Traveling for 3 Weeks During the Build Phase. Can I replace cycling with running?

We decided to take family on a 3 week holiday to Spain which will be in the middle of my build phase for mountainbike XCO racing. We are planning to go very light so bringing a bike is not an option and even renting may be overly complicated. I am wondering if doing my workouts running would be beneficial to my training especially since I have quite a few interval days. I couldn’t see myself doing 2 hour endurance runs but 1 hour interval sessions would be manageable.

1 Like

Do you have a history of running?

You can run, but i would not do 1hr interval sessions. Your lungs and cardio will be fine, but you open yourself up to injury as a result of your body not be used to the stresses of running.

My advise would be doing some really easy runs and maybe mix in some moderate hill repeats and if possible some strong hiking…

Enjoy the vaca

2 Likes

That’s a good question. I used but now I do 30 min runs mainly for the benefit of bone density. I was planning to do more in next 6 weeks to build base.

1 Like

During vacation, at 2021, i`ve tried replace it. As mentioned below, soreness was the biggest problem, as my heart was ready I abused and next day I could not even stand my legs from bed. For sure the cardiovascular system will not be stimulated as a cycling activity but it will be a good way to keep your fitness as soon you keep the desired load. To avoid this soreness, try to use a treadmill machine, two reason:
1- You will save your legs from part of impact caused from running;
2- You can walk/jogging instead of running if you slop the treadmill arround 6-8 degrees (6 is better option).
If you make those above, I think soreness will be something 80% less, even if you make those 2h that you have in mind.

1 Like