Strava no longer increasing rate limits

Aww. That sucks. This scenario has crossed my mind before. Relive.cc also became “too successful” so Strava kicked them out. Is there any way to know what proportion of users uses Strava only, Garmin Connect, etc. Is that info somewhere in the json?

Best wishes,
Albert-Jan

Yes I can probably find that out and will do so soon.

Really disappointing but not surprising from Strava.
Dropbox may be an acceptable fall back for Wahoo users, but having them push workouts directly to intervals.icu would be the cleanest solution.
They currently push to a number of useless services, I see no reason why they wouldn’t push to this amazing tool.

3 Likes

For me, a DropBox integration would be perfect. Strava is a convenient data-hub but I keep copies of all my fit files on DropBox anyway. RunGap (https://www.rungap.com/) is a useful iOS tool to move workouts between all the common platforms - I use it to move Xert workouts (which only go to Strava) to TP and DropBox - maybe one option is to have RunGap integrate with intervals.icu?

1 Like

I will be looking at all the things mentioned on this thread when I get to that. It should be possible to sort out syncing nicely.

3 Likes

Same here. Garmin will be, then!

Dropping Strava will be a relieve - I’ll gladly increase my Patreon contribution to intervals.icu.

Not that I know how to do that - I already looked :joy:

1 Like

I’ve a Polar Vantage watch and no bike head unit as I run and swim too. How would I get around the Strava divorce? Manual uploading or is there a syncing solution?

You will still be able to use Strava. I hope enough of the Garmin crew move over to free up rate limit for other platforms. There will be a manual upload option.

2 Likes

Tx David. To be honest love what you do so much I might even get a Garmin watch instead. It’s an amazing platform! Thank you for creating it

2 Likes

@david Out of curiosity, on moving to Garmin Connect as a means to pull data/sync data, doesn’t Garmin also charges developers for this capability? Last I remember was USD5000 to be able to get access to the API.

We are now waiting for @david to create an improved Strava alternative :smiley:

Give him a couple of hours :smirk:

1 Like

Ha ha if only. Been very busy making many behind the scenes changes to support a separate from Strava future. But it’s a big job and stops feature progress and bug fixes.

It’s a lot harder to roll out new things when you are operating at Strava scale. Intervals.icu only has 21k or so athletes and I have already had to do some real “big data” work to cope with that. It was running on one server all in Postgresql (normal relational db, 500G db) and I almost left it too late to scale up. Now it is on 4 much more powerful (and costly, sniff) machines with a lot of stuff moved to an Apache Cassandra cluster. The new stuff can handle at least 5x as many athletes and easily scale to more with more hardware.

14 Likes

Healthfit is also interesting to look at.
It can also syncs wellness data from apple health to some platforms ( for example Trainingpeaks, google drive ,…)

1 Like

Many thanks for your great work David! Love intervals.icu The .fit file is something everybody with a powermeter can probably use.

Once in our dreamt up future, where everything is how we wanted them to be, where no athlete can muster more energy to come up with additional features to be added to your site; we’ll look back, and remember, that like the effort making the numbers appear, it’s the moves on the roads who brought us here which were the reason to be.

You just keep adding and plastering and expanding,

The joy is the journey.

1 Like

Finally, you can connect your Tacx (account) to Garmin.

I’m more than happy to move from Strava to Garmin Connect. I assume this is something that the user will have to do in the options page?

Yes when the work is complete people will be able to signup without selecting Strava or Garmin Connect and add those later if they like. Existing people will be able to enable/disable Strava just like GC.

2 Likes