Little bug with ascent data in several activities

Hello, everyone.

In the last few weeks I have noticed that when importing an activity that uses GPS it erroneously indicates the accumulated elevation data. It has happened to me with garmin forerunner 955, garmin instintx 2X and now Suunto Vertical. The data is usually much higher than what appears if I upload the fit file to the garmin, suunto, strava, etc… platform.
My last activity shows me ascent = 265m in intervals, but it was barely over 140-150m. And other activities with much more elevation gain seems to add by default about 100-150m to all of them.

Before that I used a fenix 7 and it had never happened, my weekly workouts are always between 100-200m elevation gain, if I do more it’s because I’ve trained hills.

Thanks.
Best regards.

It happens by uploading the activity automatically through the Suunto or Garmin service, or even by manually uploading the fit file.
Regards.

Open the activity/calendar page
Change to table view
Tick the activity
Click edit
Update settings
You can edit the elevation correction

Thank you. “As is” is the default option, so this is not the problem. I automatically synced a hiking activity today and the ascent data is correct (+514m suunto app, +514m Intervals). Normal.
But yesterday’s run data, like most days I upload or sync running activities, is incorrect (suunto app +245m, Intervals +394m). It doesn’t make sense.

I investigated this and found a couple of issues. The topo maps don’t seem to do well in your area so you should turn off elevation correction and flag your watch as having accurate elevation. That will be used as the default for future activities with the watch:

When the device is set to have accurate elevation then Intervals.icu will keep the total elevation gain info from the fit file and not recalculate it from the altitude data. Usually this will then match other services. If you crop the file then it is recalculated from altitude data.

You can do Actions → Reprocess file to fix existing activities.

There was a bug that caused climbing to not be recalculated when elevation correction was disabled for an activity. I have fixed this and will deploy later tonight or Tuesday AM.

It’s working! This is awesome. Thank you very much, David. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like