When to use absolute form

When is it better to use percentage of fitness instead of an absolute number? If you train a lot- is absolute number more “correct”?

1 Like

Yes the absolute number is the original way of doing it. It also works better than the % if you are just starting out.

1 Like

Changing from % to absolute makes a marked difference, using % I am constantly in the ‘High Risk’ area, using absolute I am in the ‘Optimal’ range. Is there any reading I can do to decide what’s most appropriate?

1 Like

It’s just another way of referencing your form.
When fitness is low (just starting or picking up after a longer break), better use absolute value. That’s because a % of a low number is a very low number. Any medium activity will immediately drive you in the Red zone when using %. With fitnes at 20, red zone would be at -6 in % mode but -30 in absolute mode.
If you are a very active athlete (fitness number over 150 for example), better use %. That’s because people used to a high workload can handle more load & fatigue. In this case Absolute values would drive you in the Red zone while percentage-wise you would be ok. In the example of fitness at 150, you could handle a form of -45 in % mode but only -30 in absolute mode.
It goes without saying that you need to evaluate yourself. Don’t just stare at the numbers but be honest and slow down when you feel fatigue, even if the numbers say the opposite!
In time, you will get a good idea of what load you can handle to get better. And you won’t get any better when exercising in a fatigued state even if the numbers say you do. So measure performance enhancements over a longer period and look at your fitness chart to get a grip on what state of fitness/form was most productive.

3 Likes

There lies the problem, I have been doing high intensity, but ‘only’ 6-8 hours a week volume, therefore my ‘fitness’ is in the 40-50 range but I don’t necessarily think this reflects my fitness, or fatigue realistically. Using TRIMP seems to take intervals into account, or weight them more heavily when calculating fitness/fatigue… but I’m still learning. Agree 100% on evaluating yourself, I find I am naturally quite motivated, and it’s difficult to listen to the warning signs or put them down to transient feelings of a bad day rather than overtraining for example.

Consider resting HRV measurements to keep you on track. There are really good apps for HRV now and the low or high RMSSD values make you think twice when deciding what to do today.
HRV guided training is becoming more and more a hot topic.

To be honest I did try it for a month or so, I found HRV did not correlate to how I felt that day or how rested I was, I was using a chest strap and EliteHRV. I had high hopes but it just became a faff @ 5am that didn’t seem to bring any useful insights unfortunately.

From 30 days on, the HRV values become meaningfull because you need a baseline. So you gave up to early :wink:
Have a read at the HRV4Training blog. This really gives a good insight on how to use HRV. Consistency and long term data are KEY.
https://medium.com/@altini_marco/the-ultimate-guide-to-heart-rate-variability-hrv-part-1-70a0a392fff4

I have ordered an Oura ring to see how well monitoring resting HR and HRV works for me re managing training. I tried doing the “finger over phone camera” thing and that didn’t work well. I definitely need a no faff system! Way too impatient to put on a chest strap!

1 Like

But with the price of Oura Ring I prefer to pay to someone put my chest strap! :joy::joy::joy:

True. It’s not cheap. This HRV stuff had better be useful!

I bought the little finger sensor thing from EliteHRV. I wouldn’t mind one that does it overnight automatically though (alongside Sleep As Android perhaps).

I’ve just been looking at getting my data out of EliteHRV (I have a lot of historic stuff). They have the export, but it’s raw values that’ll need processing. Not sure if there’s a good option for that. Ongoing, I’m not sure where it’s best to use the integrations to export to. I guess wherever I can use to get it into here?

I am opposite of this. With % I am in “optimal range”, and absolute I am more in red. Right now I choose to use what reflects how I feel the most.

In the week I wake for turbo session then work 1:30-2hrs before my wife, rolling out of bed as quietly and quickly as possible is key to marital peace (must have an impact on HRV!!). Putting on a chest strap and sitting still for 2m30s as the elitehrv app inevitably emits a loud “BONG!” noise because I forgot to mute app sounds was just a bridge too far.

I was also tempted by the corsense finger clamp thing as that looked easier, but after 6 weeks of chest strapping and the results seemingly bearing no indication to how I actually felt I gave up…