which all integrate with Intervals.icu). You can also use Garmin computers to do it (likely some others as well).

1 Like

Could it be possible to have a “summary” of previous lap when starting the next one?

Typically, would be great, when starting a rest interval to know if the target of the previous high interval has been reached (average pace, hr, power) etc

(Don’t know if this summary is available or not depending on the device, but what I can say is I don’t have one with a Suunto 9 peak pro)

Thanks for this great “workout builder” feature!

Hi All,

Is it possible to make intervals on a time/distance basis?
So for example:

• 0.8km 225s

I could try and find the percentage associated to the pace but that sounds a bit laborious. Specifically nice when you are planning Yasso intervals for example.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Sorry if I missed it. But is there a way to display average cadence in a workout on Zwift built in intervals synced via Dropbox. Seems to only have average power displayed. Thanks

I am not sure. Do workouts from other sources show cadence like that?

Presume you’re talking about last lap summary? Don’t know about Suunto, but typical Garmin has a lap summary page on the completion of a Lap (either Auto Lap or manual Lap)

Given your answer, this is confirming there is a difference between Suunto and Garmin there. On Suunto, there is no automatically a summary page displayed on the completion of a Lap indeed.
I’m going to see if I can customize the setup of my watch for adding such summary page by myself. Thanks!

interesting… well I learn something new today…
anyways, this is Garmin
https://youtu.be/T9FLx-B6Shk?si=ac5-cr87w3Qeb3fa&t=13 the “auto lap” screen.

1 Like

Hi @david first, thanks for this amazing tool!

I have a question about workout builder for weighted workout activities, for example gym workout or functional, I wanna create a Garmin Strength workout where i can specify:

• Number of sets per exercise
  • Number of repetitions per set
  • Weight used (if applys)
  • Time rest between sets

Is it possible?

May I suggest you give your input and remarks in this thread?

There are some possibilities, but advice and tips from actual users will be mandatory to make it userfriendly.

Screenshot (267)

I create a lot of workouts using the ramp function and they have always worked exactly as expected in Zwift until now. I created a new workout using very short ramped intervals and instead of a smooth progression I ended up with a series of large power jumps every 15 seconds, never reaching the maximum power specified for the interval. Here is what I was looking for, and the screenshot shows the actual result.

Main Set 5x
-60s ramp 120-200%
-60s 45%
-45s ramp 120-200%
-45s 45%
-30s ramp 120-200%
-30s 45%
-15s ramp 120-200%
-15s 45%
-5m 35%

Does anyone know if there is a minimum ramp duration for Zwift to produce a smooth power progression rather than these choppy steps?

Do your old “longer ramp” workouts still work when re-downloaded from Intervals.icu?