Workout builder

Zones cannot overlap, so rounding up or down is immaterial. Also, there is no physiological change when you move from one zone to another zone adjacent to each other.

2 Likes

In my opinion it is important just because it is not correct, not because it affects training.

1 Like

And the zone borders (83%, 96%, …) should be in which zone? The lower zone or the higher?
The same value can’t be in both zones, so you will need to choose and explain why you made that choice…
For training purposes it’s all so insignificant and after all, that’s why we are here. 1% is almost always more then 1 W so the choice that was made here, was to round to high border down and set the low border 1W higher then the high border of the lower zone.

Both sides are right. Rounding down for 172.64 is mathematically incorrect. So ofc it can be a problem for any mathematicaly educated person, it is just not intuitial and wrong. At the same time I understand why david did what he did (like a year ago I asked about overlapping colors on charts and it is probably the same problem).

“199.9 can’t bercome 199”…ofc but if your zone ends with 96% of 208 then it would be in the zone when counting by %s and outside of the zone if counted by numbers resulting in a huge mess. So for example another person would come here and say zone 2 can’t magicaly become zone 3, why is that? please reapair etc.

To solve your problem you can use watts instead of % like:
-10m 172.64-199.68w
should work fine but probably then you could argue % will be wrong (not sure how it is rounded other way)

2 Likes

You could change the zone percentage to 84% or 83.5% if you want to be precise. It is evident that it is only a problem of mental obsession

1 Like

Hello! I have and idea about the “free ride” concept, which usually involves an inaccurate workout between a wide range of zones, maybe with a group of friends. Now if you select a range between for example Z1 and Z4 the Workout Builder assigns all the load to Z2:

I believe it would be more realistic if it distributes the load into Z1, Z2, Z3 and Z4, maybe with a normal distribution, an athlete based distribution or just dividing it.

Thank you for your dedication!

I mean, without knowing it appears difficult to do this? What’s the algorithm which works?

Why not just take a previous ride you have done, drag it to the workout folder and use that moving forwards? Will be accurate for yourself at least.

1 Like

Intervals will select the average of the high zones upper and low zone lower limit

Hi, could we add heart beats to workout builder as well just like pure watts?

e.g. 6m 135-145bpm (73%-78%)

I think this would solve the rounding error problem and to be honest, I find BPM easier as I can remember my beats but not percentages :nerd_face:

On the other hand, I see no downside adding them except dev time.

I didn’t know you can use previous rides. Thanks, it looks like a good solution.

Hmmm… How can I use these workouts on my Garmin device???

ensure you click “upload workout” in the /SETTINGS page under Garmin Connect

1 Like

Thank you! It works now;) I really appreciate the work that has gone into this amazing platform (intervals.icu)! And the community behind it!

Just switched back to intervals.icu after having paid a ridiculous monthly fee on trainingpeaks, and not getting the transparency I had hoped for…:frowning:

Intervals.icu for the win!

1 Like

Is there a feature equivalent in workout builder of the Garmin step “until lap button pressed” for Coros? They refer to that as an “Open” Target type.

I’m currently just making those intervals (i.e. an outside run warmup step) extremely long and then hitting lap when I’m ready to start the interval, but that throws off the planned training load, etc.

Unfortunately I don’t think Coros supports that.

Hi All,

Trying workout builder for the first time. Not sure what I’m missing but it doesn’t create a graph below the workout, or auto generate a time or load. Any help is appreciated!

I think you´re just missing a time unit.
Try 12m. 35m, …

1 Like

Is it possible to have a step without time or distance where you need to Lap to the next step? It’s possible in Garmin connect but I can’t find a way on intervals. Am I missing it or it doesn’t exist (yet ;))?

search this thread for “lap button”.
There are some solutions specific to certain devices.

Hm I can’t find any really when searching for that :thinking: