Garmin Connect sync now supported

Tx. I had a look and those old activities appear to be GPX files which aren’t support yet. I do plan to support GPX (and TCX) but it looks like you will have to keep TP a little longer.

1 Like

I think I have finally fixed the “deleted Strava activities” being undeleted bug. So with any luck no more dups for people using Garmin Connect and Strava.

1 Like

I’m committed to intervals.icu for the long run (paid subscription will follow), so I’m a bit anxious with the pending disconnection from Strava. Since that’s where I gather all my data.

What would be the right way to avoid losing training data and make it a future proof connection?

Right now I’m thinking to sync all my Strava activities to Garmin Connect (or at least 1-1-2020 up to now), revoke Strava acces and grant Garmin Connect acces. Since Garmin Connect is a 1:1 copy of my Strava and is then again synced to Interval.icu I would keep everything exactly the same, just from another source.

Are my assumptions correct?

I think Strava will likely leave apps alone. They aren’t granting rate limits bumps so no app can get enough users to be “interesting” and actually revoking access will generate bad publicity. If they do revoke Intervals.icu access I will implement support for importing your complete Strava history via their “download all my data” feature. You can go use that now and keep the archive somewhere for safety e.g. if Strava removes that feature.

You should probably just download new activities from Garmin Connect and untick the “download from Strava” box. Don’t revoke access because then Intervals.icu is required to delete all your Strava data.

When you have the archive you can use the “Upload” option to upload the original files if you like. They will replace the Strava activities. You can upload more than one file at a time.

@david Just curious but I have seen other apps having an option to retain Strava activities on their system by explicitly asking if the user wants it to be retained prior to completing Strava deauthorisation.

If the data is “user data” and belongs to the user and that user agrees to it being retained, then seems like a legitimate way to deauthorise the Strava connection but keep historic data on Intervals?

The TOS is pretty clear on this:

All Data about an end user in your possession or control must be deleted by you upon such end user’s request or upon such end user’s termination or cancellation of the Developer Application subscriptions.

On the other hand the TOS explicitly prohibit analytics!!

You may not process Strava Data, including in an aggregated or de-identified manner, for the purposes of, including but not limited to, analytics, analyses, customer insights generation, and products or services improvements.

https://www.strava.com/legal/api

I’m still in doubt i fit is possible to add my whole (power measured) GC data from the past. If i set te GC download date on november 2018, will it get collect (after an while) all the GC data?

I ask this because i then want to revoke strava data, but it will delete all the history in intervals.icu. So first i “need” the GC data.

Yes it should eventually get all of it. Might take several minutes but it does depend on how quickly Garmin sends it though. Duplicate Strava activities will be deleted. Sou yo will be able to see if any are missing.

Still a pity that the activity name is not propagated from GC. I understand that the name is not available in the FIT file. It is however in the data delivered by exporting the activity as a GPX file. Could this may be a workaround to get the right activity name?

Garmin Connect only sends .fit files so no such luck with GPX :frowning:

Is Garmin Connect currently unable to push Zwift uploads to intervals.icu?

Yes unfortunately they stopped sending activities from non-Garmin sources to Intervals.icu (and others as far as I know) in April this year. I have asked if this could be reversed for Intervals.icu and didn’t get a reply.

This is becoming more and more like the new Operation methods. Companies which has their own hardware etc will only allow their software ecosystem to (auto anything) with their own devices.

Stryd does the same thing, if you don’t run with a stryd, you can’t upload (even manual uploads) data to their software ecosystem.

This is where software/sites like rungap / connectstats / tapiriik.sync comes in. But even then, they are bound by license agreements / API restrictions etc.

BTW, @david how difficult was it to get API Access to Garmin? Are you allowed to Push (completed) workouts there?

Garmin API access was easy. Just apply then they setup a call and you are off. I haven’t tried pushing completed activities only downloading activities and uploading workouts.

Looks like Wahoo are doing what you describe as well. They recently removed the ability to load workouts onto the device via USB and now have launched SYSTM ($14.99/month training planning etc. app).

Thanks. Perhaps its much easier now(?) as opposed to prev IIRC, they asked for a USD5000 setup fee or something.

As for Wahoo’s SYSTM USD14.99 fee, thats in line w/ what Zwift / TR is charging so among the “big boys” that’s the top tier pricing and for developers like me and you, we’re basically charging(or not charging) peanuts.

(TBH, I’m just trying to pay off the USD99/yr Apple App Store listing fee)

1 Like

iirc, Garmin is extremely picky about who is allowed to push workouts to Garmin, so basically no one can. It’s not part of their standard API and it’s reserved to only a few companies such as Tacx (since they own it), The Sufferfest (I assume SYSTM will now), TrainerRoad, and Zwift. You can get on their list, but it’s quite unlikely unless the app is one of the most used in training

As (one of) the 3rd party app developers, i think most of us are just trying to lower the bar for access by the masses.

Is Garmin connect sync down for anyone else? My ride hasn’t syncd across.

1 Like

Same here

This is likely due to an issue with Intervals.icu last night. Your activities should load soon.

1 Like