Workout builder

It is linked to pace zones. As soon as I type distance (4km), the duration is shown.

• Distance is specified (4Km).
  • Pace uses duration and distance (min/Km).
  • From the duration 30:16, I get 30.26667 in a decimal value.
  • 30.26667 / 4 = 7.5667 min/Km.

My threshold pace is 6:15, or 6.25min/Km.
7.5667 / 6.25 = 1.21 (121%)

Joe Friel’s 7 zone setting shows 121% as the midpoint of Z2. I haven’t specified a zone yet, so not sure why it uses 121%.

1 Like

Interesting. For cycling It just gives me 30kph no matter what power zone I specified.

- 30 km Z1 and - 30 km Z5 both give me 1h duration

there is no pace / speed settings for cycling…

1 Like

Yes for cycling it just uses 30 km/h just so it doesn’t break. Better to specify cycling by time with wind, hills and so on.

1 Like

Hi! :wave:t3:

If I use HR as a workout base, how will the trainer (Elite Direto) act? I guess there will not be any ERG resistance as there is no input … it’s just a “free ride” with the HR feedback? Thanks!

You are right…
the workout will show a Middle of the zone1 - Zone 2 HR and it will just be a visual cue for you to follow.

Unless of course you use an app which is able to control your trainer using your HR under ERG mode.

Like this app of mine: (iOS only)

1 Like

You have answered your own question.

If you keep your HR as close to a certain value, and adjust your power accordingly, you will get a good baseline test that you can repeat weekly/monthly to monitor progress. This applies the 50 minutes section only, for testing, and not the VO2 intervals at the end.

1 Like

Hi, I am a newbie with new powermeter for outdoors. Many years with Trainerroad and estimated power of trainer.
And I would like to create my own workouts.
Does anyone could please explain how to create this workout?
Once I try it following your steps, I won’t have problems to create more.

I have tried it, but no bar coloured graphics shown below instructions of workout, so I think I am missing something….

This is the workout:

Warm Up:

• Ride for 5 minutes gradually raising your power from 87 to 119 watts.

Main Set:
Settle in for 80 minutes between 119 and 156 watts.

Cool Down:

• Spin easy for 5 minutes

119w is my 55% ftp, and 156w 72%.

Thanks

Change the time format
For 5 minutes write 5m

See screenshot here for your session:

power: 10s

Warm Up
-5m ramp 30-55%

Main
2x
-16m 72%
-16m 55%

-16m 72%

Cool Down
-5m ramp 43-30%

See this post also : Depending on what head unit you use, you might need to change power smoothing to 1s (power: 1s)

1 Like

Thanks!! Now it works. I Will try to load to my Karoo or Sigma Rox

Just loaded it to my Karoo and looks correctly with coloured bars.
And once I upload it to my Sigma Rox pairing iphone app, this is what appears on my Sigma pairing phone…

Hi, I’m new here and have been playing a bit with the workout builder. I didn’t find answers to the following questions, and have a few more thoughts:

1. Text that goes before the time/distance in a bullet appears as a note on my Garmin watch, text that goes after the power/HR/pace target doesn’t. Correct? Would it be possible to use either as a note? That would allow a note like “15m Sprint, 35m Recovery” because at the front that’s getting parsed as “15 minutes”. Otherwise, if the text at the end of a line is ignored, can it be marked with a warning? (aka “this is ignored, if you want to add a note move it to the beginning of the line”)

2. Is there a keyword to mark a step as Rest / Pause?

3. a) Is there a list of keywords like maxeffort, ramp, freeride, etc?

4. b) I’d be happy to read the text to workout conversion source code instead :wink:

5. In a block of repetitions (e.g. 10x effort, break) I’d like to skip the last break and instead add a longer break before the next block. Not possible yet, right? I’ve seen Garmin workouts do it - but the Garmin workout editor cannot create such workouts either.

6. Parsing 50m as 50 minutes is really unfortunate for swim workouts. Would it be possible to parse differently for swim workouts? Maybe with an opt-in at the top (aka “parse_m_as_meter”) so as not to break existing workouts? Then, if you want 50 minutes you have to write 50m0s or 50min.

7. When creating a swim workout, don’t simply default it to 25m but add a line pool length: 25m. Makes it much more discoverable then.

8. If I write “Press lap” can I also add a note to the workout step? Would it be possible to move “Press lap” into the keyword section between time/distance and power/HR target?

9. Is there actually a way to train with power when swimming? If not, could it be removed from the workout editor and make Z2 default to Z2 HR?

1 Like

Have you tried using the help tools when clicking on Add Step?

Click on the word normal and you will get a list of steps.

Clicking on Power, Heart Rate, Pace will give more options.

1 Like

There isn’t a keyword for rest/pause. You need to include that info in the text.

Use ‘pool length: 25m’ to set pool length for swims. I need to add an “Edit options” dialog with all the options in it. But putting in a default pool length line is a good idea.

Unfortunately when this was first built I wasn’t thinking about swimming and I can’t change how times are parsed now. You can use ‘50meters’ or ‘50mtr’ for distance.

2 Likes

Have you tried using the help tools when clicking on Add Step?

Thanks. But there’s no help button/mouse-over I’m overlooking, right? But yes, I created all kinds of steps via the UI to find those keywords. That still doesn’t explain what e.g. maxeffort does.

There isn’t a keyword for rest/pause. You need to include that info in the text.

OK. Reason I’m asking is that the workout screen on my Fenix 6 says “Swim ----- | INT. TIME 0:01” for a line like - Rest 60s. Yes, it says “Rest” on the Notes screen and when starting the workout step. However, if I add a rest/pause step in a Garmin workout the workout screen on the watch says “Rest 0:01 | Next: …” (for a press lap button rest) or “Rest 0:30 | INT. DIST. 000 | INT. TIME 0:00 | 1/5” (for a 30s rest in a 5x repeat).

You can use ‘50meters’ or ‘50mtr’ for distance.

Ah, I didn’t know (discover) that. :+1: Works for me. My remaining question is, how will others learn about it? Maybe instead of writing “Distance(km)” in “Add Step” write “Distance(km/mtr)”? Or when it’s a swim training write “Distance(mtr)” and otherwise “Distance(km)”?

Hello, I tried to use the training plan edited by ICU, export the fit file and save it into Wahoo Bolt V2, but it seems that Wahoo has a discrepancy in the identification of target power, I would like to ask where can I check the programming syntax of Wahoo training plan?

Warmup

• 8m ramp 30-60% 80-90 rpm

Sweet30min

• 30m ramp 85% 90-95 rpm

Recover3min

• 5m 150w 80-90rpm

Sweet30min

• 30m ramp 85% 90-95 rpm

Cool down

• 5m ramp 85-30% 70-90 rpm

I am not sure but maybe the Wahoo doesn’t like the ramps? I don’t think the fit file format for planned workouts supports ramps. You could break the ramps up with separate steps:

Warmup
- 2m 30% 80-90 rpm
- 2m 40% 80-90 rpm
- 2m 50% 80-90 rpm
- 2m 60% 80-90 rpm

I have a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt
Files loaded to it in .erg format
No issue with ramps

-5m ramp 30-55%

At the start of this thread, it was mentioned “Press lap” was working only for Garmin devices. But it was several months ago :slight_smile: any hope to have this mode working for Suunto devices? That would be so great. Typically outdoor warmups don’t have hard coded duration or length, so being able to mark them as done by pressing lap on my suunto watch would be so great!

Thank you for this structured workout feature!