alphaHRV (update)

Version 0.9.75 of alphaHRV is available for update.
This release finally provides every user the option to display real time evolution of (RespRate/alpha-1) vs Heart Rate
Below an example of the data field when this new graph is selected. Information is shown as:

• Orange area: cloud of all recorded points during the activity/workout
  • Blue line: pattern extracted by alphaHRV
  • White dot: current point

In case that you use an Edge device with touch screen (830, 1030, 1040) the chart legend allows alternating this new chart and the standard one (alpha-1 vs time).

While RR/a1 seems an interesting parameter to evaluate AeT during specific tests, plotting it vs HR allows to use this parameter even for obtaining information during non structured activities.

6 Likes

I’ve already written about this somewhere, alphaHRV shows me RESP 40 while driving slowly. Counting my breaths during this time, it comes out that I have 16-17 breaths per minute. Is this the way it should be? The heart rate monitor is a Polar H10.

alphaHRV should correspond to your real respiration rate. If this is around 17 brpm, you should find a similar result in alphaHRV
If you share a fit file with alphaHRV (ANT+) data and native HRV recorded by Garmin in BLE mode, I will try to analyse your case

Thanks for the heads up on the new version - now is the time for me to jump in a try it I think!

Do you have a specific protocol we should adopt for evaluating AeT with the new update and RR/a1?

A ramp with 10 % FTP increase per 6 min is what Luisma and Inigo are using per this post:

Start with a very low intensity steady step at 40% and if you only want to test AeT, you can stop at 90-95% FTP.

1 Like

Thanks @MedTechCD - I might try this in the coming days. Would like to get a better estimation of my LT1 that I currently have

Just make sure to use a ramp and not steps!
From 50 to 90% would be a 24min ramp.

1 Like

Like this?

For example, here:
https://intervals.icu/activities/i12002246

RESP oscillates around 30-40 all the time, and when I counted my breaths it was about 15-18 breaths per minute. Riding in the middle of the Z2 zone.

I haven’t done any workout with the latest version but updated yesterday to check out the new functionality.
I was siiting down and my resp rate came out as 18-20 on the app. In reality it was only 5-6 brpm.
I saw differences with 9.70 but can’t remember them being that big. Maybe something went wrong with latest update?
Another thing I noticed: the functionality on Edge with touchscreen to change the chart from a1 to RR/a1 works but then it is no longer possible to get to the Edge Home screen from the app screen. Not a big problem if you have other screens but annoying if you have a one screen profile…

Thanks for sharing this activity @Wojciech_Marszalkows
I have postprocessed the RR-int series saved in the fit file and results are quite coherent with data provided by alphaHRV in real time.
15-18 br/min seems too low for an activity where you reach 145 ppm (drift 15 ppm). When have you count breaths? Have you done it for a short or long time?
In case of alphaHRV resprate is the average of the last xx seconds, where xx is configurable by the user. I recommend to use 60s

There’s no modification for resp rate calculation, so same results as before should be obtained now. Let me know if you find any incongruent data during next activities
Issue that was preventing you go to home screen is already fixed in v0.9.76

1 Like

I counted several times during the activity. I counted for one minute. At first it was 16-18 breaths per minute, at the end of the activity 20, maybe 22 breaths per minute. Well, but not 30-40. Maybe the counting process itself affects the breathing rate? Maybe there is something wrong with my heart or lungs :slight_smile: I didn’t change the settings in the app.
One breath is an inhale and exhale?

I think we should not focus too much on counting breaths. The important thing is that the RR/a1 chart nicely shows a deflection point and that deflection point, at least for me, corresponds rather well with a noticeable change in breathing rate/depth. Which would mean that it is close to AeT.
To check accuracy of the breathing rate, we should rely on people that have other means of directly measuring resp rate.
@Michael_Madner has a TymeWear shirt which is known to have very good resp rate. It would be nice if he could compare to AlphaHRV.
Even if the absolute resprate is off, it can still be very valuable if the trend is correct.

2 Likes

@Inigo_Tolosa Are you ok if I mention this app on other cycling forums ?

Sure, you can talk about it anywhere

1 Like

It’s already discussed on a few other cycling-based forums.

1 Like

Now I’m confused. Inigo is saying steps and you are saying a ramp. Also I’m not sure what the =3s means. Is that 3sec average on the Garmin?

There´s a bit of confusion posibly caused by language barrier. But I´m quote sure.
This post confirms
New AlphaHRV version - #20 by Luisma_Gallego_Soy_P

Earlier in the thread this was shown:

I’d just like to be clear that we are on the same page re terminology. I’ve always thought that was a step test.