Garmin vs strava sync

I originally setup to sync from strava. Wondering if I should change to garmin. Can anyone tell me the benefits of disadvantages between one of the other. Thanks so much.

1 Like

Strava has segments which are displayed under the ride timeline chart as you move the marker. If you change the name of the activity then Intervals.icu will receive the update.

Garmin Connect provides the raw .fit files which contain additional data not supplied by Strava (left right power balance, running power, power meter used, lots of other things). Intervals.icu will soon have support for visualising that data. Garmin does not supply the activity name. So if you change that in Garmin Connect you also have to change it in Intervals.icu.

If Strava revokes Intervals.icu API access or discontinues their API then I have to delete all of your Strava data from Intervals.icu. Strava are no longer granting rate limit increases to apps which means they are currently following a “Strava apps must die” strategy.

If you do enable Garmin Connect support duplicate Strava activities will be replaced with Garmin ones. Thats currently a little buggy so sometimes you might need to delete the Strava one manually.

6 Likes

Hi David, thanks for the update on this! Given Stravas normal bullyboy tactics (things like Relieve etc) I have moved my connection from GC; Is there a way of setting to download between range? I dont want to overload the server thats all.
Ross

1 Like

You can set the oldest download date for Garmin in the settings box? Remember that Intervals.icu currently only supports .fit files and not .gpx.

hi there! I signed up but the sync seemed to have skipped a couple months at the end of 2021. any idea why? thanks!

How did you get it to download all that old data? Non-supporters are supposed to be limited to the last 3 months or so for Strava data? :slight_smile: Anyway I have filled in the missing data and it is busy syncing now.

hey! thanks for the reply; my coach got it started. i will become a supporter today. looking forward to this new platform. thanks so much @david

2 Likes

do you know how long the sync normally takes?

Somehow all of your activities disappeared? Did you disconnect from Strava? Then Intervals.icu is required to (and does) delete all activities from Strava. Anyway I am reloading it now but would like to know what happened.

Nevermind! I was being an idiot. Was looking on my laptop which doesn’t have your data (doh!).

haha ok! my coach is Tom Bell so he jumped in and removed power spike. also going to subscribe and support, just want to make sure i can get everything running smoothly before I spend the $ Lol.

Thanks for your help again!

1 Like

Respecto a la carga de actividades en intervals:
He comprobado que las actividades hechas en Zwift y que posteriormente se cargan en Garmin y Strava, no se suben a Intervals.
Todo esto teniendo marcado solo lo de Garmin.

Yes unfortunately Garmin stopped sending activities from non-Garmin devices to apps like Intervals.icu in April 2021. You need to get Zwift activities via Strava or Dropbox.

1 Like

Muchas gracias :relaxed:

Hola David tengo un problema similar, un compañero no puede ver las actividades panificadas en Intervals para Garmin, y otro tiene para mtb Garmin y para Ruta Wahoo, los dos asociados y no puede ver las actividades. Alguna sugerencia? Gracias

Upload of planned workouts to Garmin Connect is working as far as I know. Your friend needs to tick the “Upload planned workouts” box in Garmin in /settings and that should be it.

I am not familiar with “Garmin MTB” and “Wahoo Route” but activities from non-Garmin devices are not sent to Intervals.icu.

What about activities that are sync both from strava and Garmin. Will they remain in intervals.icu if you ever have to delete the data from strava?

Intervals.icu will generally delete the Strava activity if there is a matching Garmin activity (optionally using the Strava name and copying the segments) so its ok if the Strava one gets deleted properly at some point.

Is this same for Wahoo activities?
If Wahoo and Strava than Wahoo, Strava mostly ignored ? :slight_smile:

Currently I sync Garmin and Wahoo activities, disabled Strava sybc after all this rubbish with Strava lately. Plan to abandon Strava completely.

Thanks

2 Likes

Yes basically anything non-Strava is preferred over Strava activities because Strava doesn’t include things like L/R balance and so on.

2 Likes