Strava no longer increasing rate limits

Just a thought, if most users switch to Garmin Connect, will that open up user allocation with Strava for those who don’t use Garmin? (We use Garmin, but it was just a thought)

Thank you in advance for all your hard work, this platform is exactly what I have been searching for when trying to track both my progress and my families!

1 Like

Tx. Yes thats correct, it will free up rate limit for non-Garmin users who use Strava.

2 Likes

This really is too bad… this site really does fulfill all the needs I have that I’ve been paying sites like Training Peaks for. I’m a Wahoo user now, so I’ll have to find a solution for non-Zwift rides (since Zwift can easily upload to Garmin Connect at the same time as Strava). I’ve used Tapiriik in the past, but I ran into issues where sometimes it would sync an activity and sometimes it wouldn’t. Maybe it’s time to uncheck the Garmin option in Zwift and revisit Tapiriik.

They should hire you and your work, it’s an amazing product.

1 Like

Please no!
David can do at least one order of magnitude more here!

1 Like

I’ve often wondered why Strava, if it needs to make money, doesn’t restrict the transfer of data to 3rd parties who do something with it (like Intervals.icu) to paid subscribers and not limit the API.
On a separate note I was under the impression that you could not export past workouts into Garmin.
Personally I’ve being doing a lot of analysis with my trainer trying to get it aligned with my PM’s and my Garmin account holds masses of duplicate ride files. Be a bit of a disaster if they were all loaded into Intervals.

The only remaining reason I’m using strava is intervals.icu.
A link with Garmin would be a great news

Keep goig David, you do amazing stuff !

I just looked into Tapiriik and it seems that you can’t sync to Garmin Connect using it… that’s no bueno…

I don’t think anything uploads to GC, only their own devices.

That’s definitely a problem for those of us not using Garmin devices… Zwift uploads to Garmin Connect, so indoor rides are handled, but perhaps there’s a way to sync activities recorded with a Wahoo device to Google Drive or Dropbox. I’m unaware of an existing method, but that doesn’t mean that there’s no way to do it…

I keep a copy of my .fit files from my Wahoo on Google Drive and just import them to Google Connect. Not automatic, but not a complete pain either.

1 Like

TrainerRoad does but they probably pay Garmin for the privilege…

1 Like

Didn’t know that, but I can ask the guy from TrainerDay, as that also pushes workouts to Garmin, although I think that’s only for you to have them on your device to execute.

And yes, I doubt that is for free, but who knows…

I know enough Python to be dangerous, but I’m sure you could find a true python dev here that could help out if it comes to that!

1 Like

to be honest, I always just record to Garmin.

Outside ride? Garmin
Zwift/Indoor ride? Garmin (but I don’t really care about Zwift/Strava Segments/Virtual GPS thingy). I just use my head unit to record the ride, and save the ride privately on Zwift, without syncing to anywhere

I’m hoping the final solution will be something like your own login system with default sync service being Garmin Connect for most but also allowing Strava for those of us that use Wahoo or something else. I convinced a friend of mine with a Peloton to also use Intervals so maybe a Peloton sync at some point in the future so he also doesn’t have to rely on Strava as a middleman?

On a related note, though I use a Wahoo Bolt for my bike rides, I like syncing through Strava because that’s where I also collect all my other workouts, including rowing, etc., and I like that Intervals looks at my fitness/fatigue over all sports. Hope whatever solution you move to continues to support multi-sport.

Ouch, I am so used to the Intervals.icu, w/o it I will have to pay for Strava.
Fingers crossed you can integrate with Garmin Connect.

The Strava dependency is for all developers like the sword of Damocles. There are not many tools I know who exist since years, follow a “Strava-Only” business model and have a considerable user base. The only tool I can think of from this category is Veloviewer. I for my part would like it very much if intervals.icu will be connected to Garmin and additionally accept fit files. Intervals became my to go tool for trainings analysis. The program offers the perfect mix of usability, a sleek interface and analytics. Before I used TodaysPlan to write the Trainingsplans and check the training of my buddies I coach, but I never got really familiar with TP. So yeah, please go ahead with the Garmin Plan. I will take this challenge as opportunity and support you via Patreon. Thanks for the good work. Go ahead!! Kudos.

P.S. Interesting in this context: Intervals is not the only tool with the “Strava API challenge”, Elevate, the Strava Chrome Add-On, will become an independent tool too I found out some days ago: https://blog.usejournal.com/elevate-for-strava-is-jumping-the-strava-fence-to-become-an-independent-desktop-training-app-1f644c2af824

@david I’m a python dev with some typescript experience, depending on the amount of work involved would love to contribute some python code if you needed some! My email is my username at gmail dot com

3 Likes

Tx. Currently Intervals.icu is all Java and Javascript and it needs quite a bit of cleanup.