Workout builder

Did you try this without the ‘repeats’? It might work if you do it step by step, in contrast to different targets within one step (the repeats). Can’t guarantee but it’s worth a try.

Thank you for the reply, i tried:

• 5km z2 HR
  • 5km z2 pace

this gives the same result:

• on “auto” i get a load of 29
  • on “HR” i get a load of 29
  • on “PACE” i get a load of 16

but i expect a total load of 29+16 = 45

also when i transfer this to my Garmin i get either a workout based on pace or HR. If i select HR in the workout, i get in my garmin:

• RUN 5km on 157-165bpm
  • RUN 5km (without any target)

The device is another thing. Not all devices support mixing targets. Can you create this on your Garmin device itself?

I’ve tried unsuccessfully to get this to work too… While you can set up a “mixed” target workout in Garmin Connect and get it to your watch, mixed workouts created in intervals sent to Garmin seem always to be converted to a single target.

You can create workout steps with power, HR and pace targets but you need to select just one of those when performing the workout. The goal was to be able to use the same workout for athletes with power and those with only HR etc., not to mix targets within the same workout.

1 Like

For garmin export, Is there a way to explicitly set the intensity to one of standard .fit intensities?

Not at the moment. Intervals.icu maps warmup and cooldown and sets the others based on the power/hr/pace (under Z2 = recovery otherwise interval).

Warmup
- 10m Z2

Cooldown
- 10m Z2

Hello! Something must have happened in the past week, either in the workout builder or in my Garmin 955 (that had a couple of updates recently), because I had a run workout today and the behavior was very different than what it has always been in the past year, and it gave me a lot of trouble.
At the beginning of more or less half of the intervals, instead of the usual screen showing the duration and the text I set for the next interval (I set the text as the power target) the screen showed “Recover” and not the text I wanted. Is there anything I can do on the workout builder side? Thanks!

When did that first start happening?

Well… today… but I didn’t run last week. My previous run was on December 3rd and things were as usual. So sometime in the last 7 days.

I have just rolled back a change I made yesterday. Intervals.icu sets the intensity of each step based on the power. I changed that to use “recovery” for less than lower Z2 power instead of “interval” (was 50% of lower Z2 power).

If you make a dummy edit to a workout it will re-sync to Garmin. Otherwise workouts re-sync once a day or so anyway.

The workout display now expands percentages for zone based targets:

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi,

I’ve created the workout bellow with TYPE=“WORKOUT” and have tried to run it on Garmin first as CARDIO then as RUN but turns out none “mode” has showed me the MESSAGES and the Garmin workout pages were like I was doing a strength training…

1. I’ve created it as an “workout” (instead of run) because I didn’t want it to account as a run but something else (a drill).
  2. Even having running it also as “run” it didn’t work. I guess it was because it was not originally created as “RUN”. Is that it?

Bottom line: is there a way to run an “workout” other then as run, cycling, swimming that will show the steps messages etc ?

Tks,

Thanks David. Are there any plans to be able to set the intensity description in the future? Would love to be able to use icu workout builder exclusively. Cheers, Gary

What impact does that have on performed workouts on the watch/head unit? I have to be very careful making changes to the workout parser. Any bugs have large impact. I made a small change to intensity selection a couple of days ago and it broke workouts.

Garmin uses the intensity description in a summary of the upcoming workout step
Garmin shows “Active” and “Interval” intensity as “Run”, so with “Interval” being set as the intensity for a recovery step it gets confusing where you’re at in the intervals when working hard.

Also, the intensity is shown in the native Garmin workout screen

and I’m working on a workout data view that uses the intensity as feedback to the user

1 Like

One possible way to explicitly set the intensity without affecting the current behaviour would be to add a qualifier something like i:rest, i:interval, ect., where no qualifier (current default) would set ‘active’ intensity (or equivalent on non-garmin platforms)

Eg:
'Warmup
'- 5m 60-70% power=1s

'- 10m 70-80% power=1s i:warmup

'- Steady 10m 75-82% power=1s

'4x
'- 1m 98-104% power=1s i:interval
'- 2m 65-75% power=1s i:recovery

'- 2m 101-106% power=1s
'- 3m 65-75% power=1s i:rest

'- 6m 60-80% power=1s i:cooldown

Tx for all the info and screenshots.

I will see what I can do. Maybe just “intensity=interval” or similar (just “i:xx” is a little short) . Not likely to cause problems with existing workouts.

2 Likes

totally sideways but let me ask you: I wish (at least optionally) that Garmin’s workout timer could be “moving time”. Is that possible in your app?

tks