Strava sync to become a paid feature (paused)

Ok, thanks did that :slight_smile:

Sounds fair and TBH this is my preferred solution.
Much rather pay for intervals and support David and keep my Strava as free account.

Will probably pay for Strava premium monthly once racing outside as live segments is useful for TTs

You’re referring to segments direct on the head unit?

How does this work? Zwift under 1 account on the Laptop/iPad etc? That’s gonna be a tough one unless you can figure out how to separate the workouts by some sort of naming convention and chuck to to separate folders/separate Dropbox Accounts I presume.

Yeah, it’s a paid premium feature on Strava to see live segments on a Garmin head unit

ah…

Just took a look, isn’t such a feature available also on a Garmin? I think I’ve done it before on my watch for outdoor rides, you just have to recreate the segments yourself on Garmin Connect IIRC.

Anyways, based on the strava webpage, seems like it loads 20-30 segments only, hence possibly you only need to do that 20-30x once and that’s it.

Tho I get it, it’s the convenience factor.

I guess you could re create the ones you need on Garmin.

The strava implementation is good. You star any you want and it’s sync popular local ones automatically.
I have a small 14km training loop that I have a segment for an then can do efforts against myself and use it for pacing.

Then when I do a TT, often the course is already a segment so I just star it. IIRC you can set a target time?

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 10.47.00
Paid up suppporter now :slight_smile:

1 Like

At the moment I have Zwift set to upload to my Strava account. So for hers I download the .fit from either my Strava or Zwift directly, then delete it from my Strava. She basically does 3 rides a week so it’s not too intensive (but she’s seen great progression just by applying that structure, I am stoked!).

It takes me more time to set her workouts effectively to be honest - I am trying to make them sensibly progressive, but not so hard that it puts her off.

No no :slight_smile:
In the case of Garmin, it’s not “as simple” as it should be :slight_smile:
In the case of Garmina, SLS is a strange construction. It is not enough to add the segment to your favorites (star). In addition, for the unit to display this segment, you must follow … in the footsteps of (route) created in … Stravie where such a segment is located.

Although this segment (by the way, the limitation to 100 !!) is on the unit, it is not enough to be displayed, it is not enough to “enter it” while driving outside the course !!

Wahoo or Hammerhead meters work normally, i.e. the segment with an asterisk if it is synchronized with the unit every time “you enter it” is presented. Simply, after GPS coordinates, the unit displays it. Logic.

But Garmin from Strava had to come up with such to make life difficult. And this limit … 100 segments … Maybe in a time of some edge1 (hihiehi) it had a healing, but today?
At Wahoo I had almost 800 segments and it didn’t make a difference.
In Hammerhead “K2” at the beginning there was indeed a limit of 100 segments, but I remember that I created a ticket and corresponded with support in terms of the “limit” they swore that it was Strava that limits and no manufacturer has more than 100 segments. I recorded them a movie with quantities on Wahoo … A few days later my “K2” displayed all star segments :slight_smile:

Garmin has a “own segment system” but it’s some cosmic misunderstanding :frowning:
This is a disaster.
This mechanism does not have any “fraud detection system” (e.g. speeding speed 15% with a length of 5km, the type entered at a speed of … 72km/h): D
Ba, there is not even any reporting system, reporting some abuse in the field of segments.
It seems to me that Garmin has created “segments” as long as they have them because Strava has them, but nothing more. It’s an imitation, a prosthesis and nothing worth.

OneDrive and Google Drive would be nice alternatives.

1 Like

@david I’m waiting to see if the idea of ​​coaches paying X amount to be entitled to Y athletes so that they can have strava synchronization works, to become a supporter in this new format.

@Gerald Does Coaches in TP have a discounted rate for their athletes? Would you know?

The $49 option works out cheaper once there are >5 premium athletes. By the time an athlete has TP as well as Zwift/Rouvy/TrainerRoad, the fees I add on makes it too expensive for recreational athletes to afford. They say it’s too expensive.

This is why I like Intervals; the startup costs for a coach is kept to absolute minimum.

1 Like

This was just the excuse I needed to become a paid subscriber to your platform. I started using intervals last season at the behest of the coach of my team so that he can track my progress and prescribe training plans and workouts to use on Zwift during my first season racing. I have since been using intervals myself as I appreciate it from a training perspective. I enjoy Strava for the social aspect of it, but also the route guidance and design. Thanks and keep up the great work on this platform!

2 Likes

Thanks @Gerald. I would agree… the cost really do add up and TR/Rouvy/Zwift pricing is going up as well.

1 Like

Consider me subscribed. I had planned to anyway but just lazy. I love this site. Keep up the great work.

1 Like

Me too - good opportunity to support someone doing some great work. I also stopped synching with Strava so maybe that will open some API calls up for someone else.

1 Like

I was wondering that. I wonder if David will not only find people paying now, but in addition will switch to using other sync methods ‘as well’.

what are the other sync methods you are referring to?
Sync from sites besides Strava? or onedrive?

Tx