Using pause during training

My training normally consists of warming up- stretch - run - cooling down.
During stretching I pause my Garmin.
In Garmin Connect this is removed from my training.
In Intervals.icu the time paused is added to the run. Is there a way to change this. My stats are off by this.

4 Likes

Which stats are being impacted? Intervals.icu mostly displays moving time which shouldnā€™t include paused time. Short pauses are shown in the activity trace charts, long pauses (coffee stops) are removed.

The outlined interval is the one with a pause. Total time and the other stats are effected.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s one of mine. The moving time is 36:55 but the graphed time is the elapsed time, 55 minutes , and thereā€™s a long pause where Iā€™m waiting for something. The watched auto paused, hence the difference in moving and elapsed time.

Then thereā€™s a bunch of pauses where Iā€™m shopping.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s the equivalent garmin graphs.

1 Like

Same here. It shows the total time instead of the time i actually ride.
Will pauses like this impact ride eFTP calculations?

1 Like

i (personally) find that the pause times flat graph provides a better overview of the run/ride I did vs the one that is shown in Garmin Connect.

With Garmin Connect, I have no idea the amount of time spent at ā€œcoffee stopsā€ or rather, time spent at CheckPoints during eg: a Trail Race / Transition time during an ironman type event.

AFAIK, it does not. Itā€™s removed from it.

3 Likes

Well, Iā€™ve turned auto-pause off on my watch so the intervals.icu graphs will look prettier. :laughing:

for pretty ones, I just use the ones from Strava / Garmin Connect :wink:

Agree with OP, itā€™d be nice if there were an option to remove pauses entirely from the graphs etc.

5 Likes

I second that, also would like to have an option for that. Another side effect of the pause being considered is that it increases the lack of sync between the planned workout and the actual workout.
I would like not to have the pauses waiting for a traffic light interfere with the period I am in or out of an interval.

3 Likes

They (hopefully, i.e., rightly) do;-)

And WĀ“, and HRR, ā€¦
Think this says enough to show my opinionā€¦

I think most coaches would say itā€™s against the idea of a workout to hide the time spent recovering.

5 Likes

I wouldnā€™t say itā€™s ā€˜hidingā€™, and itā€™s probably different (culturally?) for running vs cycling, but short pauses due to things like crossing a street is very normal and doesnā€™t impact a workout or long runā€™s fitness value at all

I have added a ā€œShow pausesā€ slider to the ā€œOptionsā€ popup:

Pauses longer than this setting are not displayed on the chart. This is stored per sport.

9 Likes

It is a nice feature, but the calculations for the laps still include the pause.
Nothing to do about that?

1 Like

Unfortunately that is much more difficult to do. All the calculations and so on assume you are doing hill repeats or similar (like in cycling) which generally wonā€™t have pauses (if there are it counts because it is rest)/ Its not really geared to intervals that are just random 1km chunks of your run.

2 Likes

Why is the minimum of the pause needs to be 30s? Could it be changed so that I can hide even smaller pauses?

It is now 10s and the slider works in 10s steps.

1 Like