Annual Training Plan

The weekly targets are supposed to support this kind of planning. Are you looking for a better/different user-interface to those?

An Excel file is much easier to use for this. Think of it as the macro view while the calendar currently in Intervals as the micro view.

Edit: this is very similar to what I use to workout my first half of the season.
I know which workouts I need to, so base don history, the future is easy(ish) to plan.

2 Likes

Unless I have missed it, I think it would be good to have the ability on the fitness page an option to plot on a custom chart the planned weekly TSS goal. You can then overlay your planned load for workouts and also see your historic load to review planned vs. actual

3 Likes

The way they are they are not really helpful for long term planning. A visualisation would be nice and the impact on fitness, fatigue and tsb. So that I can plan roughly how hard each week for the next few months should be and know how those 3 parameters got effected. After that a deeper dive into the weeks and the workouts for each day is much easier.

3 Likes

Yes, but you can easily integrate this imo. One of the few points I think are made good at Trainingpeaks.

@cyclingeryk I have added “include weekly target load in future fitness” to the todo list. It’s not super simple to implement unfortunately.

@Gerald I think I need to do an “Excel style” planning view for the calendar at some point.

@Olly_Thomas I have just added weekly targets to the fitness plots

5 Likes

@David, I am setting up an Annual Training Plan in i.icu right now. There are a few questions and issues, which I will summarize here over the course of the day. Happy to learn how to possibly do things better or where I am misunderstanding/missing the i.icu approach. And for the rest I hope it helps you to improve i.icu a little bit further;-)

• copying/pasting weekly targets from one week to another would be very useful, but it seems that this only works for detailed schedules of workouts, not for the “simple” weekly targets. Could that be added?
  • in the Fitness chart “weekly-target load/7” displays with full double-precision, i.e.,very many digits – should round to reduced/significant, e.g., 1 or maybe .1.
  • when I add a calendar entry, e.g., a Note by clicking on a date in the calendar, the start date is preset – nice:-) However, it would be great if now adding a end date that this would also be set to the same day, not to “today” as it now seems to be the case
  • “Holiday” does not seem to show on Fitness chart, but it would be highly useful for planning to have this show up like a Note, too

Here’s a somewhat longer one on predicted Fitness/Fatique/Form (PMC) and CIL:

1. It seems that weekly and “individual” targets are per sport, which is good. I.e., when one adds a Run, the weekly load for Rides ist still used. However, when one adds a single Ride to a week, could even be the Race of the race week, the planned weekly load for Rides is “forgotten” (in the PMC). Would it be possible to take the weekly load, subtract the loads of individual planned workouts, and add the reminder to the week. Either evenly distributed over i) “empty” days, ii) days without Ride, or iii) even simply distributed over all days. (Of course, similar for Runs, etc.;-))
  2. (less important) For many future weeks I have already scheduled the non-cycling activities, e.g., my weekly Badminton training and my Monday “Run and Fitness” event. This leads to very funny oscillating behavior in “CIL” predictions. There are two “issues” here:
    2.1. Even though the load for the two days is similar (Fitness: 30:30, Fatigue 40:30) the CILs differ as 73: 34. The days here are Monday and Wednesday, but I plot this “as is”. The also difference seems to be to large to me…
    2.2. The real culprit is the missing contribution of the weekly load of Rides, i.e., the load specified only in weekly targets.
    I am not sure it is reasonable, but I would have expected these weekly loads to also influence the CIL. The fact that it does not also makes the “CIL Fitness average decay” because it has only very little load in these future weeks.

I just did the first 3. Tx for the improvements!

2 Likes

Holiday shows up on my plan.

@Gerald , did you put this in as type Holiday or as Note with title “Holiday”? :wink:

I add as follows:

When I go to edit it, it shows as follows:

Well, there is something weird in your process: Why does it change the category to Notes by itself?
It stays category “Holidays” for me, which does not show in the fitness chart.

Thanks @David for the ultrafast support! :slight_smile:
However, the target load still has “infinite precision” here:-o

Sorry forgot to mention that you need to delete that plot from your chart and re-add it to get the fix.

1 Like

The easiest way to do this is to just use “Notes” instead of “Holiday” and use “Holiday” as the name of the note.

2 Likes

:rofl:
Yes, I am using that workaround, too;-)

1 Like

Hi - apologies as I realise this is an old thread now, but agree with this suggestion and the replies - what we’re looking for is the kind of chart you get in TrainerRoad or Trainingpeaks that allows you to plot and visualise your plan over the course of a season, and better plan towards events. The weekly summaries are great, but having a plot ahead in a graph would be super helpful :slight_smile:

So you mean having the fitness chart visible in some way on the calendar page? You can see fitness for future dates on that chart.

hi - yeah I guess this kind of does a similar thing (thanks for this tip, I’ve now moved my chart out into the future by a month to see future fitness based on planned workouts)

This was what I was meaning though:

You can do this using the notes feature and putting in outline workouts ahead of time to etc.

Appreciate its not completely the same as TP functionality but it is a good middle ground.

I mark out weeks and training blocks and some outline workouts and then start to fill them out in more detail as I settle on what a block is going to look like.

I would suggest that having an outline of what you need and want to do ahead of a event is good but the detail of that is best planned on shorter time frame - eg. 6 weeks - as a lot can change block to block.

2 Likes