Interactive interval finder

Use the “Find Intervals” option on the “Actions” menu under the activity timeline chart to interactively search for “best efforts” and optionally create intervals from these. You can use it to create intervals or just to quickly answer questions like “what was my highest 20m power for this ride and where was it?”.

Choose from any of the data streams on the activity (power, heart rate, speed, pace etc.):

Choose a duration or distance and click the search icon to look for intervals. The portion of the activity currently shown is searched. You can also choose to exclude parts already used by existing intervals.

If you specify a minimum value then intervals found are expanded to the maximum size with average power (or heart rate or pace etc.) over the minimum.

Click the tick icon to create intervals from those found. Hover over the numbers on the table to highlight individual intervals. Click the numbers to select and choose which are used to create intervals.

An example using GAP and distance for a run:

The trash can icon deletes existing intervals (with confirmation). The minus sign icon removes the last (weakest) interval in the list or the selected intervals.

32 Likes

Simply wonderful! Tnx :stuck_out_tongue:

One things, if I know that my workout consisted in a specific sequence of interval efforts, for example: 7m Z5, recovery, 15m Z5, recovery, 5m Z5, recovery, why not to introduce the possibility to specify a sequence of interval to search in the current time range selected?

You should be able to find all of those in one go with duration of 5m and setting the min power to a bit less than the target for the intervals. Each should expand to the full time.

In general the idea is to search for the highest power intervals first, create those, tick the “exclude intervals” box and then search for more lower power intervals. This should work for overs and unders etc…

2 Likes

Yes, it worked!!! Great :crazy_face:

Hi David,

The scrollbar does not allow seeing the entire paces. How can I enlarge the window? Note that I am using the Google Chrome environment.

Thanks.

This is great, would it be possible to have in the interval finder box a label field that you can manually type text be also applied to the intevals created?

That would be great :grinning: :+1:

I have added a label field to name all the intervals created.

In theory I might have fixed this. However it’s hard for me to test because Chrome on a Mac uses “hidden” scrollbars like Safari.

2 Likes

It seems that you have reduced the width of the scrollbar. The display issue is fixed on my end. Thank you very much, David. :ok_hand:

1 Like

hi david, i wanted to try out this feature but the app had a ClassCastException error when searching for 3 1 mile intervals on my run. here is the activity Intervals.icu

tested label and worked well. Thanks :+1:

Hi David, this tool is great for training and detecting intervals.

Is it possible to have this finder have an option to create intevals more like an auto-lap feature from a device? Maybe an additional checkbox to allow for this? For example I have some 10k races, I just want to split the activity into 10 intervals from start to finish, this would then help with gps errors etc as some show as 10.1k and some are 9.9km etc.

I have tried a few times with the inteval finder, if I select 1km it might only find 8 intervals even though the distance is 9.9km. I have also tried adding count = 9 but it still finds 8. Or if I select 4m30s it might not find as many intervals as I would expect. It doesn’t detect the inital 1-2mins where my heart rate etc is still rising it looks like.

If the interactive finder had an auto-lap ability, then I could for example check more easily for first half vs last half by just inputing 2 in the count field, and then compare things like average pace, heart rate quite easily for first half vs 2nd half ~5k, or enter count = 10 which would be ~1km etc.

I feel this would be great addition for race analysis and slicing and dicing the info more easily.

cheers

You can use the interval editor for this. Click the header of any interval to open it:

The “Whole activity” button expands the interval. Then you can split it into fixed size chunks or equal sized parts etc.:

Tx. I have fixed this. The moving stream was included in the list and that doesn’t make sense.

3 Likes

wonderful, thanks David, yep that works a treat. cheers

1 Like

Great. Thank you David

1 Like

Hi @david, wondering if it would be possible to add gradient to this interval finder. It would be great to easily find the greatest average gradients for a given duration. Good for the climbing cyclists and trail runners etc Cheers

Hmm, would the VAM chart not show you something very similar?

Thanks @MedTechCD
I can find the info within the activities with the charts, but it would be great if I could use the interval finder to easily find certain gradients based on either time or distance. I use a similar graph to what you have above currently with average gradient and altitude, with one of the fields as VAM.

For example if I do a scenic recovery ride through the hills, when I get back I might then be able to find some sections of road that are suitable to do some efforts on. either being short steep efforts or longer climbs.

i.e. in this screenshot this is where I do a lot of my 20 min efforts on that has an average gradient of just over 4%, If I am taking it easy it could take up to 30 min. The distance is around 6.5km

So for example would be great to use the interval finder to detect 6.5km above 4% average gradient which then should be able to find the same interval if my heart rate is not high or VAM.

cheers

I have added support for gradient. Will deploy Friday AM (GMT+2). It is calculated by looking at the grade_smooth data points. So not quite as accurate as looking at the starting and ending altitude and distance but easy to implement and good enough for this use-case.

1 Like

Thanks @david just checked and works great. Cheers

1 Like