BreakAway: Indoor Training App Now with Intervals.icu Calendar integration (Workout Of The Day)

The MisuroB+ is supposed to be sending out the Power Data hence there should’t be any need to do Speed to Power. At least that’s my understanding.

On the SETTINGS Page, does the B+ Show up? or rather, what is shown as connected?

if you would indulge me, can you send me some logs?

Please input “loglevel10” (w/o qoutes) into the DEVELOPER box
It would be best to ensure that you turn OFF your B+ first and only turn it on when you’ve entered the “loglevel10” to give the app a chance to log the connection.

After that, just let the app connect to the sensors/ trainer etc and then do a few spins on it. something like 10-20s would suffice just to collect some trainer data packets.

Then email me the 'Debuglog" file from the HISTORY page.

Tx

@app4g Thanks for the reply, I just sent the log files on your support mail via the app. Please LMK if you need anything else.

Hey, first of all thank you for the great app. I’ve tried it on a couple of runs with ERG and slope mode and it works great. Setup was easy and I’ll definitely be using this from here on out.

I have had one problem - every time I have the chance to earn medals from watching ads, I get ‘No Ads Available’. Is this a known issue? Any solution? I’ll probably just buy some here and there but would appreciate any insight on earning medals. Thanks.

Hi There… Thanx for your support.

To confirm, you’re doing cycling and not running right? I’m still looking for some users w/ access to a treadmill (preferably that can connect via bluetooth) to improve it’s support.

Have you tried the combo ERG + SLope mode? Would love to get feedback.

Yes… it’s a known issue which I’m seeing more and more and which is really impacting whatever little revenue I’m getting (each ad is like 0.001 - 0.1 cents, but more on the lower end). It’s really a black box w/ Google Ads and there’s no support (esp if you’re not a paying customer w/ an Google Ads account manager and buying ads for display). But from what i read on forums and such, google ads is already the best in terms of ability to provide ads.

My guess is that it has to do w/ Geographical region of where you are. I think their major market is USA but I’m just guessing.

in-App-Purchase was added due to some requests and after finding out these “no ads available” situation.

Hmm, interesting. To offer myself as a datapoint, I am in a major metropolitan area of the US (I guess second largest market if that gives you a clue) and have consistently been getting the ‘No Ads Available’ message, so I wonder if there is something funky going on with Google’s end.

Yes, I am talking about cycling, just to be clear.

Hmm, how do I use the ERG + slope mode? I think I read about that on your blog… It requires a specific format of intervals.icu workout file, right? Just confirming since I do not see it explicitly as an option under ‘Settings’.

From what I can see from Google’s dashboard that it provides, Approx 50% of the time, there are no ads (of which, only 20% of ads are actually shown - which means, ads are loaded, but users are not viewing them to gain medals)

This post should help. Short version is, any watt that is <10 would be regarded as slope for that “interval”

Like all coders/ Engineers, they are not v adept at writing out these blog / informational pieces :frowning:

Maybe I could ask chatGPT to do it instead… lolz

Ah I see! Okay if I try out ERG + slope mode sometime soon I will let you know. For what it’s worth I have been using the slope mode on random courses to break up the monotony of my long indoor rides and it has been pretty nice. I will say the ‘downhill’ portions feel a lot harder than outdoors but I use smart rollers, so don’t really have a proper flywheel. I am sure it feels better on a regular trainer.

Also, for what it’s worth I have had ads pop up a couple times in the last week so I know it works now at least. Still surprised how rare they are though.

Thanks for the help.

Good to hear that.

Both Uphills and Downhills are much harder than outdoors. In fact, any indoor ride (for me) are much harder than outdoors. There may be other factors, but to me, one big one is that you don’t really get much of a chance to coast.

Fun Fact, did you know that Zwift, even Downhill slopes are halved eg: -8% = -4% by default. something like that. I beleive it’s called “Trainer difficulty”. I’m gonna be replicating this as some of my indoor slope rides of my outdoor rides just seems so much harder vs outdoor.

re: ads - can’t do much about it. In fact, the more this app progresses, the more it seems that developers are at the mercy of Google Ads. One wrong more and Account Banned. :frowning:

I use Trainerroad to control my smart trainer and always use “resistance” mode to set the power. Is there a way to use BreakAway in the same way? (resistance goes from 0 - 100, so a lot of options are possible.

I didn’t know TR offers “resistance” mode. I googled it a bit and read some, but still unsure how one does a Structured training using resistance mode.

Do you change the resistance level at every interval or just use 1 resistance level for the entire workout?

say in ERG
10m 50% FTP
10m 80% FTP
10m 50% FTP

how does this work for resistance mode?

The app currently offers Slope Mode, as i understand it, slope mode essentially is just resistance mode since it also needs users to manually change gears to reach the target resistance.

Is the Structured workout basically just gonna be like a Suggested Target, a Graphic (of the workout0 and then 1 set resistance for the entire workout (unless you change it).

is this how it works?

While I sounds interesting, this could possibly be a huge undertaking as the architecture of the app would needs changing.

Have you tried out Structured Slope Mode workouts?

Will try this next week when i’m back indoors.

In TR it is just a normal workout with power targets and I have to manually set the resistance % to hit my targets.

Here you can see the workout profile and I have to change the resistance % every block.
I find this mode more engaging then ERG mode.

1 Like

Im thinking about this mode…
you say it’s 0 - 100? I think it’s trainer dependent, My trainer, I see it’s Trainer App shows 0 - 10 so that’s a big difference… I wonder if 1-10 == 1-10% slope

When I use my Edge 530 to control the trainer, I can also set a “resistance” target, but only 1-10. But the steps are way to big. With the slider 1-100 you can finetune the resistance on the trainer.

I’m not sure it matters what the slider is, 1-10 or 1-100 as essentially the trainer will only accept some discrete number.

Anyways, I don’t have a FTMS trainer so I cant test it, I can play around w/ ANT+FEC over BLE.

This almost seems like Slope Mode essentially, only difference is, my version of SLOPE mode or ERG+SLOPE mode would either

1. Not have the workout graphic
  2. the workout graphic would look “weird” (Slope Based Structured Workouts Now Supported (BreakAway: Indoor Training iOS))
1 Like

you can also keep the resistance at a set point and change your gearing for the interval. This allows for some interaction. e.g., you can ride at resistance 5 with cadence 85 to achieve 50% FTP, fro 70% ftp you then consciously shift down and increase your cadence to 95

When switching to resistance mode in TR I always liked to have the slide around 18%. This matched my preferred gearing and Z2 power. From there I would just switch gears and/or change cadence as the goal power required

1 Like

Personally, the uphill portions feel pretty realistic. You are right about the constant pedaling thing for downhills, but I can definitely feel a lot of resistance being applied by my trainer that kind of feels off. Not a big deal as it is easy to change the resistance by using the + or - buttons for slope… and I think it is mostly because I have a tiny flywheel. Probably feels better on a conventional smart trainer.

Anyway, great work… I am here to stay so will keep providing feedback etc… Haha… too bad about Google Ads but I will buy medals as needed. Happy to support.

1 Like

That’s what I would like too… only way to get better and gain more users.

Would you like the idea of having this Trainer Difficulty slider like Zwift? (eg: Halving/reducing the actual slope % by a certain %)

What Trainer do you have? FTMS? There’s supposedly a field that when queried will return the supported range of “resistance” from a trainer, but I don’t have an FTMS capable trainer but I will look more into this definitely.

BUt instead of using resistance, i will use Slope % first as that’s what I already have coded up and is confirmed working.

ON TR, when doing workouts on resistance mode, Is Power Matching enabled or disabled? I would guess that it’s disabled since unlike ERG, no actual power is being output by the trainer (hence, nothing to match). Its gonna be acting like a dumb trainer w/ those resistance dials correct?

Currently for SLOPE mode, powermatching is turned off by default for BreakAway: Indoor Training

Not very familiar with Zwift, but I guess this feature is pretty simple. Is it configurable by grade, or is it just a general slider for all grades?

If the former, that actually sounds like a good idea so people can adjust based on how their specific trainer/device feels on certain grades.

So for example, in my case I would just leave it as is for the uphill portions, but maybe reduce resistance by half on any negative grade. that is effectively what I sometimes do manually now.

I’m thinking a (separate) general slider for Uphill and Downhill.

1 Like