Workout builder ramp function in Garmin

The workout builder is awesome and works really well. When I use the ramp feature eg ramp 50% 70%, it works in Zwift, but when I do the same workout in Garmin 830, the ramp just widens the acceptable range and picks midpoint t rather than ramping. All other workout features working the same in both ZWO and Garmin.

Anyone got any experience with this and. Ould help? Thanks

1 Like

If also noticed this. When my Garmin 830 goes the the next workout step, it shows a power range around the correct value, and then use the average of these range values. Even if the workout step value in the workout builder has no range. The result power setting on my trainer (in ERG mode) is correct, but it’s still strange why an average value is used.

Because of this I can’t use the ramp function in icu workout builder. Instead I use small increasing/decreasing steps simulating a continues ramp.

Is this caused by my Garmin or not?

1 Like

As far as I know Garmin does not support ramps. I could construct a ramp automatically in small steps but there is a 50 step limitation for workouts uploaded to Garmin Connect which would become a problem.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for the reply David, I can manually create a few small step ups as a workaround and get the result. Great site again!

I ran into this issue also so I made a simple Google Sheet to make steps for me. Give it a try:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZAGsVv4atPf-UXn0I0hD2dw1eLa1nPHFfx-ScHqDmo0/copy

1 Like

Hi! I just noticed this issue today. It would be great to have an automatic function to create steps for Garmin. Or maybe an option in Step builder to convert a ramp into x number of steps.
Now that I know I’ll start adding steps manually.

You’re still gonna get hit if you have more than 50 steps in a workout tho. Just keep that in mind.

1 Like

As @app4g says the 50 step limit is an issue so its probably better for people to make manual ramps as they can decide how many steps to “use up” on the ramp based on the rest of the workout.

I’ve found the same issue, Garmin Edge 830 takes a workout RAMP and (in erg mode) forces the rider to produce the average wattage of the ramp.
My Wahoo Bolt is quite happy to implement a ramp in ERG mode.
The Garmin even when displaying the Workout on-screen does not show the segment as a ramp.
I’ve opened a Garmin Support ticket on this, let’s see where this goes!
ramp

Barry

Garmin still does not support workouts with ramp steps. It will read a ramp step as you have described. I have never seen anyone from Garmin (Garmin forums, Garmin support, subreddit, etc.) say that they were planning on including it in a future update, but I typically stay on the running side of things.