Workout builder

I probably do something wrong. I programm my running workout in the calendar and it’s automaticly send to Garmin Connect. I synchronize my watch but workout doesn’t work. I try with the same workout programm in Garmin connect and it’s work. I supprose so that something in my programmation is not good.

I want :

• 20 mins warmup in the HR zone Z1 and Z2 [interval called EF]
  • 4* (6 mins @ 100% of my threshold pace [interval called Seuil 60] then 3 mins @ 75-80% of my threshold pace [interval called Recup])
  • 10 mins cooldown in the HR zone Z1 and Z2 [interval called EF]
Warmup

EF 20 ramp Z1-Z2 HR

4x

Seuil 60 6 100% Pace
    Recup 3 75-80% Pace

Cooldown

EF 10 ramp Z1-Z2 HR

Edit : auto answer - it’s a little bug of Interval (the system doesn’t put automatically the “m” after the time) + image doesn’t show a mix graph when you use HR based intervals and Pace based intervals

Warmup
- EF 20m Z1-Z2 HR

4x
- Seuil 60 6m 100% Pace
- Recup 3m 75-80% Pace

Cooldown
- EF 10m Z1-Z2 HR

As far as I know, you can mix Power and HR, Power and Pace, and also HR and Pace in your workouts. They all need to be the same unit of measure.

Edit: here’s an example of how I would recommend it

Thanks a lot. I think it’s what I’m looking for.

Just to be sure : “Keep HR in Z1-Z2” is not just a comment ? Your programm means that I should run in Z2 Pace (my garmin watch will alert me if i run too slow or too fast) but I “mustn’t” be less than Z1 or more than Z2 in HR. So for example if I run at max Z2 pace but i go in Z3 HR, I must go slower. Do you know if my garmin watch (Fenix 6) will alert me ?

I’m not a running coach, and have only followed a running plan once in my life. My Z1 and Z2 pace was based on me running for (I think) 8 minutes keeping HR below my Z1 and Z2 max. The average pace for those 8 minutes would be my Z1 and Z2 pace. That would be the pace I would then keep below on the warmup and cooldown.

From a cycling perspective, I would apply the same principle though… what is the purpose/goal of the session?
If the beginning and end is purely a warmup/cooldown, and the repeats are the goal of the session, I would set the workout based on your %Pace.

I’m trying to get my custom workout to my wahoo unit by going through Training Peaks.

However, uploading the .fit file downloaded from Intervals.icu fails so I had to manually reacreate the workout on TP.

@david for reference, it’s my workout “Tabata”, which is as follows:

- Warmup 15m 50%

10x
- 30s 120%
- 30s 40%

- Rest 10m 50%

10x
- 30s 120%
- 30s 40%

- Rest 10m 50%

10x
- 30s 120%
- 30s 40%

- Cooldown 10m 50%

Am i doing something wrong or it’s not supposed to work like this?

Wahoo requires the power target to be instant (1s) power. When a FIT file is downloaded Intervals.icu uses the Athlete’s Garmin settings to decide the default power target. I really need to add profiles or something (Download FIT → For Wahoo | Garmin etc.) to automatically do this.

You can add “power: 1s” in the workout text before the steps to set the default for the workout. This is a new feature. Before you had to do this for each step.

Sample workout

power: 1s

- 60m Z2
2 Likes

@david
Hi David
Like this? Have I text input correctly here for “power: 1s”

It needs to be lower case: “power: 1s”

1 Like

Spot on. Thank you

Bit late, but I wanted to provide an answer should anyone else search for this.

iOS as well as ipadOS sometimes add a .txt to a file extension that’s not „common“ - safari often does this for me when I download gpx files. I haven’t really found a „non IT geek“ kinda way to fix it as the „normal open Files app and rename“ process won’t help as the .txt isn‘t shown. I usually move those files to the local storage of my ssh client (which natively supports ls, mv and such) and rename them on the command line right in there.

The file being greyed out is due to the file check only checking the „real“ extension (which is probably txt) and not the „extension“ you’re seeing.

A proposed workaround would be to extend the file check to also allow .zwo.txt or .gpx.txt - if that’s at all possible

Hello.
I was wondering if there is a way to creat a reapet within a repeat for example
2x
{
5x
-1m 70%
-1m 90%

-5m40%
}

1 Like

Was wondering this too but I just copy and paste.

How do I do a range for time?

You can’t do a range for duration. Intervals.icu needs to know the duration to calculate training load and so on.

Not currently. I did consider adding that at some point but it makes a lot of things more complicated, both within Intervals.icu and for apps that integrate with Intervals.icu.

1 Like

No problem. Not really an issue anyway.
But out of curiosity, doesn’t intervals.icu not also need to know the %ftp in order to calculate load too? I assume in an FTP range it takes the midpoint to calculate load. Could the midpoint of a duration range not also be used to calculate load?

Yes choosing the midpoint would work. I could probably get this done thinking about it a bit more. I don’t need to store the range just the mid point so no change to file generation or anything.

1 Like

Hi! Would it be possible to add an option for the range of Garmin workouts export based on watts, instead of percentage? for example 80% FTP +/- 10W instead of 80% +/- 2.5%. I’m new to running with power and, using a percentage based range, I sometimes find the range too tight for warm-up and recovery but too wide for higher power levels. Thanks!

1 Like

Does anyone know of a workout creator that will create a ZWO file from a cut and paste of a workout description from the WhatsonZwift group workouts page?

An example is as follows. Intervals won’t interpret it, and ZWOForge works but doesn’t pick up the cadence targets. There is ZwiftConverter on GitHub, but i can’t get it to work due to my lack of expertise.

5min from 40 to 70% FTP
1x 45sec @ 80% FTP,
1min @ 55% FTP
1x 45sec @ 90% FTP,
1min @ 55% FTP
1x 45sec @ 100% FTP,
1min @ 55% FTP
15min @ 85rpm, 60% FTP
1min @ 90rpm, 70% FTP
1min @ 95rpm, 75% FTP
1min @ 100rpm, 77% FTP
1min @ 105rpm, 80% FTP
5min @ 85rpm, 60% FTP
1min @ 90rpm, 70% FTP
1min @ 95rpm, 75% FTP
1min @ 100rpm, 77% FTP
1min @ 105rpm, 80% FTP
5min @ 85rpm, 60% FTP
1min @ 90rpm, 70% FTP
1min @ 95rpm, 75% FTP
1min @ 100rpm, 77% FTP
1min @ 105rpm, 80% FTP
5min @ 85rpm, 60% FTP
1min @ 90rpm, 70% FTP
1min @ 95rpm, 75% FTP
1min @ 100rpm, 77% FTP
1min @ 105rpm, 80% FTP
3min from 65 to 25% FTP

Your in luck…I think this will do what you want

Use this to convert WhatsonZwift structure to intervals.icu workout builder format and then use that in intervals.icu to export a .zwo file

3 Likes

You think correctly - Perfect!

Thanks @Ben for creating this and @Olly_Thomas for the point in the right direction

2 Likes