Session-RPE vs RPE?

After a workout is finished I enter my RPE on my Garmin devices and it syncs to interval.icu,
OK so far, but I don’t understand the automatically calculated S-RPE.

Examples:

Workout with RPE 2 has S-RPE 99 → should RPE then be more like 1?

Workout with RPE 9 has S-RPE 531 → should RPE be more like 5?

Workout with RPE 4 has S-RPE 567 → should RPE be more like 5 or 6?

I’m often not sure what to enter for an RPE, so this comparison could help me to understand it better

1 Like

not sure if that helps

thank you, unfortunately not, I’m looking for something easy to understand :wink:

Session RPE is RPE multiplied by session time in minutes.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s exactly what I wanted to hear.

I have the following problem with the RPE rating, if I do a simple endurance workout for an hour, I give RPE=2

but what if I do the same workout for 4 hours, then it’s no longer RPE 2 but more like 5, right?

Theoretically, my S-RPE should be around 480, or? (edit: omg, i think it’s 1200)

So there is no table where i cann look, like something:

RPE 1 = S-RPE range 0-100
RPE 2 = S-RPE range 101-200
RPE 3 = S-RPE range 201 - 300…

RPE = 2 and 2 hours activity means 2 * 120 (min)= 240 S-RPE
RPE is judged globally over the entire activity and then multiplied by the number of minutes.

4 Likes

@fl33tStA: So we have established what S-REP is. No issues there anymore, I hope. And it’s easy to calculate – intervals.icu does it, so no need for a table.

But what I think you are getting at is something that might be problematic with the conceptualisation of session RPE: namely that duration is in effect being counted twice – first when we estimate RPE [longer rides are harder than shorter rides, at the same intensity] and secondly when we multiply RPE by duration in minutes. The implication is that session RPE counts a 2 hour ride at given intensity as more than twice the value of a 1 hour ride at the same intensity. How much more? – that depends on how much your RPE rises with time.

3 Likes

thx for all your helpull answers!

Hi @fl33tStA, your opening sentence made me curious. Is my understanding correct that you are entering RPE directly on the Garmin device and the RPE value is then transferred to Intervals.icu via Garmin Connect?

I am asking because this is not working for me. My older Garmin Watch does not have the option of entering RPE on device, but even when entering RPE in Garmin Connect App later this value seems not included in the FIT file of the activity.

What Garmin device are you using?

Intervals only gets the original FIT file from Garmin. Any manual edit on Connect will not make it to Intervals.

This is a good point and something I’ve been wondering myself in the context of non-steady state efforts.

How do others estimate RPE when it’s a fartlek (interval) session bookended by easy running before and after? E.g. something like 3mi easy warmup, 6x3min threshold (2 min recovery), 3mi easy cooldown.

Peak RPE in the threshold section could be around 7-8, but during the easy volume only around 3. If I use the peak RPE for session RPE, it seems like it would greatly overestimate the “true” session load. But ‘average’ RPE doesn’t seem right either, since the easy duration lasts much longer than the hard parts, the easy part would dominate. There’s also the memory peak-end rule and recency bias to account for.

For now I kind of just hedge and use the average RPE to adjust down the peak RPE, so for this session I would probably give a global RPE of 6. (Definitely not purely theoretical either, Jack Daniels’ programs have a ton of mixed effort long run workouts.)

Recording RPE in real time during the activity could be a good option

1 Like

This is what you could have for further analysis

1 Like

Oh wow, this looks like a perfect solution, but unfortunately I only have an Epix 2. Could do something manual every rep or x mins, but entering notes is probably a bit too cumbersome during an outdoor run.

Interaction in a watch screen would be difficult. It’s designed for Edge and it it is quite easy there

i think you can activate it since FR945, i use a Epix2 now!

Thanks

1 Like

it is called " Enabling Self Evaluation":

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/forerunner245/EN-US/GUID-EF0AFA5C-B1D8-4573-A07B-AA666CCD3E84.html

You are right, I found it on the Garmin Website now. To summarize for everybody interested:

The self evaluation feature is included starting with the Forerunner *45 Generation of watches - excluding the 645, which seems like the unwanted child when it comes to updates anyway (and which is the one I own).

Epix and Fenix are not mentioned there but the newer ones seem to have the feature as well.

On the Garmin Egde Side, the 1040 has it, but not (at least not yet as of today) the 1030 Plus - which again is the one I own… I think the lower tier edge units do also not have the feature.

Seems like a minor thing, but I had hopes I could avoid having to do the input on various ends. :roll_eyes:

I will probably only input on Intervals.icu now and skip the Garmin Connect input entirely.