Laps and interval detection updates

A couple of important changes as to how intervals are detected:

• All laps are kept when detecting intervals from lap data. Before intervals with low power, HR or pace were removed.
  • Lap data is now used for power based intervals for structured workouts done on Garmin devices. Intervals are labelled according to the workout step they are for (if any). Note this does not work with activities from Strava. You need to be using Garmin Connect integration, upload fit files manually or use Dropbox.

You can manually label intervals. Just click on the header above the activity timeline chart:

Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 11.02.43

If you want to have “puny” intervals removed you can still use Actions → Analyse and untick the “Keep all laps” box:

If you would prefer to always use lap data for power based activities and not try auto detection, you can control this in /settings:

12 Likes

i take it that direct uploads from BreakAway: Indoor Training would also work.
Will test tomorrow…

Yes if you include workout_step messages (with message_index and notes) and the laps include wkt_step_index to reference the matching step.

Thank you! We exchanged messages 5 days ago and its working pretty well, although this morning while reviewing last nights workout I’ve seen a couple of anomalies on iPhone, after zooming in (30-sec vo2 intervals split into 26s and 4s), but not now after “Use Laps” twice on iPhone and then switching to MacBook Pro. Will keep looking.

Now it would be AWESOME if, in addition to extracting notes and message_index, you could also extract custom_target_value_low and _high from workout_step message(s) in order to make pretty target vs actual power graphs like TrainingPeaks did for last night’s workout:

Again thanks for the quick turnaround. If you can add actual-vs-target I’ll use intervals and donate.

Cheers!

Tx for the workout_step message hint!

Intervals.icu does show planned vs actual like that if you have a planned workout on your calendar that pairs with the activity. I need to see if I can generate a workout from those step messages. Would probably need to make that an option on the Actions menu for an activity.

Intervals.icu can also create workouts from the intervals on an activity. You need to drag the activity and drop it on a folder in your workout library:

3 Likes

I think I misunderstood the feature . It’s to label the workout based on the actual steps as “user defined” within Garmin Connect as opposed to just being able to have intervals.icu use laps by default. (which was the check mark in the /settings). Correct me if my understanding is wrong.

How about structured workouts created within intervals.icu for execution? Are the interval names being sent to Garmin Connect and thus the Garmin devices? If they are, possibly I can also integrate it.

TQ

My coach and I are using ranges and not exact % FTP for a lot of workouts. The nice thing about TP (web) is I can quickly glance at the target vs actual graph to eyeball how well I was doing. Look closely at that screenshot of 30/30s and you’ll see a target range of 299-354W and pretty good power control to stay in that range and not burn mini matches going way over due to terrain.

Garmin Connect mobile doesn’t show the ranges (draws a line down the middle) but still makes it easy to eyeball:

New interval detection on Strava privacy-zone laps does not feel so good :slight_smile:

Hi @david - this is great news! But I’m not seeing what I think you’ve described. I did a structured workout on zwift a couple days ago, using a workout imported from a trainer day workout. I had the same workout planned on intervals. I recorded the activity with a Garmin Fenix 7. Intervals brought in the activity from Garmin Connect (with updated info from Strava), but does not seem to have detected any intervals at all. I tried Clicking Analyze and checking the box to use laps but it still doesn’t detect any of the laps. (The workout was a HITT workout).

This is the activity :

https://intervals.icu/activities/i5032257

Thanks,
Michael

Yes the step names are sent. I don’t know if they end up in the fit file. Probably.

Ooh. I added a trap for those. Tx.

Hmm. The fit file for that activity only has 1 lap covering the whole workout. I tried undeleting the Strava activity and that has lots of laps but they don’t seem to match up with the activity power:

I don’t know if that is another Strava privacy zone thing?

I have updated the power interval code to ignore laps if there is only one and use auto detection.

@david Thanks for the changes, this is a good step forward.

Could the time displayed for the intervals exclude time when the device is stopped (or make it configurable so we can either see either elapsed time or lap time)?

As an example, on a run earlier this week I bumped into a couple of mates along the way, so stopped a couple of times. Intervals.icu shows the elapsed time for laps and pace:

Ideally I’d be able to configure Intervals.icu to display the lap times that were displayed on the watch, as Garmin and Strava do…

On Garmin Connect:

On Strava:

I’ve also noticed that the lap distances displayed on Intervals.icu look a bit confusing - I’ve got my watch set to auto-lap every 1 mile, but Intervals.icu is displaying 5275ft, 5263ft etc… It probably only needs that level of accuracy for short intervals.

Is anyone else’s “Use Laps” function not working anymore? I always have had that the “use laps” button checked, but my intervals seem to have reverted back to those that can be “detected.” Unchecking and rechecking doesn’t seem to fix the issue. I simply can’t get the site to rely on my laps anymore (from Garmin Edge unit or TrainerRoad) anymore.

My Laps seems to be working fine.

Data uploaded from BreakAway: Indoor Training app.

However, my outdoor rides are sync’ed from Strava and those are “not reliable” due to privacy zones set up within Strava.

Can you point me at one that isn’t working? Supposedly all that should be working fine. Tx.

https://intervals.icu/activities/7032794370

I’m unable to get the laps to register as intervals. Tried removing and adding from laps, but still only get “detected” intervals. This example is a 4x8 min intervals as laps from device.

I’m importing from strava, would i need to import from garmin to get laps?

Its a bit wierd since it laps from strava works in other integrations like veloviewer. Also, I name workouts in strava only so would be neat to get both the name ans the laps from the same place.

I have fixed this. I managed to break loading lap data from Strava a couple of days ago. You need to do Actions → Sync with Strava to get lap data for activities loaded after 18th of April. Sorry about that.

1 Like

@david I spot this kind of thing quite often with the Interval Data - random 1s recovery intervals:

It’s activity i5341128 if you need to take a look. Any idea what’s causing that?

It also labels it as “Recovery”, even though the pace is quicker than the rest. What determines what’s labelled as “Work” and “Recovery”?

Thanks for fixing it, @david !