Training plan for running and cycling

Hi, just found intervals.icu from Reddit after too much frustration with Garmin’s Training Status feature. I really like the fitness chart and am looking forward to using it to guide my progress.

I’m 45 and have been cycling casually for a long time, more seriously the last couple of years. Since last August, I’ve been cycling 3 days a week, running 3 days a week, coming back from plantar fasciitis that hobbled my running for ~3 years. I’ve slowly recovered to a point where I can run 6kms @7mins/km and feel no or very little discomfort on my foot the following day. Building up running distance has been my main focus and I’d like to continue to build up until I can run a 10k race, with a long term goal of running longer distances.

With regard to cycling I have no specific goal at the moment. I did a 200km Rando event and while it didn’t kill me, it did take me 5-6 days to recover, so I feel like I overdid it a little. It’d be nice if I could do 200km events and feel ok in a couple days, ride longer events etc.

My question is: what kind of training plan would the more experienced recommend if I want to keep both running and cycling at least until it becomes too cold to cycle, with my primary focus being building up running distance? I’m planning to keep the run x3 / bike x3 split and try to add my weekly run mileage by 10% each week. But I’d love to get some advice on whether I can improve the plan by varying the run / cycling training types. I’ve heard a lot about a mix of intervals / distance / recovery being good for building up, but would like a bit more specific advice that covers both running and cycling. E.g. if I feel that my PF progress does not yet allow for running intervals, would it make sense to substitute one with cycling intervals?

Thanks in advance.

When you have a good enough base (running) you can do the VO2 workouts on the run, by doing sprint repeats up a hill, and then long endurance/tempo rides on the bike.

Here’s a good start to listen:

1 Like

Make sure to read this section:

Some quick recommendations/tips:

• Both running and Cycling will build/maintain cardiovascular fitness which is the slowest to adapt. During base periods, you can do whichever you want/can to give your PF problem the chance to heal without loosing fitness
  • Concentrate more on one or the other when you get close to your main event. Muscle adaptation is faster compared to cardiovascular.
  • The Nordic countries are well known for much more variance in sporting disciplines during base phases. They run, hike, ski, cycle, row,…
2 Likes

@thebearmaster: I don’t know the answer to your questions, but I do know that one place I would start looking in order to find answers would be That Triathlon Show.

1 Like

I would say that gradually increasing the training and rest are key. Especially listen to your body and track the RPE for every workout you do. I, too, use Garmin’s Training status targets as a guidepost to what to focus on (low/high aerobic, anaerobic).