Download activities from Garmin Connect

You can now enable automatic download of completed activities from Garmin Connect on the /settings page:

Tick the “Download activities” box. You will be taken to Garmin Connect to authorise Intervals.icu if needed. You can click the “Download old activities” button to fetch historical data. This may take several minutes. The activities will popup on your calendar as they come in.

The calendar page as a new option to show the source of activities:

This is useful to spot duplicate activities:

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 07.16.25

Note that currently you will get duplicates if your GC activities are also going to Strava. I will be making “download from Strava” configurable today.

Also activities from GC don’t have segments (can’t fix that) or laps (working on this bit).

10 Likes

Wahou Good job
Thank you David

There are various issues with the .fit files being downloaded that I am fixing as they come up. So if your activities aren’t showing thats likely why.

Just went to Strava - Settings - My Apps - and revoked Access to Intervals.icu …
Should solve it with the duplicates …

Sorry - or maybe not … lost the login to Intervals.icu …

1 Like

Question, when you make the sync to Strava button, will the files we already have uploaded stay or will that re-download everything?
I would rather not have to add/remove duplicate files.

Everything you have already uploaded will stay.

But will it also re-download all previous activities done on Garmin? (Duplicating everything)

Currently it will only download old Garmin activities if you use the “Download old activities” button. And these will duplicate ones from Strava. It doesn’t automatically download history as needed like the Strava integration does.

I am still figuring out how to make all this work nicely.

Hi David,

Apologies for being repetitive but now I have activities from both Strava and Garmin after using the download all the activities. How can I get rid of one set of activities with over 1000 different events? Is there a way to remove either all the Strava or other Garmin activities as of now there are duplicates? Also, am I able to just use only the Garman activities to be download it instead of the Strava. I actually find the loading of the Garmin activities to have more of a better description.

Thanks again!

I am going to turn off the “Download old activities” feature for Garmin Connect until I can figure out how to deal with dups and implement a general “migration from Strava” option.

I can delete all of the Garmin or Strava activities for you. Just let me know which set to get rid of.

1 Like

Let’s all of us Garmin users standby to know how to relief the load on the Strava API without messing everything up.
We wait for your instructions Captain :slight_smile:

If the Garman connect activities download automatically I would prefer to keep those as opposed to Stava. Please proceed to delete all of the Strava activities. Do you have some documentation which explains in more detail how I can fine-tune my training. I’m not much of a bicyclist. I basically do weights, cardio, boxing in a little bit of cycling. But I find your software to be quite handy. I’m trying to better understand the difference between the fatigue and fitness and some basic documentation explaining how I can fine-tune my training or some sort of tutorial would be very helpful.

A lot of the terminology comes from Coggan, Hunter and Training Peaks. So Trainings Peaks blog or documentation are a good place to start your readings https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/what-is-the-performance-management-chart/

Does Garmin Connect also mark an activity as a Race like strava? Love that feature in the fitness graph with the red dot, to see for what event i was peaking.

No it doesn’t but you can do that from Intervals.icu (click the ride icon or name on the detail page).

1 Like

but there is a type of Event on Garmin Connect that allows you to flag it as a race

1 Like

I see you can flag an activity as a race. I will need to experiment with “activity summaries” to see if I can get that info. It’s not in the .fit files I am currently processing.

Ok, thanks for removing the duplicates. How do I stop from automatically downloading Strava activities and instead only download new Garmin connect activities automatically?

Is there someone I can speak with about the difference between my Fatigue and Fitness? I need to better understand what chart is telling me.

Rahul, Fitness is your 42-day weighted moving average training load. Fatigue is the 7-day weighted moving average training load.

In plain language, Fitness is the 6 week average training load, weighted so that current activities count more than earlier ones in that 6 weeks. Fatigue is the same but for one week. Fatigue, then, is short term average training load. Fitness is longer term average training load.

The difference between them is Form. This tells you whether your training load is going up or down and by how much. The verbal descriptors attached to Form tell you whether your load is going up at a decent rate or is going up dangerously fast.

In my opinion, Fatigue and Fitness are misleading names. Just think of them as short term and long term training load, respectively.

1 Like

“In my opinion, Fatigue and Fitness are misleading names. Just think of them as short term and long term training load, respectively.”

I agree. What your current true accurate fitness is difficult to tell. And even the term “fitness” is ambiguous. Probably your training load will improve your fitness.

1 Like