Training Plan Periodisation Planner

Would it be possible to add in a feature where we could have training blocks. Where we could set the focus of the week. So that we can plan out our macro, meso & microcycles in advance and know what we will be training.

And then even better if we could then look at a list for just the cycles so that we can see what upcoming cycles we have scheduled!

e.g.
1st Jan - 28th Jan
Base Training

1 Like

Depending on your level of planning ability, you can use Notes and Target Duration/Load/Distance on the calendar entry, and then use Excel as a tool to supplement your planning.

Start here:

and here:

2 Likes

As Gerald mentioned you can use notes to indicate blocks. They can span multiple weeks and show on the fitness chart as well:

Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 21.03.48

1 Like

Adding a +1 on to the request.

I have seen and read the details of @Gerald 's fantastic work, but this is the one thing preventing moving from training peaks.

Inspite of being a programmer and software architect I simply don’t have the time to play with TP , its just there, and i can use it.

I suspect then are many other potential users which to no have the technical skill of comfort ot use an integrated excel solution unless in installed and configures for them. we need to remember the application is no the goal, the training result is.

Looking at the quality of the other analysis tools in intervals , i am sure a planner wold beat hands down anything TP has.

kind regards

Julian

4 Likes

Would you consider adding an option to show the training plan you are following like a note on the fitness chart? You can obviously already create a note that spans the full training plan, but something like this should be linked IMO.

This would be useful for me, but if most people prefer “splitting” their plan by phases using notes as-is I can see it being sort of redundant.

I’m right there with you@PolderPhantom, I am also a developer and solutions architect, I approach my work [and life in general] with the mindset of “work smarter, not harder”. @Gerald has done some great work and I’ve taken some time to play around with his approach, but with all due respect, it’s a lot of work, lots of steps, context switching etc. in my opinion, just not sustainable over time. I was a TP customer and moved to Intervals and am very happy I did, but the one thing that keeps tugging at me to go back to TP is the ATP functionality (sorry David :slight_smile: ). I really believe if an ATP function can be added to Intervals [and based on all the work David has done and his skill set, I believe an Intervals ATP function better than the TP version is a reality], more athletes will jump ship from TP to Intervals, IMHO, it’s the one big thing missing from Intervals.

4 Likes

@david if you want an offline discussion about the work, and data, required for an ATP, let me know.

3 Likes

I think, must of the data is there, and most of it will be user interface work and graphing.

What would be nice would be to figure out hope to draft plans based on the various periodization types. I know a lot of people in the audax/ultra world use reverse periodization, because of winter daylight and temperature and the goad, of the end of the period lookin like “race day”

speaking of drafts, it would be nice to have multiple drafts, but one active, for the sake of comparison and for reset/refocus when unexpected events happen eg injury or sickness

Considering all that out of the box functionality, which is, I have to agree, partially a bit hidden and you need to know how to use ICU properly, you can do a lot regarding periodisation.

Example is given with how to use to certain events in the calendar.

I agree also, especially when it comes to weekly overviews, some UI and UX tweak would make it easier to understand.

I see rather the complexity behind all of that yearly, quarterly, periodised planning when it comes down to multisports, where 3 to 6 certain disciplines have to be considered.

@johannesh83 oh I agree is should be accessible/visible/tunable so that people like your self can drill down. Transparency is important to help understanding, but it should not be mandatory to understand or manipulate it at this level.

If time is money , how many hours are you going to spend before switching to/from a tool that cost $80 or what ever per year ? And then there are many people out there, that are just not “tech savy”

As you say , the majority of it realy is UI and a bit of “first cut” automation" for UX