How to use the Fitness graph best

I have a few questions about the Fitness Graph;

• What’s the best one to set the fitness graph to, “absolute value of shape” or “percentage of fitness”? Of course you can switch with both, but which one gives you instant feedback and which one gives you the best feedback?

• Should I be concerned that my “form” says -221% …after more than 6 months of little to to no activity? Is there a shortcut to getting in to positive numbers? (rather than switching from percentage of fitness to absolute value)

• For a fanatic amateur who has serious ambitions in Gran Fondo’s, what’s the best data to set to the graph? Which ones am I forgetting and give me the best indication that I’m doing well?

• Some workouts have drastic affect on progressing, and some of those workouts are easy (read: fun) to be performed. Does the same workout have a different affect in a later state of my fitness? What I actually want to say, when I see the green line drop into the High Risk zone I often plan a day or two of rest to get back into the Optimal zone. But can I use former workouts to prevent the green line from dropping into the High Risk zone? If yes, how? Which data indicator should I compare or use to chose a perfect affective workout? (read: I want to steer the green line as much as I can)

Hope I can count on your serious responses, I am desperate for some good advice. Thanks!

Here’s a really serious response :wink:

One word of advise from me as a coach…don’t be beholden to the ‘fitness’ graph.

Its a guide, not an absolute measure of your fitness (or performance) for that matter.

Don’t use it to define your training - allow your goals and events to do that for you (and use training concepts accordingly) - use it as a way to see progress, but not as something to train to increase.

That is to say…

“The best predictor of performance is performance itself” Andy Coggan

4 Likes

Thanks!

Makes sense, thank you very much!

Honestly, I think it is best used to manage training load (which is literally what you are tracking with it). Until I got in with intervals, I was over training. Once I began tracking it, I could see that really clearly and put in more z2 work to balance it out. Now that I am pretty fit, I am in less danger of over training (I can only train about 8 hours a week), so I use it make sure I have enough intensity to keep my load up.

1 Like

Thanks!