Training Plan Advice Request

Hello

I’m an average, middle aged , relatively novice cyclist. I work part time and have signed up for the Maratona dles Dolomites in July 2023. I have a turbo and one of my outdoor bikes (summer bike) has a power meter. I use an online workout builder to import workouts into RGT Wahoo, Wahoo Element Bolt and intervals.icu

I have just finished a 12 week training block based on The Time Crunched Cyclist (last few weeks affected by a niggle and illness). And have designed two more training blocks staring in January separated by a rest period. I have adapted the intervals from The time crunched cyclist to remove zone 3 intervals and increase the amount of time in Zone 2. Each week basically has 2 interval sessions (SS, power intervals or over unders) and 2 longer zone 2 sessions. Too big to post directly here.

I was hoping that a coach or an experienced cyclist could take a look at the plan and offer opinions and advice. My Strava is private (I’m a doctor). But think you can see my training plan if you follow me on here?

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Hi,

You always plan from the events date backwards towards present day.
watch 3 parts of this video (here i gave you part1 but they are 2 more):

periodisation is the key, you slowly rise from z2 into z3 and z4, and you slowly periodise every block with longer intervals
ps. illness could be due to lack of rest or too much load/ramp
ps2. watch those videos and then ask more questions :slight_smile:
cheerz

//sorry for such a late repsonse

1 Like

The Time Crunched Cyclist training blocks require more recovery/rest after each block, due to the nature of the training.

Are you building in the added rest/recovery?

1 Like

Hi,

Yes I have created 4-6 week rest blocks.between the training blocks ( which I have since modified further).

Thanks for your help

1 Like

for Maratona, volume and climbing will be your best friend. Get in an appropriate amount of time on the bike that life allows, and after building up to some long rides (4-6h), and maybe even one that is near the duration for which Maratona level you are doing (don’t do it a week before though, too close to event IMO)

Good luck Samir!

Brendan

1 Like

Thanks Brendan - lucky enough to have some hills nearby to get some good climbing done. Plenty of long rides planned (lucky I have an understanding family!)