Comparing Efficiency factors from seasons

Hello,
is there a way to get an average of the efficiency factor or even the max for a season to see improvements? I can plot it per day but I I feel that might not show the progress that much since on recovery rides or slow rides the ratio is low. Not sure if it even makes sense to track this, I am still rather new to cycling I am just looking for ways how I can track if “I get better” and efficiency seems like a good metric to look at.

Thank you for the great webpage :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can set a plot for “power/HR Z2” in the fitness graph - this seems like a good way to track over time. I’ve set it up as a 7 day running average

1 Like

Thank you, I was not aware of the 7 day average. That sounds like a great idea.

1 Like

The problem with EF is, as you mentioned, its lack of linearity along the power level.

Dr Seiler introduced a new metric to prevent this.

It is something like percentage of 6 minutes power (trying to model VO2Max power) over percentage of HR reserve.

I created it in Golden Cheetah and it is much more linear, however not perfect.

If I did it, I guess it would take 2 minutes for David to deploy it here. :grinning:

2 Likes

Thats a good one. The decoupling chart at the bottom of the activity power page uses %eFTP and %HRR. I used % eFTP instead of 6m power to make it more general to work for people who haven’t done a 6m max effort. So I would go with %eFTP / %HRR.

The power/HR Z2 metric already implemented has the advantage that is calculated from cleaned up and HR lag adjusted data points.

1 Like

That’s basically the same as my feature request: power / HRR
That would solve the lack of linearity along the power level.

According to what I was getting was not totally linear but much better than the simple NP/HR or even NP/HRR.

The idea that I get from Dr. Seiler is that the Power metric he is looking for here will be a percentage of MAP (or VO2Max Power). The problem of using FTP related variables is that %HRR should have a fairly linear relationship with %MAP but, since FTP will be a percentage of MAP that can go from around 60 to 85% of FTP, the linearity will be lost around its proximity. Actually this could start happening above LT1.

Anyway, for around LT1 and bellow, I would say %eFTP/lagged%HRR will be much better than NP/HR.

So that suggestion of using Z2 makes a lot of sense to me. :+1:

1 Like

Aha. I could get the same even without a max 6m effort by using modelled 6m power like in the workout builder.

2 Likes

Hello! Is there any way to plot an Internal/External load metric for running? Like the % of HRR / % of 6 min pace as presented by Ed Maunder and Stephen Seiler here: The Importance of 'Durability' in the Physiological Profiling of Endurance Athletes - PubMed ?

Probably using something as the running ‘treshold pace’ that we set for athletes in their settings could do the job. Guessing if this could not be added in the ‘activity pace’ page as the decoupling chart is displayed for cycling activities.

Thank you!

1 Like

Haven´t read the content of your link yet, but for me the running efficiency metric comes to mind. It´s meter per heartbeat. I use that to track my endurance performance.
Jim Vance uses that in his book ´Running with power´