BreakAway: Indoor Training App Now with Intervals.icu Calendar integration (Workout Of The Day)

This is strangely weird. I don’t understand how the BT from Garmin would interfere…

I can understand if somehow your Garmin is Connected to the Trainer and sending commands, but not when it’s NOT connected. (Can you please verify that the Garmin watch does not have any ANT+ or BT connection to the trainer?)

Also, if your Garmin is connected to the trainer(via BT), then BreakAway won’t be able to connect to it (trainer) as well. (only newer trainers have multiple bluetooth connection capability - like my Polar H10, it has 2 BT connections, can connect to Phone + iPad if wanted)

Unless Garmin is connected as ANT+ to the trainer.

BTW, when I do indoor rides, I dual record using my Garmin as well. (cos VO2 max etc are all in-watch calculation)

Tho I am glad that it’s working, it’s just weird.

SLOPE mode updating.
I did more testing with slope mode and with workout from interval with mixed erg and slope mode. What I reported previously is not true. Garmin 255 does not interfere with Elite Direto.
Elite Direto works perfectly in ERG but do not react to slope commands coming from BreakAway. Exactly the same happens with Whoosh. After hundreds of test (switching on and off everithing, pairing, disconnecting and pairing again) I discovered that when run the Zwift App and I wait Zwift connects with Direto, then Direto start accepting and controlling Slope mode also from BreakAway and Whoosh. Note that my Zwift account is expired, but I do not need to start a ride, it’s enough to connect the Direto with the App.
After having done this Direto works perfectly even if I close Zwift, switch on and of Bluetooth and the like. It works until I switch off and on again the Direto itself: if I do so I have to re-do the Zwift procedure.
Still quite weird to me, but my Elite Direto is quite old (first release) and possibly newer trainers will never suffer from this issue. Today I spent one hour to discover this but now I eventually know how to use BrakAway in slope mode.
Might be useful to other old Direto users.

Thanks for the detailed investigation and I would have to say, wow… this is really interesting… I do wish I can figure out what / why this is happening.

Yours is a FTMS trainer, and usually FTMS trainers need an “unlock” procedure to get it to accept commands. This “unlock” procedure is AFAIK, the same between ERG/SLOPE or x mode. (Essentially it’s supposed to be 1 command to unlock and “get control”)

So, if BreakAway is able to unlock and control the Trainer for ERG, I dunno why it doesn’t work with SLOPE mode.

Let me research it… for now, I’m trying to code up the “Resistance” mode that was referenced a few posts back. (98% done)

1 Like

Is it this?

this article says it has/is using a Elite specific “smart control” vs FTMS (tho in BreakAway it’s connected as FTMS)

do you know if Zwift is using FTMS? (i’m not sure if it says anywhere)

@app4g yes the trainer is that one.
As far as how Zwift manages the connection, I will try to check tomorrow when I will be in my pain cave if the app specify something about it.

EDIT: unluckily ZWIFT does not provide many details on how it connects to the Direto

Thank you for your support on the matter

1 Like

I just finished the maiden ride using the suggested “Riding in Resistance Mode” while still showing the Ride Workout Graphic.

I’m not sure if I’ve gotten all the quirks out but the initial testing does seem like it’s behaving the way it should. I can switch from ERG to RESISTANCE mode and subsequently ride some intervals in ERG and some in RESISTANCE Mode. (I can also switch to HR Target mode)

The unfortunate thing is, there’s no clean cut way to change from ERG → RESISTANCE or vice versa per specific intervals automatically and to have the switches sync up to the interval times.

eg: you have 10s left to next interval and you want to switch to RESISTANCE mode, currently you would have to manually change it and if you want the switch to be correctly at the interval start, i guess you would need to time when you press the (resistance mode) button.

How does TR resolve this? Are you able to do an automatic switch from ERG->RESISTANCE on a per-interval basis on TR? (something like the ERG+SLOPE Structured workout mode)

@SaSha1103 / @maamen I’ll post up a BETA version if you guys are open to testing it out.

let me know…

1 Like

Fixed… TX

In TR, you have to manually adjust the resistance % to match the intervals.

I’m on iOS, do you have a testflight app so i can test this? There is a threshold session scheduled tomorrow, I can test this feature then.

2 Likes

Thanks for doing the testing. I’ve sent the Beta to Apple for approval 8hrs ago, but havent heard back since. It may take a while before it gets approved.

@SaSha1103 The new version w/ resistance has been approved by Apple. You can get it from using the link above.

Changes:
Added Resistance Mode (using GRADIENT)

• Ability to manually change from ERG / RESISTANCE / HR Target Mode via SETTINGS

• Added ability to have a preferred Initial starting Slope % for all Structured workouts. Default at 2%

• Suggested to include SLOPE as one of the Data Field if ever needed to increase or decrease SLOPE % from the preferred Initial Starting Slope %

• Fixed MENU/CLOSE Rotation bug in Intervals.Icu Activity Details.

• Added Duplicate Sensor Type Alert

• Fixed Dist Remaining Data Field showing -ve in Free Ride Mode

• Fixed Out Of Zone colours when in Free Ride Mode

• Added Long Press “>>” button to directly skip to Cooldown

• Added Cadence Audio Cues / Target Support

Hmm… that doesn’t seem ideal. Would Automated change from ERG → RESISTANCE mode be something users would be interested in?
Something similar to the ERG+SLOPE structured workout mode BreakAway already has. (The downside of this mode is the workout graphic doesn’t have a PWR Target)

The close button is unable to close

I tried this on the simulator on iOS 14.5 and it works.
YOu still have to rotate the phone to get the CLOSE/MENU button?

Currently unable to duplicate this…

The button is visible, but the close button has no effect。
rotate the phone is same results

Uploaded new bETA… let’s see if that helps.
You should receive an email when it finishes processing from Apple.

Tx

@Toshiro BETA version now has Uphill and Downhill portions “realism” configurable. YOu would still see eg: -10% SLOPE on the display, but it would only replicate -2% (based on a 20% realism percentage per screenshot below)

2 Likes

The beta 67.2,The function of CLOSE/MENU is OK!

2 Likes

Hi Dev!

Downloaded your app, synced with intervals, downloaded my workout and now I do have 80 medals. It says I should watch an ad for more medals to do the workout → but then it shows me “No Ads Available”.

What does it mean?

Best,
R

1 Like

I have updated / added this info box in the next release version.

In short - “No Ads Available” means there was no ads available from Google to be served. I can only guess how they (google) does the algorithm on when are ads available for any particular app/country/timezone/time of day etc. I really have no idea.

It’s really not ideal and have tried to look for other alternatives, but they are actually even worst.

2 Likes

Looks great! I’ll check it out.

2 Likes