Segments on non-Strava activities

Intervals.icu now displays segments from Strava on activities from non-Strava sources (Garmin, Polar, Suunto, Wahoo, Dropbox etc.). This is a supporters only feature as additional Strava API calls are required. Note that the Strava and non-Strava activities need to be from the same device. Connect Strava and other sources to see left/right balance and other things not kept by Strava along with segments.

17 Likes

That is great news :+1:

It wasnā€™t working for my last outside ride, so I did the following:

Went to /Settings and updated permissions on Strava (kept the upload from Strava unticked). It then worked.

Thanks @david - not important to me, personally, but is a nice extra feature.

Just to be sure that I understand. For the moment, Garmin sends my activities to Strava and iā€™ve just connect Garmin to Intervals. To activate this function, I should connect both (Garmin and Strava). Donā€™t I risk to have some activities in double ?

Yes you need to connect Strava and Garmin. Intervals.icu will delete the Strava activity in favour of the Garmin one so you shouldnā€™t get dups.

1 Like

Hi David, where do you see Strava segments on intervals?

If you look at the screenshot in the original post you can see them at the very bottom ā€˜Hotel Suikerbossie Topā€™, you can then press ā€˜Vā€™ and it will create an interval for it

Wow that is cool! Iā€™ve never noticed that. thanks so much

1 Like

Nice feature, thanks a lot!

One question:
Is there any possibility to see all my efforts on a special segment to compare them?
I donā€™t pay for Strava so I canā€™t see this in Strava.

Not directly but if you create an interval for that segment on each activity then you can compare the intervals on the interval search page (click the interval on top of the activity and then click the search icon).

Strava might get unhappy if I built something tracking actual segment performance over time.

5 Likes

Thanks for your answer and the workaround.

Think the same. Strava wouldnā€˜t be happy if you would build that feature.

Would be nice if that could be done with RideWithGPS too ! :star_struck:
For those who donā€™t know about it, RideWithGPS also manages your segments, and you can compare your PR with other riders. For free.

PS: another positive point is that there are fewer users on RideWithGPS than on Strava, so itā€™s ā€œeasierā€ to get KOMs/QOMs :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thanks @Gousti_Fruit I have used ridewithgps in past but not recently looked, it has some good improvements. I must admit it works well to compare myself with a segment, allowing you to split the segment into 1/4, or 1/3 or Distance markers etc and see the comparisons of power, time, speed, HR etc. I have one segment that is around 20min long so I use it sometimes as a FTP test and like to compare the activity results.

It may be good to get ideas to enhance intervals.icu > Compare page

2 Likes

Isnā€™t this what veloviewer is already doing? Iā€™m not too sure about how happy Strava is or if there are any handshake agreement going on or such.

Then thereā€™s also the Relive case
https://blog.veloviewer.com/about/

I was actually thinking of using the segments data and doing a performance over time kind of page.

Bug Report

For activities not from strava it seems the For Segment (V) button doesnā€™t appear. This is fine on desktop as I know I can just use the keyboard but makes it impossible to do on mobile devices.

Thanks. I have just fixed this.

1 Like

Thinking of becoming a supporter and moving away from TP premium. Searched the forum and was unable to answer this question:

Do you support Strava private segments?

Also, I found a post that Intervals will match to longer segments. And that you can use V shortcut to select an alternate. Are all segments available at the bottom?

I suspect private Strava segments will work but not certain.

Intervals.icu filters the segments to try pick ones that match the current set of intervals well. And those are displayed at the bottom. The V option creates an interval from the segment under the marker. Strava sends back very many segments for a given activity so there needs to be some filtering.

1 Like