[SOLVED] Total Descent as imported metric

I want to create a graph on the fitness tab with weekly summaries that contains all the elevation gained from two activity types: hiking (skimo) and alpine skiing.

• In both activities, ‘Altitude Gain’ field is enabled.
• In neither activity is any Altitude Gain data shown.
• Both activities have the Altitude chart enabled and are showing elevation tracks.
• In the Hiking activity, Climbing data is shown, but I think it’s gain minus loss (not cumulative gain).
• In the Alpine Skiing activity, no Climbing data is shown (0m).

What am I missing and how can I achieve the desired result?

I use a fenix 7X and just recently did record both alpine skiing as well as hiking, so I tried to reproduce what you’re trying.

Hike has a climbing field which is populated and matches the total ascent field in garmin connect (which is cumulative and does not include any descents)

Alpine ski however has neither ascent nor climb anywhere (the altimeter chart works well, I use that to set the intervals to the downhill parts to separate the time on the lift)

A chart on the fitness page displaying the “climbing” field, filtered to just hiking works on my side.

But for alpine skiing, why is the climbing part interesting to you? Wouldn’t the descent be more interesting? Or are you talking about backcountry skiing (up “on foot”)?

Thanks for looking into this.
For alpine skiing I want to track accumulation of vert each day/season. By counting the elevation gained I can keep track of vert for skiing and skimo in one chart.

How are both activities showing the altimeter chart without recording vert, and thus altitude?

Garmin shows Total Descent as part of alpine skiing, which means it’s in the FIT file. If it were available in intervals.icu then I could use its inverse and add it to hiking (skimo) Climb/Altitude Gain for a Total Vert chart.

Edit: changed thread classification to Feature Request.

1 Like

Updated title to reflect the desired metric to be imported from watches (i.e. Garmin: total descent) to Intervals.icu (for Alpine Skiing).

Well, ski season is over. Maybe by next season this can be something to track? :+1: I sure am curious about how Alpine descent and Skimo ascent would look graphed.

1 Like

I´m also missing total descent field for analyzing enduro/downhill rides where you take lifts/shuttles.
Would be so great to have this value. Garmin has it, but there is no good way in Garmin Connect to filter/sort analyze it…

2 Likes

For both hiking and skiing there’s an interval field called ‘Altitude Gain’.
For hiking the ‘Climbing’ field is shown for the activity, which oddly enough does not match ‘Altitude Gain’.

Is there a way to see the total altitude gained for all hiking and skiing activities in a filtered list?
FTM, a graph that I can summarise by week, month, and custom dates would be helpful. :call_me_hand:

If these aren’t possible, they are a feature request.

Can someone explain what is going on and suggest a solution? I’m at a loss.

Hiking activity has a global ‘Climbing’ value and an interval ‘Altitude Gain’ value. They do not match. What’s more, neither value match what Garmin provides in the FIT file.
ICU Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 10.03.37Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 10.04.19 ––> GarminScreenshot 2024-03-09 at 10.30.17

Alpine Skiing has the same two values but only the Altitude Gain is populated. This creates a problem when trying to graph the information. (See below.)
I don’t understand where ICU is finding Altitude information since Garmin provides Total Ascent and Total Descent which don’t match either of ICU’s values.
ICU Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 10.02.13

→ Garmin

For Fitness Graphs, a custom chart can be created. The only metric available is Climbing/Altitude Gain. Unfortunately, it only populates for Hiking and not for Alpine Skiing. Nor have I found a way to retrieve ICU’s interval total of Altitude Gain values for Alpine Skiing.
Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 10.05.09Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 10.04.41

Using Fit File Viewer or FitFileExplorer, it’s clear that Total Ascent and Descent are available for Hiking and Alpine Skiing.
Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 11.01.36 Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 10.26.59

What I think would solve the issue:
i) ICU actually read & make available total_ascent and total_descent values provided in the FIT file.
ii) Expand graphing values that allow population of both Ascent and Descent values and the inverse of each in order to provide a total elevation—Hiking: climbed (and thus skied), Skiing: descended.
OR
Someone show me how I can script the automatic population of the total_ascent and total_descent values from the Garmin FIT files and graph them on the Fitness tab. (Note: I have zero scripting knowledge.)

Thanks!

You checked this?

When the device is set to have accurate elevation then Intervals.icu will keep the total elevation gain info from the fit file and not recalculate it from the altitude data.

If it still isn’t giving you what you want, then add a Custom Field and select the data from the Fit file.

1 Like

Thank you! :call_me_hand:
I now have those two custom activity fields and have reprocessed previous activities.

Next Q: How can I sum the two values in a graph on the Fitness page?
I have a graph that now shows Ascent and Descent stacked on each other with individual values showing on the right side of the graph. Is there a way to show the sum of the two values in the graph? My guess is that it requires a custom computed field via a script. If yes, I’m stumped.

You will need to add another custom activity field that computes the sum of those other two like this:

Result = whatever you want to call it.
activity.TotalAscent + activity.TotalDescent where TotalAscent and TotalDescent would be the name of your other two fields.

Then graph that new field on the Fitness page.

2 Likes

Bingo!
Dōmo arigatōgozaimasu :man_bowing: