Heart rate recovery HRRc

When you do long running workouts, especially on moderate runs, or when do a Z2 and finish last kilometres with some high effort, you miss the heart rate recovery on intervals.icu.

I have started using the Garmin recovery function after the run, but this info is not processed lately, even not shown in Garmin (!), although it is received from the backend in their web:

I have search for this info on the fit file, and what you have is the final recovery HR as an event:

So to get the HRRec score it is necessary to subtract this recovery HR to the last HR of the workout (142 on this case): 142 - 105 = 37.

Much more easy :sweat_smile::

Keep in mind that Garmin uses 2 minutes to determine the HRRc, compared to 1 minute from Intervals.

Yes, I don’t want to replace intervals.icu calculated HRRc. This is a different value, different time monitoring -as you pointed- and different meaning (on a moderate run you do not push your HR above your “HRRc min HR”).

2 Likes

The two are great.
Exemple: An athlete did an Ironman at aproximatly vt1. After finishing and stopping, HR remaind over 100 for 9 minutes. Thats important to know and register.

It would be great if HRRc was an editable value. When importing erg-data from an interval session the HRRc is not calculated since there is no data during the rests between intervals. However, since I’m also use my Garmin watch the value can be calculated from this data.

I have an activity custom field that extracts the recovery HR from the end of the session on Garmin. It is public and named Recovery HR (RecoveryHR). Its value is editable.

3 Likes

Ah, nice! Thanks.

1 Like

Just keep in mind that HRRc calculated here uses 60s while Garmin uses 2-3min

3 Likes

HRRc requires an effort above a minimum HR value, and then continuous activity for 1 minute afterwards (keep moving even if it’s very easy).

Is there really a requirement on continued activity? As long as there is HR data after you’ve reached the minimum HR, the HRRc can be calculated.

1 Like

In some cases, workouts auto pause when there is no movement.

1 Like

Good morning every one,
I am new on Intervals and I am trying to understand how it works.

I don’t understand what Nbr I have to set for the HRRc Min Hr to have the correct calculation.

I understand that it is related to the max recovery from the Threshold HR recovery in 60s.

This is my setting:
Threshold HR 151
Max HR 165
HRRc Min Hr 151

Are the HRRc settting correct?

Thank you and sorry for my english

Marco

The settings are okay.

The best recovery value (HRRc) for any effort >151bpm for >1 minute in duration will then show.

Here is an example:

1 Like

It surprises me that there’s such a huge gap between “good” and “excellent” HRRc. It’s also beyond my imagination of what a 50-60 beats drop would look like (just got my first ever HRRc number and just start to learn about it). I’m curious if there are any known HRRc numbers from anyone in the elite peloton for reference?

Hi David,
as it is right now, HRRc is computed only for the one interval where the drop in HR is max.
I wonder if it weren’t a great idea to show (quantify) the decrease for all intervals that fullfill the criteria (HR above some threshold and then a drop of at least xY).
That way you could see a range of values, which could be especialy useful when you do a set of similar intervals.
The one max that is shown today could be an erroneous HR reading…
Cheers
Hauke

It is possible to do that with a custom interval field using Javascript:

1 Like