Strava sync to become a paid feature (paused)

You can find information regarding subscription in your settings menu, and click on "Support Intervals.icu!

1 Like

Maybe I miss understand something, but if I use the source filter on the intervals list view and filter for the source ā€œStravaā€ and I only get like 5 hits on all of my data. Doesnā€™t that mean that all my other data is safe from deletion? Initially I got all my strava data via zip and uploaded it manually and as soon as I realized the terms of use of strava I synced also from other sources like garmin and Wahoo. My understanding was that strava data will always be replaced if there are other sources that also sync the same activity. And that this would prevent deletion in case of disconnecting / deleting strava?

Iā€™m absolutely gobsmacked at the reliance on Strava.
I donā€™t actually have Strava linked to intevals.icu at all.
Wahoo syncs to Dropbox and Dropbox to Intervals.
Garmin synced with Intervals.
Iā€™d love an option to Sync OneDrive but Dropbox working ok for now

If you want to be certain that some of your data will be safe from deletion just download the fit files from Intervals. Then reupload (and these reuploads wonā€™t be then linked to any 3rd party). You can bulk export and bulk upload

1 Like

strava - garmin sync can be bi-directional. so activities on your strava can be also synced to garmin.
after that you can sync garmin to intervals.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that Strava is being so annoying about this! You have probably already considered this, but arenā€™t there ways to for example only do an update i.e. 4 or twice a day to decrease the polling rate?

Iā€™m not affected as I was planning to switch to Garmin regardless, but I can imagine that this will probably hit your user base quite hard as you recently mentioned only 5% are premium at the moment.

1 Like

Well i have unticked strava synch and ticked wahoo synch instead. Should be the same for me. Hopefully it helps the community

1 Like

All your uploads are safe.

Also, you donā€™t need to revoke access at this time. Simply unticking the download from Strava option is sufficient.

If, one day, permission is revoked then you will lose those 5 workouts.

2 Likes

Ok, so it is like I assumed, I can check it with the filter which activities are safe and which are not? Just for a bit context. I only use garmin devices and Wahoo SYSTM for records, so everything I sync to intervals is always also coming from these sources (I only sync from Strava to because I only want to have one place to give the activity a name) . The 5 activities I mentioned are only edge cases when someone shared an activity.

1 Like

Hi all,
from metrics perspective, is it better to manual import from Zwift activity, or from Strava activity? Iā€™m talking about the same Indoor Ride of course.
Thank you very much!
Cheers

Excellent, look into this possibility. each value would entitle X accounts with strava and the trainer would select the user. Or X active student accounts. Thank you

Raw data is always better, as Strava strips out certain information. I prefer dragging and dropping the Zwift workout from the activities folder into the upload dialog box on Intervals.

The Garmin recorded workout would be missing elevation, and speed (I from the crank-based PM).

Some of my athletes are IT-challenged, so the Strava upload is seamless. They need it more than me.

6 Likes

Might give tapiriik a go too

1 Like

We need direct Zwift - Intrevals sync more than ever now. It could be done with Dropbox but not if you use more than one device, including non-PC.

8 Likes

But it makes no sense.
Why should I upload a dropbox file if I can upload it to Interval.icu?

If Xert automatically synchronized with Dropbox, it would be reasonable what you propose.
But Xert has a synchro only to Strava.
From GarminConnect Xert only downloads data.

Well I guess on a positive note - itā€™s reminded me to subscibe for a paid account, something Iā€™ve been meaning to do for a while. Iā€™m more of a cycle tourer than an athlete, but I really enjoy the fitness tracking you guys provide. FWIW - I actually sync from both Strava and Garmin, something which your platform seems to avoid duplicates with nicely (unlike some others Iā€™ve used). So technically, I guess I could avoid paying - but I believe in supporting stuff I use.

7 Likes

is it considered 3rd party if youā€™re registering for an API Key for your own use?
Just that youā€™re inputing the key into X app instead of an app youā€™ve made for your own?

Tho I remember that when I registered for the API access, I had to provide endpoints / app name etc etcā€¦

So yeahā€¦ likely no go

In case someone who knows how to interpret the legalese
https://www.strava.com/legal/api

Sadly that does not work. Garmin only forwards activities to other services that are recorded by a garmin device / not coming from another service.

2 Likes

Iā€™m curious, what did Strava say when/if you ask for a rate limit adjustment? They direct you to email them when demand gets high enough. Iā€™m guessing they have a ceiling on how high they can actually go.

Source

I thought this was dead. At least it was dead in ~2020.