Bike and other gear usage tracking

Is there any development on the possibility of adding multiple Gears in an activity? I’m trying to track the battery life of my HR chest strap, but I don’t always run with it. I already have 7 pairs of shoes that I use, doubling that to log the shoes with and without the strap seems unreasonable.

Not yet. I’m playing around with tags and custom fields. The custom fields add tags if the serial number if the hrm is found in the activity. And then a script could go over activities with that tag and update the totals of the hrm item that way

1 Like

I’d like to make a request to add a new gear category specifically to add and track monitoring devices like HRM’s, foot pods, I’d probably also add my watches, head unit. Right now I’m using the Equipment category which seems more for weight training equipment. Maybe label the category something like Monitoring Devices. Thank you.

1 Like

You can set this up yourself today under components. With instructions for change. Under retired you can see how long the parts lasted.

I’ve tried that approach and I don’t think it works well. For example my Polar H10 HRM, I added it as a component but then I have to add it to my bike, all my shoes as a component if I want to track it’s usage for all these activities. I think it would be much easier and more user friendly to add it under Gear and then select Default gear for [and add all the activities one time]. Same situation goes for my Stryd pod, I’d need to add it as a component to all my shoes, whereas if it’s listed under Gear, I can set the default activities once. Using components works fine if you’re adding your bike components, Di2 battery etc. to your bike but when you have a component that’s associated with multiple gear items and activities it’s really clunky.

1 Like

The shoot wouldn’t help you either?
or do you want more options here

Maybe you can post a picture where you need more options. There are some extremely clever people here who can certainly help you. I (luckily) get along well with equipment management :slightly_smiling_face:

I agree with this.

Here’s another thread where this was briefly discussed:

Thanks for the reply Cooper. I’ve attached two screenshots showing how I have this currently set up. I added my Polar H10 in Gear and selected the Equipment Type. Maybe it’s just the Equipment Barbell icon that is throwing me off, but that said, I think it would be nice to have another Type option that is specific for monitoring devices, this way you add it once, associated it with the default activities and you can track usage in one place.

Thanks for sending the link to the other thread.

@david Is there a way to add a component to another component? Example: I have added a HR belt and its battery to the bike as a component so that I can track it including the battery. If I now use a different belt, I have to remove both the belt and the battery individually. It would be helpful if you could select and deselect them as a set or create them as equipment and assign them to another, for example the bike. same will be useful for the case of Shoes with Soles.

Not at the moment. I decided to keep it simple by only having one level of hierarchy. It is already complicated with reminders adding a 3rd level. I do plan to support multiple gear per activity when I get a chance.

4 Likes

I have two waxed chains in rotation every 300 miles so I always have a fresh chain ready to go. I re-wax the chain I rotate out at my convenience. What would be the best configuration to support a reminder to rotate in a fresh chain at the 300 mile point? I don’t care about the total mileage I’m getting from a chain. When it’s 0.5% worn, I toss it.

off topic… but

300 hundred miles?
i do with 300 kilometers and some times I do earlier because I can hear a typical noise specialty when using heavy gears on low cadences. Literally smashing potatoes kkkk
what type of wax do you use?

I don’t mash gears so maybe I’m getting more miles from my wax job. Homebrew recipe of refined paraffin with 1.6 micron PTFE powder mixed in.

4 Likes

I do a similar thing with three chains. I have represented all three as a single gear item with a mileage reminder to rotate to the next chain and rewax as needed. I don’t know the exact mileage on each chain, but as you say, measuring the wear is more important anyway.

1 Like

I change chains every 1500km, i.e. now I will install chain number one so temporarily chain number one should not have mileage counted, but when 1500km pass on the second chain chain number one should have mileage counted again only from that moment - how to do it?

Is there a way to backdate a component change? Or maybe another way to think about it would be to retro-actively assign components for specific activities?

Case in point, I switched my chain before my ride yesterday but didn’t have time to update intervals, so now I have that ride registered on the old chain rather than the new one.

Obviously not the end of the world, but some way of saying “no actually the bike had these components on this activity” would be nice. If it doesn’t already exist, that is.

Go to the activity or activity listing, and remove the gear. Change the component(s) on the gear, and then re-add the gear to the activity.

Since this can be done to bulk, it’s fairly quick even if you’ve realized after a few activities.

2 Likes

You don’t even need to remove the gear from the activity.

I just did this today when i realized i forgot to (virtually) change the tires on my commuter bike when i (actually) changed the tires on my commuter bike last August.

I created and added another set of tires to my commuter bike, back dated the ‘date purchased’ field. Click ok so that you back out all the way to your settings page. Go back into the bike and open the old tires component and click ‘calculate’. It will re-calc based on being replaced by the new tires ‘purchase date’.
Select ‘retire’ and they’re off that bike!
Go to the new tires component page and click ‘calculate’ and it re-calcs the mileage from the back dated ‘purchase date’.

Really slick and easy/logical! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Crew

I seem to be unable to set up my gear in the settings page. I have two bikes. Each have a Power Meter. I assigned the PM Serial to each bike and set the purchase date back in time to 2022 when I got one of the bikes. When I hit “Calculate” nothing happens and the ODO shows “0”. I even went back and deleted all the default Gear on all the activities back to 2022.

Still nothing when I hit calculate. What am I doing wrong?