Workout builder

I believe you need a space between the “-” and the time interval.

1 Like

exactly.
Some times is works some doesn’t.
But always works when using add step.

I have just fixed this bug (you might need to reload the app to get the new version). As @Calum_Young said it was related to having a space after the “-”. If you did that it was ok. The code to insert that space was buggy.

2 Likes

Thanks David, works great now :slight_smile:

What’s the best way to get a workout onto a Wahoo device? Ideally want to use these for outdoor rides

The forum search function is your friend :grinning:

Not an easy way tho.

Been using this when prescribing all out efforts less than 30s.
Does it make any difference if I also pass an FTP percentage?
It seems like with 100 the trainer resistance becomes impossibly hard (unless you’re spinning super fast and have a low great)
The documentation above only specifies duration for max effort, so I assume there is no way to set it lower.
Don’t understand why they didn’t just implement slope mode instead…

1 Like

Hi David,

First time trying outside Garmin (Fenix 5x) workout but no lucky here.
The following workout has showed avg speed in the center and no pointer at the gauge when both should be related to heart rate.

Warm up

• Press lap 5m 75% LTHR (113bpm)

2x

• 20m 78% LTHR (118bpm)
  • 8m 82% LTHR (124bpm)
  • 4m 85% LTHR (128bpm)

Cooldow

• 5m 75% LTHR (113bpm)

Tks,

Hi @david,

I had never tried to create an workout using Garmin builder but I’ve found that they don’t even have an option to create a step based on percentages… so if you wanna a custom zone you have to use absolute figures.

What if you add a command to use what its in the parentheses instead?
I don’t know such as - 10m range Garmin 50-60% LTHR …

Thank you,

I don’t quite understand what “range” would do here? If you to 50-60% it will already do a range?

Hi David,

I’m sorry if sometimes I choose the wrong wording due to a language barrier.
let me try to explain:

1. ICU workout command line “- 20m 78% LTHR (118bpm)” does not do anything on Garmin.
  2. Creating a similar possible equivalent command directly at Garmin’s workout builder would be something like : bike - duration 20m - target- 115 to 120 bpm (see the picture bellow) once there is no option at Garmin to express as percentage.
  3. What I wanted was a Garmin gauge with 78% LTHR right in the middle.
    I´ve created the range (115 to 120 ) only for the purpose to have a 118bpm (78% LTHR) in the middle.
  4. Anything you can do to overcome the lack of % base definition on Garmin would be welcome. My idea of the previous picture was to put the absolute values of your command (that appear between the parentheses)
    -10m range 50-60% LTHR (76-91bpm) as "target: 76 to 91 " on Garmin’s workout.

Than you,

The gauge is the green part.

76 and 91 would be the extremes of the green

So doesn’t it work at all? I can probably fix that. I will bug my wife @Antoinette_Tinker to help as she has a Garmin watch and does some running.

1 Like

Yep. doesn’t work.
Bellow you find what are Garmin’s targets.

And if choose “custom zone” the only option is a “range” as a target.

Thank you,

My wife and I did some testing and it works on my Edge 130+ but not on her Forerunner 230. I get a display telling me the HR range for the step. She just gets “20m bike”. I suspect it is because the workout is generated with HEART_RATE_LAP target.

I have implemented support for other target types and will deploy Sunday AM (GMT+2). Hopefully it works!

1 Like

Thank you.

Just for the record mine is Fenix 5x

Looks like the fix works:

3 Likes

Even though I haven’t tried on mine yet your response is outstanding.

Thank you

I’ll give more info tomorrow after my test but follows a heads up:

Both workouts bellow are “identical” but they show different total time and load.

Old Training

Warm up

• 3m 45% (104w)

• 3m 55% (127w)

• 1m 60% (139w)

• 1m 65% (150w)

• 1m 70% (162w)

• 1m 75% (173w)

• 1m 80% (185w)

• 4m 70% (162w)

• 2m 45% (104w)

2x

• 3m 107% (247w)

• 3m 45% (104w)

• 3m 45% (104w)

2x

• 3m 107% (247w)

• 3m 45% (104w)

• 15m 66% (152w)
    Garmin

Warmup

• 3m 45% (104w) power=3s
  • 3m 55% (127w) power=3s
  • 1m 60% (139w) power=3s
  • 1m 65% (150w) power=3s
  • 1m 70% (162w) power=3s
  • 1m 75% (173w) power=3s
  • 1m 80% (185w) power=3s
  • 4m 70% (162w) power=3s
  • 2m 45% (104w) power=3s

2x

• 3m 107% (247w) power=3s
  • 3m 45% (104w) power=3s
  • 3m 45% (104w) power=3s

2x

• 3m 107% (247w) power=3s

• 3m 45% (104w) power=3s

• 15m 66% (152w) power=3s

Importing it to Rouvy worked pretty fine.

Regards,

hi @david

Here is my take after the test.
Besides the above I have one comment/suggestion:

Using non “range” targets on Garmin’s workout page is impossible due the fact the gauge has a range. Without a range the pointer keeps jumping around like crazy mainly with power.

Because it doesn’t make sense to specify a range for an ERG mode workout, in order to not have to create specific workouts for ERG and no ERG mode my suggestion is either or:

Because Garmin is not the one controlling the trainer and the app that does that needs a file uploaded to it:

1. we create non range workouts and you add an automatic % range up and down when synchronizing with Garmin that needs that and the downloaded workouts would remain unchanged for use ERG on controlling apps.

2. Vice-Versa. we create range files targeting the use on Garmin’s and you would take the average when downloading the workouts for ERG use.

3. at least to put a warning in the steps of the workout builder to always choose “RANGE” for power and hr when using a Garmin like you you do for HR : "If you are using a Garmin watch you must use “Instant HR”. But on this way we would have to create one workout for Garmin and other for using on ERG mode.

Regards,

There is already support for automatically making workouts uploaded to Garmin use a range:

Just click the numbers to change the % of the range. This is applied to all fixed power/HR targets.

2 Likes