Data collection is completed in 2 minutes. If not, some issue happens.
After testing the app with a Garmin HRM Pro+, I’m afraid this HRM is not able to provide HRV data to the app if it is connected simultaneously to the device as native sensor. You should remove it from the sensors list of the device.
For sure, the configuration for your fenix7, both using ANT, will not work.
Optical HRM is not good at all for this application. Even if it provides support for HRV, data quality is extremely inaccurate, at least under activity condition
I have also noticed that the Garmin HRM Pro+ is lazy to be activated when it is in stand by mode. Be sure it is moistened to assure it activates correctly
That’s good news on all front. At least I was following the steps OK ![]()
I expected the signal from the optical HRM not to be great. I will try again with HRM Pro+ following your instructions and if that fails, I will dig out the very old Garmin dual HRM - it’s so old I am not sure if it captures HRV though
.
Failing all the above, Christmas is coming and I think I deserve a Polar H10 for being a good boy ![]()
Great decision. Polar H10 is by far the best option
I have a Garmin Dual. It consistently records HRV with artifact well below the threshold of 5% As long as I make sure to wet it properly
I’d test that one first if you already have it. You might be able to save yourself $90
Brought mine Polar H10 for 54€ at last Amazon day, less than 1% artifacts.
That’s a crazy good deal. Never seen it close to that stateside.
Would have been hard to resist.
Great suggestions both. I will definitely try again with the HRM Pro+ and wetting the electrodes though @Inigo_Tolosa was clear it won’t record if it is connected as native sensor recording directly into the fit file. It’d be a real shame as that would stop other apps for analysing HR their metrics. Really something Garmin should look into (plus their sampling frequency on the ANT+ channel).
Incidentally, when I was trialling AI Endurance, it used to calculate DFA1 with artefact rate <5% consistently; but it’s obviously done in retrospect from the native sensor. If the H10 prices drops in the UK market, I might snag one regardless ![]()
Garmin Dual will work with AlphaHRV, I own one myself.
If purchasing a new strap, go for the Polar H10. It’s the most versatile and also allows ECG which can’t be done with the Garmin dual.
AI Endurance can calculate a1 post activity if your Garmin is set to record HRV. Garmin device will then record and store the RR intervals in the FIT file. That’s the stream used by AI Endurance to calculate a1 during post-processing.
Most important thing to know for AlphaHRV is that you should not use the same protocol as the native HR on your device. Best solution is to use BLE to your device and ANT+ to AlphaHRV. If your strap has 2 BLE channels, there’s still one left for another device/app. And the ANT+ from the strap can connect to numerous other recording devices. But more and more watches have dropped ANT+ support and only allow BLE connections. That’s why you need to think beforehand what exactly you need. There’s a max of 2 BLE channels.
Huzzah!!! It worked!
In my excitement I did the noob thing of changing quite few variables all in one go so I’m not 100% clear which actually led to the HRM Pro+ working with alphaHRV working on the Edge unit, but it probably was @Duppie suggestion of wetting the electrodes, as well as -possibly- removing the HRM as native sensor and only re-adding it AFTER the capture data stage (?) (currently it’s BLE to AlphaHRV and ANT+ as native sensor to the Edge unit). I could swap things around but I’m now too scared to mess with it. In any case, since the setup with the Fenix is still broken, I’ll be more methodical in trying to establish the correct sequence in fixing this.
Back to the actual HRV training topic itself, I read Rogers et al. latest paper on setting a custom Alpha-1 point to better reflect HRVT1: “the novel finding presented here indicates that this target needs to be derived from the maximum DFA a1 seen early in an individual’s ramp incremental.” 1
This is similar yet different to the readiness value, correct? It seems the linear regression analysis used to calculate readiness compares against past activity values rather than a “set in stone” value such as a1 = 0.75 therefore bypassing the whole issue with HRVT1 vs GET. It’s super neat ![]()
But for those still looking at setting a custom Threshold 1 value other than 0.75; can the calculation be done in app?
E.g. identify highest a1 point during the first zero to five minutes window (or zero to ten minutes window; the paper is quite vague), calculate the mean followed by a custom message like the readiness blob: your custom HRVT1 a1 is: xx ?
I found this thread, and I read a lot of things.
Basically I have Garmin FR965 and Garmin HRM Pro +.
What is the most accurate mode? ANT+ or BLE (on watch sensor settings)
First delete the HRM Pro+ from the watch.
Then open your IQ Connect app and in your AlphaHRV setting change the sensor to closest ANT+. Then in the watch connect to the HRM Pro+ via BLE.
AlphaHRV connect to HRM Pro+ via ANT directly and therefore bypass Garmin reduced sampling rate.
At least that’s what I’m now using with my Fenix 7x.
HRM PRo does have some issues though and it has been suggested to connect to one or the other ( ie either to the watch OR the AlphaHRV but not both) but in my experience following these steps I managed to get both AlphaHRV and the watch to pick up HR.
I hope that helps.
Best wishes
Perfect. But if I decide to not use AlphaHRV (I’m only testing it), if I just only connect to get HR… I’m curious… Would you connect Garmin HRM Pro + with BLE instead of ANT+? Will it be more accurate?
Because Garmin recommends to use ANT+ instead of BLE…
You will have the option to have both HR sources written to FIT file. AlphaHRV uses the special ANT+ for its calculations
If you are not as interested in AlphaHRV - I’d conect the watch to your HRM Pro+ via ANT+. Your HRM Pro+ can broadcast to more than one device via ANT+ (with BLE you can connect it to one device only).
But from my understanding, you said that Garmin using ANT has reduced sampling rate… or this is also applied to BLE?
I think I also read somewhere that ANT produces more artifacts and “noise” that BLE…
I only connect my HRM Pro+ to my FR965. My question is: is this more accurate via BLE instead of ANT?
The reduced sampling rate is only relevant for recording HRV data in activity (in this instance using AlphaHRV) and not really applicable for activity recording purely for HR, resp rate, etc. For those metrics ANT+ is really more than enough.
Again when there is talk of “artifacts” this is really confined to the world of HRV where you’re looking to getting as good ECG trace as possible amd being able to pick up atrial premature complexes etc. Again, this should not be confused with normal daily activity recording.
alphaHRV uses its own connection to the HRM and is independent of the native connection you set up through the device’s sensors menu.
Garmin provides accurate heart rate values regardless of the selected connection mode. However, if you want to record RR intervals, BLE must be used for native pairing. This is because Garmin uses ANT in a low-frequency mode that may miss beats during medium-to-high heart rate conditions.
For alphaHRV, it does not matter whether you use ANT or BLE. The app handles both modes correctly under all circumstances, across the full range of heart rates. alphaHRV can save A1, respiration rate, RRa1, heart rate, and readiness data to the FIT file, provided these parameters are enabled. However, alphaHRV does not save RR intervals. That functionality is handled by Garmin using data received through its native connection to the HRM.
Please note that using the same connection mode for both the device’s native pairing and alphaHRV is not supported by Garmin and will cause one of the connections to fail in detecting the sensor.
Use the connection instructions for the HRM provided in the app description on the Garmin Connect Store. For Garmin HRMs, it is highly likely that they will suffer issues related to dual connections, even when correctly using ANT/BLE modes. Alternatively, they may connect but fail to send RR-int data to alphaHRV. In such cases, you should disable the connection with the device.