Strava sync to become a paid feature (paused)

Yeah so the pain here would be syncing TrainerRoad/Zwift/Xert and so on, without Strava.

1 Like

They just ignore youā€¦
https://groups.google.com/g/strava-api

Iā€™ve not seen anyone gotten any rate limit increases

1 Like

Youā€™re lucky that Strava backtracked on this a while back. (They stopped it abruptly and the internet blew upā€¦ then they rolled it back)

Tx. When this problem first came up a year or so ago I got rid of polling for free users and only used web hooks and only for users who have been seen in the last 28 days.This helped a lot but it still takes 2 API calls per activity. Now only paying users get polling when they visit the site (to catch missed webhooks) and free users can manually use the ā€œDownload old dataā€ button to do the same.

They just started ignoring the emails. The first 2 bumps they checked that Intervals.icu was following the brand guidelines etc., had a look at the user count and that was that. They even put Intervals.icu on their apps page.

2 Likes

There is an existing feature request on the TR side. Not promising from what Ivy said a ways back.

7 Likes

Ah, wait so free users can keep syncing with Strava!? I totally misread your opening post then: ā€œFuture new users and current free users will be able download from Strava for a few weeks after which time a subscription will be required.ā€

reads very different than: ā€œand free users can manually use the ā€œDownload old dataā€ button to do the same.ā€ which seems to imply it will stay, but just becomes manual.

If Iā€™m reading it wrong, you can assume others are too (since I got here because other people linked it while saying you canā€™t sync with strava anymore unless you go intervals premium). You might want to consider changing your Opening post :slight_smile: .

Sorry. Thats how it was a year ago. Unfortunately now I have to make it a premium feature. I have already done what I can to reduce Strava API calls.

1 Like

Does this have an effect on Strava run GAP model? Will it still work for free users?

I dont know why it took so long time, butā€¦
From this day I am a Intervals.icu paying supporter!

Keep up the awesome work you are doing!!
Love Intervals.icu!

4 Likes

I use Strava only for activity names so I can easily switch Strava off. As I understand correctly switching off Strava will help in overall api calls? Is downlading an activity name a call? (sorry I dont know how it works, jsut want to help : )

Yes to Both Question.

I use the extremely popular cycling and biking app, WorkOutdoors, for Apple Watch/Apple Watch Ultra. Every workout for me is on that app, which then syncs its data to Strava. If Workoutdoors was synced with intervals.icu, I would gladly switch off Strava syncing. Ian from Workoutdoors app is extremely helpful to users (he quickly answered emails for my two questions); he would likely be open to syncing with Intervals.icu. Here is his app website with contact information.

http://www.workoutdoors.net/index.html

Thank you.

No that will still work. That was derived from a Strava Engineering blog post describing their model. No Strava code or API calls involved.

2 Likes

Strava has become more a social media than an athlete platform. Dozens of photos, videos, people collecting Groups as postal cards (even those places they never been at).

So, isnā€™t it the starting point to drop Strava and take their place?
The only thing I like there is segments classification, and that demands some ā€˜cleaningā€™ time to time due to cars and motorcycles used by the Average John that does not run or cycle and donā€™t give a ***** to the sports game it has become.
The segments ranking is the only feature holding me there. Data? I pick here. Training? Here.
So, keeping Garmin, Suunto, Polar and others partners and releasing an iOS/Android app you could sky rocket if want to.
Only a dream?

2 Likes

Strava is the one place that just about every device maker integrates with. So it has a lot of value there.

2 Likes

I know.
If they did, others can do!
Strava is the only cross platform today. Intervals can do it!

And donā€™t become Intervalsgram, as we have Instrava nowadays!

1 Like

Iā€™ve kicked Strava to the kerb. I donā€™t have any social media accounts after doing that.

If I knew of a way to import my libraries of workouts from Training Peaks Iā€™d kick that to the kerb as well.

AFAIK you can export your workouts into a FIT/ZWO/other format and then you can import them as workouts and add to a library in intervals.icu - quite a manual process, but possibleā€¦

2 Likes

300 workouts amongst 5 plans is a task but Iā€™ll give that a go; thanks! Probably would allow me to clean out the ā€˜trashā€™ at the same time.

Edit - It takes ~8 mouse clicks per TrainingPeaks file to get into a .zwo/.fit/.erg/.mrc format. If a mouse click = 1 sip Iā€™ll be half-cut in no time.

Thanks, @Olly_Thomas