Today Ride Fatigued?

Same here, I usually do 30/30 in flat. My threshold are in the mountains and maybe some tempo too.
Before the race we could include this short high intensity but less sets. Maybe 1/2 sets of 5/6/7 min 30/30s

1 Like

A very low pulse rate can be an indicator of fatigue, it is a physiological defence mechanism. A few days before a race, I don’t think that this type of training is the most appropriate for severe dominance. I would do a tapering at least two weeks before the race, decreasing the volume and giving some intensity, in theory the quality work should already be done.

1 Like

What kind of intensity?

I last rode Tuesday 10-May, with a much, much faster friend of mine, so I went ahead of him all the time. In order to keep his ride interesting I thought I’d push it a bit, including various sprints, any inclines etc. No matter what I did, my HR was way down and I thought ‘this is strange, I must be getting so much fitter’. 4 hours of pushing…found out the day after I had covid.
My guess? Fatigue - unkown to me, at the time but I now know what to look for.
*Also, my hrv scores are generally 55-75%, that day was a lowest ever 22%, the day after 31%. Measured using kubioshrv on android.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! And get well soon!

Im going to share my yesterday experience to see if someone can help me, as it has a lot to do with this topic.

It was extremely hot, almos 40ºC. I was going to ride with this new group of guys that are faster than me, i was sure they would drop me sometime. We were going out of the city, stopping at semaphores and stuff, i just had started riding, we were not going fast by any means, my power would avg 100W (Ftp 217W) and we were stopping at times due to traffic. My HR going to 140 when it would usually start a ride 100-110 if going at this power.

The first kms on the road, my HR was already in 160 or more, very unusual as i was riding being drafted in the group, power was Z2 (150W or less) and my HR still going 160. I thought maybe im nervous being in the group (keep in mind im not that experienced) but i tried to relax and nothing, HR still going all up. I had to drop at 18 kms, as i had been too much time at threshold HR and felt really weak. Back home i had to really cruise at 60W small ring, its the worse time ive felt in a ride, and ive completed 6 hours ride already with 2500m+

I had drink enough water during the day prior to the ride. I had eat a really big spaguetti food 2 hours before the ride. I dont know what happened but i felt like shit.

Hopefully you guys can know what happened based on your own experience. Thanks,

David

1 Like

Here you can see during the first 10 kms i already felt something going wrong, my HR was around 160, the power wasnt there, there is a really short spike there of 200W the rest is ![2|690x279]

Look here how i was avg around 100W which should be a much lower HR

In your other ride you also mentioned getting fatigued/uncomfortable when temp was rising. I guess your body isn’t really liking high temperature.
Were you not over-dressed? And were you sufficiently recovered from the previous ride/training?
When temp is high, drink lots of water!
But be aware that it is normal for HR to be several beats higher for the same intensity when temperature is high. Your heart has to work harder to cool down your body.

Thanks, yes usually i suffer a lot with really high temperatures when doing sports. I wasnt over dressed and had been drinking lots of water during the day (ride was at 5 pm). Several beats i get it, but being 140 bpm just starting is 1st news to me

Yup, count on 10-30% higher HR, which clearly is a much higher stressor on the body so expect 10-30% lower output and earlier fatigue.

@Howie thanks, i still think its too much!!! Ive never been so tired in any time, let alone such a short ride

Of course, there may be other things going on than heat stress.

1 Like

When someone says drink water; make sure you have electrolytes in the bottle; especially on extraordinary hot days.

1 Like

It could be beeing in a bunch of faster guys, the nervous feeling. It happens to me as well. Doing my zone 2 ride, If I imagine being in the final sprint of a race my HR normally pumps up

I live at the equator… it;s always hot… upwards of 40c everyday.

ORS works as well.

What is a Oral Rehydration Solution?

Skip the marketing, packaging and cost. It’s cheap and easy to make your own dextrose + salt solution.

The standard solution when combining with food is 4%. But this can be increased up to 7% solution for higher intensity sessions when solid food won’t be digested well or quickly enough. Just keep the overall solution of hydration + food to <= 7%, unless you’ve managed to train your gut to absorb it.

Be very careful about using fructose. While there’s lots of talk about how good it is because it uses another transport chain, it has enormous downstream effects on both the gut and most especially metabolism. Fructose was meant to be ingested via single pieces of whole fruit. (If you want more info, do a search at Dr Peter Attia’s website for fructose and listen to the various episodes.)

Per 1000ml
4%: 40g dextrose (actual molecular=37g) + 3g salt
7%: 70g dextrose (actual molecular=64g) + 3-5g salt

Play with it systematically. Ingesting more overall grams/water than your gut can handle leads to lower absorption. Test different dextrose/salt ratios to find what you can stand in the mouth and gut.

For long swims I use 7% low sodium solution. For long Z1-2 rides & runs I use a 4% solution and add some whole foods, i.e. GoMacro bar, Picky Bar, RawBite bar, or my nori/rice rolls that are calibrated for ideal macros.

Per Hour
700ml (100 kcal / 30g) of 4% solution
• 28g dextrose (CHO 91*0.28 = 25g CHO = 100 kcal)
• 2g salt
• juice of 1/4 lemon

…for 7% total in the gut, add:
300ml water & 42g solid food

2 Likes

Isn’t 30g of carbs per hour low? Or you mean just in the bottle, couting with those bars?
I usually go for 60-80g of carbs per hour and 80-100g for intensity sessions