[SOLVED] Intervals.icu and Garmin sync

Attached above is a planned workout.

Question 1 -
Is there any reason why intervals.icu structured workout shows 30-minute intervals when hovering over the structured graph of this workout when the planned workout is 5 km distance. I mean it doesn’t make any sense to convert that 5 km to 30 mins because every athlete will take his or her own time. So I am not sure what is happening here. Please help.

Now this second screenshot is when the workout is performed as planned on the Garmin watch and synced back to intervals.icu.

Question 2 -
Everything looks good. However, I am not able to understand why this 5 km planned interval is being split into 1.6 km blocks. Ideally, if the planned workout is for 5 km I would expect 5 KM intervals to appear there in the intervals on the platform so that it is easy to recognize and then analyze as well. Here yes I know when I take the average of these 4 I have highlighted in the second screenshot I can get the value for 5 km but again that’s the average and not a single 5 km data at once. Please help.

Is there any specific setting that I need to do to get this kind of interval at once rather than broken into a mile distance?

To answer question 1, partly, it will convert your distance to duration inline with the rest of the workout (measured by duration).

I can’t confirm what the conversion unit is, as I know it’s not the best pace.

Thanks, Gerald for the response. So if the workout is planned based on duration then it will convert any distance-related segments planned to duration.

But this might cause issues in syncing the same workout to be performed by different people I feel.

When I put 5km in like your workout, it gives me 39:21 for the 5km. So it is different to each person, based on the settings.

Factors that could influence it is threshold pace and LTHR value.

Me not being a serious runner, I’m not too worried about the data and setup, and how it all works.y running is an alternative to my cycling.

Got your point. Let’s see if someone knows how this calculation works and some views on point 2.

Thanks for your input buddy.

Intervals.icu needs duration to calculate training load. So if you specify a step using distance and HR it assumes a pace in the middle of Z2 to calculate the duration. The sport settings for the currently selected athlete are used.

If you also specify pace then that pace is used to calculate duration even if the workout is done by HR. Example:

- 5km Z2 HR Z3 Pace

Hope that helps.

1 Like

ok got it.

How about the Question 2?

Share a screenshot of the activity graph, eg. like this example.
It will help to see your lap setup compared to the list view.

Here you go.

To fix it manually, youcan manually change the interval in two ways:

1. Drag the right side of the first interval to the right, at the end of 5km;
    IMG_2905

2. Click on the first interval, and change the duration.

Why it happens?
I’m not 100% sure of the exact reason. The algorithm does like smooth intervals, and power is easier than HR and pace. There are a few topics where David has answered the queries:.

1 Like

Thanks Gerald. So i think i need to fix them manually. :+1:

Does your original FIT file has laps recorded?
It’s interesting why instead of 1km splits, there is 1.6km splits (incidently 1mile = 1.6km)

If you’re using Intervals.icu built in LAPS detection, maybe that’s why it’s using 1.6km. Not entirely sure, you could change it to also ask intervals to “always use laps”

Yes the setting is in miles and I think that is the reason it is splitting them in 1.6 km instead of 1 km.

I think yes original activity on garmin shows data well.

How to use “always use laps” setting? where can I find that?

For this activity only:

within activity:

Then analyse: → Keep All Laps

Then within Settings: This will apply to ALL ativities moving forward.

Thanks. I will check this.

On the settings page, there’s a setting to always use laps. Just to pick the box

1 Like

thanks Gerald.

I think it’s not intervalls.icu issue. Seems Garmin has put laps but it has segregated that into each mile mark and there itself it is coming likewise.

So I need to check how to fx on Garmin now. :grinning:

Sorry for the confusion here.

1 Like

Just check if your device has auto lap activated in the settings.
If I remember correctly, it is default on when creating a new profile.

1 Like

I suspect that too. was reading over Google for the same and found this on the same lines that you mentioned

Will try to switch that off. Thanks again mate. :slight_smile:

1 Like