Feature Request: Mini-Map

Yes, great upgrade for your site. For me, this was the biggest thing missing. But now…
Really nice work, thanks.

2 Likes

This is a huge improvement, amazing work what you do. Thanks! @david

Thank you so much for this feature!!!
I have one question only. You can close the map with the cross on the right or see the information about the mapping tool beneath. After you do that with me the map dissapears and I cant get it back (not even if I close the page and reopen it). Is there a ON/OFF trick?
This site gets more fantastic every day!!

1 Like

Map link bottom of page

1 Like

Thank you!!! I searched the “Actions” and was to blind to see “map”

I’ve just noticed this map popping up yesterday. Good stuff. It is a nice to have. But if it is too costly, I think Strava link to the see the map is good enough (for me).

1 Like

If it is not on Strava it did not happen? There is a cyclists life out of Strava! For example on the bike and on intervals.icu. Sorry for that.

5 Likes

Awesome, thank you @david

2 Likes

I have setup a caching proxy for the tiles so hopefully I can fit into the Mapbox free tier. If not there are other much cheaper providers I can use.

2 Likes

Or make maps a “supporter-only” feature.

1 Like

Thanks a lot David, you are the best!
Very helpful! The only thing a was missing, now intervals is perfect.

This is a huge improvement, amazing work what you do. Thanks! @david

Awesome :clap:

I did consider that but people really expect maps to be there. It was ok long ago when Intervals.icu only worked with Strava but not anymore.

3 Likes

One thing to be aware of (that I can’t see, atm) is the Strava “security zone” on the map. If you start/ stop recording at your front door, then that’s where the map goes to.
Suggest: 1) incorporate a ‘hidden zone’ in the maps. 2) don’t start recording until you’re a little bit away.

1. involves work for David. 2) involves looking after yourself :slight_smile: but everyone should be advised.

Again, it’s what I see so far.
I may be incorrect.

1 Like

How many “followers” do you have here, versus Strava?

1 Like

I think a feature display / hide map by default should be enough to not over complicate, this is not a social network.

2 Likes

Significantly fewer ie 10% of.
But I recently joined a group of c100 persons: of whom a few are already on intervals (from when it was ‘less’ polished than - ) at the moment.

I would, also at the moment, find it hard to recommend, as my home is now immediately (and all past rides are) visible.

Nb I started with the group two months ago, got injured, got covid, got ‘work’…should be starting with them again, this week. I’ve suggested intervals to several people. I know of two that are lurking, and I also have a family member.

Though, may I ask - what is the actual point of your question? For me, being human and additionally being European: Privacy is privacy. Strava got it right with ‘the zone’, though I don’t understand why ‘flybys’ would be under privacy.

Summary: I do not want to know where 100 persons live.
Oh, and can you guess my sex? And who was at my place last night (they’re a cyclist)? And to finish - I reckon I NOW know the actual address of two persons I follow.

/not intentionally combatative, I hope you understand my points.

1 Like

I will look into a privacy circle. Agree that it is important.

1 Like

It’s a bit more than the map though. If someone is looking at your activity they can download the activity streams CSV which includes the GPS data.